Ramp and Patio Decks

jimandjean

So this may sound obvious, but I'm not certain, are the patio (4200 Floorplan) and ramp door party decks weather proof? I have ordered my coach with a 3 season door and didn't hope to close the doors up every time weather blows through. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
So this may sound obvious, but I'm not certain, are the patio (4200 Floorplan) and ramp door party decks weather proof? I have ordered my coach with a 3 season door and didn't hope to close the doors up every time weather blows through. Thanks all!

If no one gives you an answer call Heartland and ask for the Cyclone brand mgr. The phone number is listed on the
Portals page above.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
We use an exterior wall inside the side ramp door that is designed to stand against the elements just like the rest of the exterior walls. The sliding glass door is also an exterior door to keep your inside of the unit protected. The interior wall and doors are completely sealed, along with the outside TV's being stored behind a sealed baggage door. We do recommend putting your side patio up in heavy rain conditions or possible snow conditions to eliminate water pooling up on the ramp door.

thanks,

AJ Jones

jimandjean

We use an exterior wall inside the side ramp door that is designed to stand against the elements just like the rest of the exterior walls. The sliding glass door is also an exterior door to keep your inside of the unit protected. The interior wall and doors are completely sealed, along with the outside TV's being stored behind a sealed baggage door. We do recommend putting your side patio up in heavy rain conditions or possible snow conditions to eliminate water pooling up on the ramp door.

thanks,

AJ Jones

AJ - Thank you for your prompt response, and I do want to clarify. The actual RAMP (floor of the party deck) and the side patio floor - are these units weather resistant, can they get wet?

It seems a bit of pain if for every storm, I'd have to collapse the guard rails and put the patios away. We visit Florida a lot, an afternoon rain shower is super common - if I'm not at the coach, and it gets wet, how much of a concern is that?

Really appreciate your willingness to respond - thank you.

ndmac

AJ - Thank you for your prompt response, and I do want to clarify. The actual RAMP (floor of the party deck) and the side patio floor - are these units weather resistant, can they get wet?

It seems a bit of pain if for every storm, I'd have to collapse the guard rails and put the patios away. We visit Florida a lot, an afternoon rain shower is super common - if I'm not at the coach, and it gets wet, how much of a concern is that?

I have the 4200 and I put mine up during heavy/strong storms. Will typically leave it out during normal rainy days.
I would make sure your patio door has been chalked properly to prevent water from soaking into it.

My first door was not and I had never left it down during any rain. (can't say for sure when it was at dealer) I received a new door and it was sealed every where on both sides.

Hope this helps.

Hogladyrider

We have a Cyclone 3611JS and we have a rear patio/ramp and we are set up for the summer in Massachusetts and we have had our ramp/patio set up for a month now with no problems. Other than having to sweep off the pollen and other debris from the trees.

We do NOT have the 3 season room, only the automatic screen door, which we placed a noodle on the bottom of to seal off the bottom of the screen to the floor of the garage, works well. We have not had any issues and originally I did not think we would utilize the patio for the cost and I was wrong, we love it, especially on the rear, we have much more privacy than we would if it was on the side.
Susan

iowaone

We have had our 4100 with the rear patio and three seasons rear door for three years. We stay in it around 150 nights per year. I think we have the rear patio door down about 85% of the time, rain or shine. Close it for cold (20s) or very strong wind thunderstorms. No problems in the three years and it has been in lots of rain. We love the garage for living space and like the back down for all of the light and views.

IronJ

My 420 is having the rear door replaced...when I got it from dealer it seemed ok but after 2 trips and using it as a patio it had very soft spots and a very noticeable bow towards the middle....after inspecting it , it was not sealed/caulked at all on the top or edges...my side patio however is?...so I'm assuming if it's sealed properly you would not have an issue....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

avvidclif

Question for those with sealed patios and AJ. Ours is sealed all around the outside. The black skid proof decking where it meets the aluminum frame is not sealed. Should it be sealed also? We haven't left it down in the rain but it could happen.

IronJ

Question for those with sealed patios and AJ. Ours is sealed all around the outside. The black skid proof decking where it meets the aluminum frame is not sealed. Should it be sealed also? We haven't left it down in the rain but it could happen.

my side patio door has a very nice bead of silicone where the door meets the black skid proofing......the one that is soggy and getting replaced on the rear had nothing.....

It was subjected to a sprinkle or two, but never heavy rain, or standing water....and developed the sever bow and soft spots after only 2 trips out, which has progressively gotten worse every trip.

my dealer said yeah, that's not right at all, and heartland approved the replacement door with no issue......regardless, I'm going to go over the new door thoroughly and seal up any gaps...my one year warranty is up next month and I doubt heartland will want to replace that huge door again for free.

honestly since it developed the sag soo soon, I cant be certain water did it.....but I also have no idea if the dealer left the door down during rain either??

I just know the side patio has caulk and is problem free...the rear did not and has issues......for what its worth

Donsky

Hi have a 2015 RW305 where I have a bubble at the center (lower part) of my rear ramp door. It appears to be delamination. it's sealed around the exterior edges of the door. I'm wondering if water is getting in through the single bolt that runs through the door hinge and door. I have had it open in a few light sprinkles but I have my rear awning open which keeps most of the rain off the door. It's still under warranty some I'm hoping they will replace the door for me.[h=3][/h]

danemayer

Hi have a 2015 RW305 where I have a bubble at the center (lower part) of my rear ramp door. It appears to be delamination. it's sealed around the exterior edges of the door. I'm wondering if water is getting in through the single bolt that runs through the door hinge and door. I have had it open in a few light sprinkles but I have my rear awning open which keeps most of the rain off the door. It's still under warranty some I'm hoping they will replace the door for me.
Hi Donsky,

Since you're under warranty, you should contact your dealer immediately. Also call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. You'll probably need pictures that clearly show the problem, and you may have to take the rig in for the dealer to examine it.

oscar

I have no visible caulking between the metal edge treatment and the black decking. Water WILL get in there and I suspect will do serious damage over time. I do NOT let the door get wet.

jam20ster

I am considering rolling on Herculiner (roll on bed liner) on the patio doors. Anyone have experience with this or any thoughts on why this would be a bad idea? We just went full time in ours and am looking for a solution to not have to worry about the delamination.

My thought process is that by doing this all possible cracks/seams would be sealed.

IronJ

I am considering rolling on Herculiner (roll on bed liner) on the patio doors. Anyone have experience with this or any thoughts on why this would be a bad idea? We just went full time in ours and am looking for a solution to not have to worry about the delamination.

My thought process is that by doing this all possible cracks/seams would be sealed.
Hmm.....I had though about epoxy....like my garage...but spray on comes in colors too....wonder if any one had tried it ?..I can't think of a reason why it would hurt unless it won't bond to the floor surface???

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk waterproof deck Salt Lake City
Has anyone made a patio deck with the ramp door like some other toyhaulers have ?