Question about Sat connections on new 5th wheels and DTV receiver connections...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a R22-100 receiver in my 2008 3400RE. I'm not referring to anything about the roof mounted antennas. I use the SD on a tripod. I also don't use the cubes or such to connect to the satellite. At this time I only use the SD service but may be interested in going to HD if I can handle the bigger antenna.

The new receivers, mainly SD not HD, do they still need two inputs to received and record programs or do they only need 1 cable input. Also are the newer 5th wheel trailers wired for one or two satellite input's. Mine only had one to the entertainment area in the back. I had to cut the cable going from the living room to the bedroom to provide two cable inputs.

Also I have been calling Directv and all I get is people from the Philippians. I can't understand them and I don't think they have any idea of having a Receiver in an RV. I asked them to transfer me to an American agent so I can get the information I was looking for. No luck. What have you found out. It seems Directv is going down hill since being taken over by AT&T..

BC

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob I have a directv manual setup HD Dish. It only requires 1 cable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hey Bob . . .

We have DirecTv at home and have not been happy at all with their over-the-phone customer service.

Not to mention their random price increases . . . ours has gone up $30/month in the last six months. :mad:

I am about ready to dig out the roof antenna and put it back up!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob I have a directv manual setup HD Dish. It only requires 1 cable.

Thanks
for the info. I was thinking about updating my DTV and getting a new receiver. I also was thinking about the new trailers having only one satellite connection.

Can you record programs and if so how many at one time. On mine I can record two programs if I am watching one I previously recorded. Otherwise I have to watch one of the programs being recorded...

Also can you watch different program on another receiver in your bedroom or basement with only one Satellite connection.

BC

2psnapod2

With our Genie, which is required for HD, we can reord 6 at a time.

2psnapod2

Yes I can pause and move to the bedroom or outside.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
BC, your receiver is mainly used as a door stop these days.
The newer technology is the SWIM. These receivers and dish systems require only one coax into your coach. That one wire can handle multiple receivers as well as two + tuners if you have a DVR in the receiver.

Peace
Dave

DCG1986

Ohio Chapter Leaders
I found Sat systems can be confusing. It took me awhile to learn the terminology. We only wanted one provider account for home and travel. We have a Hopper 3 with Dish Network in Ohio. Started with a portable dish in Florida, it wasn't hard to set up and worked great for the 6 months while we were there. On our way back to Ohio I found it was difficult sometimes impossible to get set up to get a satellite signal. Finally with a lot of internet research ended up with the roof top Trav'ler it's a little expensive but it is the easiest way to go. So far we are happy with it.

bobca1

I found Sat systems can be confusing. It took me awhile to learn the terminology. We only wanted one provider account for home and travel. We have a Hopper 3 with Dish Network in Ohio. Started with a portable dish in Florida, it wasn't hard to set up and worked great for the 6 months while we were there. On our way back to Ohio I found it was difficult sometimes impossible to get set up to get a satellite signal. Finally with a lot of internet research ended up with the roof top Trav'ler it's a little expensive but it is the easiest way to go. So far we are happy with it.
I have been using a winegard X1 for past 2 years and worked ok but problems with signal if cloudy or not a perfect view to the south. Main issue was only able to view one satellite at a time a problem since I have 2 tvs. Just installed a Travlr last week and while I have yet to actually connect a receiver, it's very cool to power on and watch it scan and lock on. I'm sure I'll get stronger signal with this larger dish. Glad to hear yours is working well for you!

Gaffer

I ordered a DVR installation for my BH. I insisted on an SD receiver so I could use my 18 inch round dish. What I found out is that the SD DVR works with either the SD dish or a SWM HD dish. The difference is my receiver will only tape 2 shows at once. The advantage is you can use an inexpensive meter to lock onto the sats. I look up the azimuth, elevation and skew before leaving and preset the elevation and skew. When I arrive at the new location I set a broom stick on the ground pointing at the correct compass direction. Then setting the dish on the tripod, I align the LNB arm parallel with the broom stick. Some fine tuning of the azimuth and elevation will get me in the high 90's very quickly. With the meter It goes very fast and I don't need to see or hear the TV or keep the wife on the phone viewing the signal strength meter. Just make sure that tripod is vertical. I use a fence post level. It has a bubble on two sides and magnets to keep it on the riser.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: