Question for new Dodge owners

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I just ordered a 2014 Ram 3500 and requested the "fifth-wheel/gooseneck towing prep group" which includes "in-bed seven pin harness connection and mounting provisions for 5th wheel or gooseneck hitches". My question is which hitches does this accommodate? I see that the dealer options have a Ram 5th wheel hitch with glider (manual). I wonder if this is the only 5th wheel hitch that the prep package will accommodate. I currently have a Pullrite SuperGlide automatic hitch that I might move over, but I am not sure if I really need an automatic glide and if this hitch will work on the prep package. I bought the SuperGlide when I was towing a Carrriage Cameo LXI, but then sold it and got our 2006 Bighorn 3655 RD that probably does not need the SuperGlide or possibly even a manual glide hitch. What do you think?

alex00

If you buy the Reese 30154 adapter (the "picture frame") you can mount most standard fifth wheel hitches to the adapter. B&W just released their adapter-less version that mounts directly to the holes. The unit number for the B&W is RVK3600. I'm not sure if you'll need a slider with the mega cab, but if your pullrite uses standard rails, it should work with the Reese adapter.

aRAYwego

I have the pullrite that I use with the mopar "picture frame" adapter. Im sure the Reese adapter will accept the pullrite as well.

azbigfoot

I think the Mopar and Reese adapters are the same (Reese building for the Ram brand).

I have the the ISR Pullrite SuperGlide on the Mopar picture frame. I bought the short leg kit which lowers the hitch height because I had read a few posts about the front end of the fifth wheel being too high. It also helps keep the hitch from hitting the tonneau cover.

DesertThumper

Molar and Reese are both coming from the same builder "Reese ". On mine, we have a Husky 26K my RV Dealer recommended and ordered for me. Easy to hitch and unhitch with no binding. No issues so far.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks for the comments. What is the "picture frame" adapter?

Never mind - I went to the Reese homepage and did a search and found it and the installation instructions.

Hello, CBDNidland, I bought the truck new with the factory tow package and bought the Mopar picture frame adapter directly through Dodge as there were no other options at that time. The adapter worked well, as I would load it into the truck, lock it down and then loan in my hitch in two steps, as it was a heavy reese slider hitch. The total weight of the adaptor and the hitch was around 250 to 300 Lbs and was becoming a pain to load in and unload after each trip. Recently I changed the direction and upgraded the pin box on the 5th wheel to a Reese Goosebox (approved by Lippert, which is a big win). I found a ad on line for goose box for $808.00, saving me around 200, and was matched by one of the big truck accessory distributers with free shipping. Now all I do is back up to the trailer drop in the 4LB, REESE goose ball in connect up and go. I also have my bed back which allowed me to put a fuel cell back there as this was not an option with the pitcher frame adapter due to the foot print of the frame in the back of the short bed.

went from this

to this

And this

Attachments

• ram13hd7.jpg
    ram13hd7.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Bohemian

It will accomodate almost any 5th wheel hitch with a picture frame adaptor.

B&W makes two direct fit hitches and Curt makes one firect fit hitch. Each with direct puck attachment.

B&W RVK3600

Last edited:

sengli

I almost did the picture window routine with my curt, but decided the newly added RAM adaptor was a cleaner set up.

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 104

'Lil Guy'

I almost did the picture window routine with my curt, but decided the newly added RAM adaptor was a cleaner set up.

I agree 100%. Doesn't get any cleaner than that. I thought I was looking in my truck bed. With 1 pin to remove, I take the hitch off of the mount when not in use. Doesn't weigh that much and doesn't get stolen.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm a born and raised Michiganderer . . . from Jackson!

But now call Colorado my home . . . !

Lived here from 1981 through 1985 (collage dayz) . . . then moved back in 1995 until now!

Anywayz. . . I've basically been a Dodge truck owner for years . . . have had six Dodge trucks . . . three Ford trucks . . . and am now on my very first GM truck (2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4)!

So far, the Dodge's have been the very best . . . my 2015 Chevy 2500HD with 12,000 miles on it so far so good . . . and the Ford trucks (biggest pieces of junk I've ever spent money on), well . . . let's just say that I doubt I'll ever buy another one, ever!

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg

As much as I like the looks of the new Ford trucks . . . I just couldn't make myself buy one!

And believe me . . . I shopped all three brands before I bought!

It was rough signing the papers for a brand new Chevy truck . . . and not a Dodge truck!

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Why did you go to a Chevy over the new Dodge.?

I had one of the Chevy cars with all the recalls on it (2010 Cobalt) . . .

I loved the car . . . miss it sometimes . . .

When the power steering went out on it, I discovered that the power steering had a recall on it, but I never got notified about it as it had supposedly been fixed when the car had 4 miles on it (according to the dealership).

They were going to charge me for the repair, but I discussed the issue with them at length, and they only made me pay half . . .

I was not a happy camper . . . but what can you do?

Anyway, the service manager told me to go see the sales manager as Chevy was offering some strong incentives to get those cars off the road as long as I bought a brand new GM . . . nothing off of the used lot.

He showed me some 2014 Silverado 1500's . . . and I was intrigued!

Well . . . I kicked it around for a couple of weeks . . . then we had a close call coming down the mountain with the Dodge 1500 and trailer in tow.

The following week we went back to the Chevy dealer and I told the sales manager that I had decided I wanted to look at 2500's instead, and all they had were 2015's.

All of the 2014 2500HD's were gone, so I didn't get as good of a deal as I would have on a 2014 . . . but still got more in trade than I would have by just trading in my Cobalt anywhere else!

So far, I love my new Chevy!

Who knows . . . maybe next time I'll try another Ford!

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg TruckAtGig-P1010904.jpg ChevyCobaltInMountainsFront-P2150238.jpg NewTruckAtCherryCreek-IMG_20140909_183951592.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg