Rapid City SD to Cody WY.

Any recommendations on what would be the best route from Rapid City SD to Cody WY?. Along with recommendations on places to park for a few days. We are planning on leaving this coming Thursday.

Thanks,
David

wdk450

Many Heartlanders crossed the Wyoming Bighorn Mountain range in 2013 with the National rally in Gillette, Wyo. and the 1st Wyoming chapter rally in Cody, Wyo. a week later. I overheated my transmission, others blew out turbo hoses. Hwy 16 West from Buffalo is what we took based on bigger horror stories for Highway 14 to the North. Both passes are 2 lane roads over 10,000 feet at the summits. With unlimited time and pocketbooks you could go North into Montana, or further South in Wyoming to cross the Bighorn range at much lower altitudes. On the other hand, about 20 Heartland 5th wheels made it across the Highway 16 summit to Cody. But this was in late June, also.

VKTalley

Any recommendations on what would be the best route from Rapid City SD to Cody WY?. Along with recommendations on places to park for a few days. We are planning on leaving this coming Thursday.

Thanks,
David

Get ahold of Dave (CodyCarver on the forum). They live in Cody, WY. He would be a great one to ask about routes to Cody. We just came through part of that area via I-90.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Thanks,
David

This week I'd do I90 to Laurel MT, 310 South to Bridger,, then 120 to Cody. DO NOT miss the turn in Rockvale or you will end up in Red Lodge MT. Rockvale is a wide spot in the road with a restaurant sporting a bunch of neon (really hard to miss) Turn left there.

I'd avoid the Big Horns. We have some weather and I'd be concerned about snow and ice.

The Ponderosa is pretty hard to beat. It's right downtown, close to dinning and waking distance to the Buffalo Bill center of the west.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We just left Cody. Stayed at Ponderosa. I agree with CodyCarver, great place to stay. We had stopped at Little Big Horn so for us, it was simple, go North on I-90 to Billings, then 310 out or Laurel to 120. Leaving Cody, we reversed our direction and came back up to I-90 on our way to Glacier National Park, where we are now. Saw the snow report this morning and I would not recommend going over the Bighorn's right now.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Looks nice (Ponderosa). First RV park I've seen that didn't take plastic. I don't blame them.

We've stayed at others, cash or check only. A few even though they accept CC's, if you pay cash, you get another discount for that cash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we were in the Black Hills,SD, Ponderosa Campground recommended us to head south to Custer, then take Hwy 16 all the way to Cody WY. At the time we were pulling a Big Country with a 3500 Dodge Ram diesel, single rear wheel. We didn't have any problems over the Big Horns. This was in early May 2009.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
When we were in the Black Hills,SD, Ponderosa Campground recommended us to head south to Custer, then take Hwy 16 all the way to Cody WY. At the time we were pulling a Big Country with a 3500 Dodge Ram diesel, single rear wheel. We didn't have any problems over the Big Horns. This was in early May 2009.

That would be the preferred way if you want scenery. However, three days of cold temps with rain & snow in the high country might make that trip more thrilling than some are up for.

The weather is breaking today so it may be a beautiful trip tomorrow. It would be wise to check WYDOT for road conditions before heading out.

- - - Updated - - -

Do they have an ATM in the campground office/store?

They do.

8amps

That would be the preferred way if you want scenery. However, three days of cold temps with rain & snow in the high country might make that trip more thrilling than some are up for.

Love your commentary Dave. Monday roads were fine, even with the snow, on the Grand Loop in Yellowstone, but I imagine high country would be different story. BTW, had bacon Mac 'n Cheese at Wild West Pizza. Oh, yum!!!! Thanks to you and Amy for the recommendation. I had it once without the bacon and it just wasn't the same! With bacon was the hog-diggity!

dlw930

Dave (or any Dave) for that matter wouldn't lead you astray. But if you have the choice to order something with or without bacon, always choose "with"!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk