Rain water in basement?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the gaskets around the door frame to be sure the door is actually seating into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Posz

I had a similar problem with my 2021 Bighorn Traveler. I discovered that the water was coming in around the access door mounting screws located at the bottom of the door frame; outside of the gasket. I backed out the screws, shimmed as needed between the door frame and camper frame from the inside (about 1/4 inch), replaced the screws and caulked around them. That seemed to take care of it.
Jim

JohnDar

This is how I eliminated water running down the sides and into the door frames. I installed the gutter on both sides after having to replace the two large cargo doors and the smaller propane and hydraulic cabinet doors. They absorbed water from the bottom and swelled due to freeze/thaw cycles. The gutters directed the water away from the cabinet door openings.

Attachments

• ODS gutter.JPG
    ODS gutter.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 42

thewanderingeight

I have been trying to figure this out on our 2021 Milestone for the past year. Put gutters on both sides and it fixed one but not the other. It is usually only an issue during heavy rain.

LBR

I did the same as post #3 stated....took our all of the bottom screws, filled hole with black silicone, and covered screwhead with a light covering...no more leaks in 5 years.

This is how I eliminated water running down the sides and into the door frames. I installed the gutter on both sides after having to replace the two large cargo doors and the smaller propane and hydraulic cabinet doors. They absorbed water from the bottom and swelled due to freeze/thaw cycles. The gutters directed the water away from the cabinet door openings.
Great idea, as the gutter up top dumps right onto the doors! Where did you get the gutter?

JohnDar

Great idea, as the gutter up top dumps right onto the doors! Where did you get the gutter?
I bought it at a small RV dealer in northern Michigan, near where we kept the rig. Used butyl tape under it, screws into the wall and caulk along the top edge. Finished it with the vinyl bulb trim insert to cover the screws. Wasn't just rain, but snow melt in storage that contributed to the run down the sides. As for the "new" doors and frames, I bought them from another owner that had replaced his with the newer slam latch mechanism.

thewanderingeight

I did the same as post #3 stated....took our all of the bottom screws, filled hole with black silicone, and covered screwhead with a light covering...no more leaks in 5 years.

I went outside to try this, but all of the screws are on the inside of the lip .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Routemaster

Mine I am finding the outer frame is screwed down to meet the alloy rough framing and has a negative run, so I guess rain runs in and retains that way.
Took off the door latches a filled behind them in with caulk that replaced them also took off seals and straightened up the alloy they fit on; they could have bent through shoving stuff in there. More rain is on the way tonight.

Routemaster

This morning I removed the screws holding the bay door frame at the bottom. Then used plastic taper wedges between the rough out and underside of the frame and changed the negative run to a positive. re screwed the frame using caulk, soaked the bay door when closed, and did not see any water inside the catch plates do hold water. Let's see when we get a rainstorm.
Den.

Routemaster

We are in the rainy season now and I think may have fixed it. Now to the TV frame see the run into the bay!!

Attachments

• TV Door.JPG
    TV Door.JPG
    728.5 KB · Views: 14