Ram Recall for tie rod N49

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
After waiting for 3 weeks and finding a dealer that will "squeeze me in" if there's a cancellation from the waiting list (2 to 3 months), I get a call today that Chrysler has recalled the parts used to fix the recall. All parts on hand are being recalled and those that have had their recall "FIXED" will be recalled again. I wonder what will happen if mine breaks while traveling (we are full timers now) on our way from Laughlin, Nevada to Bend, Oregon, I guess I just won't have a truck? This stinks!!! :mad::mad::mad:

GOTTOYS

Mine is waiting to get the recall done. Since the parts were ordered I've put over 2,000 miles on, pulling the trailer and will pull it another 1600 or so on the way back. If it breaks it breaks. I'm not going to sit home in -15 degree weather looking out the window and wishing I was here in AZ because of some recall. But maybe that's just me...Don

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I agree Don, we will travel regardless.
972,000 units on recall.
And they don't seem to have a plan or remedy appropriate for the situation.
Just venting!

Rrloren

Took mine in a couple of weeks ago and all the service guy had to do was look in the wheel well to tell me mine was OK.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Took mine in a couple of weeks ago and all the service guy had to do was look in the wheel well to tell me mine was OK.

You are a lucky one! There are 2 types of connectors used... a bolt thru and a u-bolt. The ones with u-bolts fasteners are O.K. / the bolt thru units are the recalls.

wdk450

After waiting for 3 weeks and finding a dealer that will "squeeze me in" if there's a cancellation from the waiting list (2 to 3 months), I get a call today that Chrysler has recalled the parts used to fix the recall. All parts on hand are being recalled and those that have had their recall "FIXED" will be recalled again. I wonder what will happen if mine breaks while traveling (we are full timers now) on our way from Laughlin, Nevada to Bend, Oregon, I guess I just won't have a truck? This stinks!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Like I said on another thread on the same subject: Just go to Les Schwab, pay them the $300 for NAPA or whatever suspension parts brand they use, and end the worry.

Just had mine done on a cancelation from another customer. Its best to go to parts and find out if they have the recall parts on hand you never know you may get lucky! Don't rely on the service manager to find out if the part is available, a lot of times they do not check and the part is sitting there because another customer did not show up for it. We have the u-bolts on ours hopefully it is right cause we are traveling.

olcoon

That is exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear! Ours broke on us about 4 weeks ago, & we were lucky that we got it fixed the next day at a dealer in Aransas Pass, TX. Now got to worry about it breaking again!!! They did tell me that "what makes it break is a low speed hard turn", like backing a rig into a campsite which we all have to do from time to time.

happykraut

If you're in the N49 group does not necessarily mean yours will get recalled like I was told by one dealer. Took mine (N49) in and dealer said I was one of the 5% that did not need it. Also call all the dealers in your area. I called one dealer and was told it would be 6 weeks. Hung up the phone and called another dealer a few miles down the road and they took me the same day.

Last edited:

Speedy

Just be thankful that they let you keep your truck. When my Ford van was recalled for a defective rear axle I took into the dealer for an inspection and was told it was indeed defective. At that point it was deemed a safety hazard and the van was not returned to me for almost seven months. I checked with the dealer on a weekly basis and was told the same thing each week; no parts, no van.

Drove to the dealer on a Sunday to see how they were storing my van and was shocked that this dealer had over 200 vans waiting for the same part. So make sure you know what you are signing when dropping off your vehicle for recall service.

DW_Gray

You are a lucky one! There are 2 types of connectors used... a bolt thru and a u-bolt. The ones with u-bolts fasteners are O.K. / the bolt thru units are the recalls.

I thought this was incorrect based on my recent inspection. Here is an partial image of the dealer's recall inspection notice.

ram-recall.jpg

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Hey Bret:

I have been waiting on my 2011 parts for about a month. The dealer said he has never seen or heard of anyone's tie rod having an issue. But should it happen, you will lose left turning control. I was going to visit Tampa but with the weather and the back list of parts, I took a pass. I didn't know the recall parts were also bad....thanks for the heads up. I will contact my dealer on Monday and see what his take is. For now he seems like it is no big deal and to just drive the truck.
Garry

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I was able to get into the dealer today for the inspection. The service mgr. popped his head under the front bumper jumped up and said it was bolt through and I was good. He took a picture of my vin # and said have a great day. I asked him how far he was booked out for the recall. As of today @ 8:30 am. They are out till May 16.

caissiel

Who in his right mind would install those u-bolts on steering linkage.
It's a good example of modern engineering.
If we would have engineered stuff like that the world would be falling apart.
Come on we need to speak up on stuff like that.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I thought this was incorrect based on my recent inspection. Here is an partial image of the dealer's recall inspection notice.

View attachment 28711
Dave you are correct! I think the dealer explained it backwards to me, after getting down and looking at it... I have the u-bolt / needs to be replaced. (he told me I had the bolt thru and needed it replaced).
I have seen (yesterday) one that has already had the new part installed and it doesn't look like either of them. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.