RCMP checking truck weight ratings

ct0218

I Found this on the GM diesel site www.dieselplace.com. Thought this might be of interest to those towing w 250/2500 series trucks in Canada.

Post from yesterday:

Taken to the weigh scales by the RCMP
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This is the first time I've heard of this happening to someone hauling a trailer.

We and some friends arrived back in BC from Washington State on the Easter Weekend hauling our fifth wheel trailers. We live in Kelowna, so stopped there, but our friends carried on, heading for Kamloops.

Near Vernon there is a weigh scale, which was closed because of the holiday, but the RCMP were there pulling over people hauling utility trailers.

My friend drove by, but a minute later a cop was chasing him with lights flashing. After he stopped, the cop told him that he noticed that the truck looked overloaded, well down in the back, with the trailer not riding level. He told my friend to turn around and meet him back at the weigh scale.

I should make a note here that he is hauling a Bighorn fifth wheel with a 2500 short box, so the truck is definitely overloaded, and it does push the back of the truck all the way down on the springs. I've been nagging him to get a 3500 like mine for over a year.

When they weighed the truck and trailer, the cop announced it was something around 900 kg (2286 lbs) over weight on the rear axle. My friend was given a violation ticket for around $120 and had to call a 1-800 number and pay another $25 for a one day permit to tow the trailer home.

The cop also pointed out that my friend did not have the correct license to tow his trailer, which is problematic in the case of an accident. (Anyone hauling over 10,000 lbs in BC on a regular Class 5 license is supposed to have an Endorsement 51 test, which is Class 3 without air brakes - the law came into effect in about 1995). The cop told him that ICBC (the insurance company) would deny a claim if they investigated an accident and found him with the wrong license and an overloaded truck. The cop said he could have ticketed my friend for all the weight related and license related violations and it would have been over $1,000 in fines. The cop said they are starting to clamp down on incorrect licenses and towing weights.

The bottom line from all this is my friend figures he will be in deep trouble if he tows his trailer again with the present truck and gets caught. He also feels that the license could be a problem so he thinks he has to fix both issues over the summer. He's looking at it from a positive perspective, that it may have saved him from an expensive denied accident claim at some future point. He asked me to post the message because computers "aren't my thing".

It's also a good excuse to buy a new truck, so he'll soon be looking for a new one ton, which, with today's exchange rate, might actually be cheaper in Canada than in the USA. Time will tell.

All of this suggests that anyone hauling heavy fivers in this part of the Continent should look at getting the correct license, and should also weigh the trailer to ensure that the weight on the rear axle does not exceed the number on the door sticker.

Has anyone else ever been pulled over like this?

Post from today:

OK, I just got off the phone with my friend and I have some updates to the original story. I apologize, I got some of the data incorrect in the original post.
The sticker on the door frame which the RCMP officer used for the permissable rear axle loading states 4446 kgs (11,292 lbs). When the rear axles were on the scale, the scale read 4850 kgs (12,319 lbs). So the rear axle was overloaded by 404 kgs (1027 lbs). Again, I apologize for getting the numbers wrong. My original notes were a bit scratchy.
After the weighing, the cop threw his hands in the air and said something like "Now what do we do?". After a bit of discussion he gave my friend the telephone number for the Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement Department (800-559-9688). My friend phoned and purchased a Single Trip Overweight Permit for $25 which gave him permission to drive ONLY Hwy 7 and Hwy 1 from Vernon to Kamloops for the purposes of returning home.

Hope this additional information helps.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->

nhunter

I guess you can buy lots of 1 day overweight permits for the price of a new truck. I'm suprised the RC's haven't done this sooner.

bigredtruck

Inconvenient for sure, but in the best interest of public safety. DH has his Class 1 with air brakes so we have never had to worry but when I took the old trailer on my own, we checked pretty thoroughly to make sure I had the right license. Now with the Cyclone, I will have to take a course and test to get the endorsement 51. And we are probably overweight as well, but have to agree that you can buy a lot of overwieght permits for the price of a 450.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Let the RCMP keep doing what they are doing because that is their job, however they may be hurting their economy because when American tourists hear about this they will quit visiting Canada. Also they need to be aware the US authorities can and may play the same game especially if the RCMP is singling out US licensed vehicles.

beardedone

Beardedone
I dont think the OP said anybody was singling US vehicles out, he was from BC. As far as the drivers license goes there is reciprocity. If you are properly licensed for your vehicle at your home base then you can drive it anywhere without challenge. As for the weight, many jurisdictions check the weights of obviously overloaded vehicles. Had he put air bags on and run level then it wouldn't have been obvious. Sounds like he was a neon sign flashing over weight and that forces the hands of the police.

geeksrus

I guess you can buy lots of 1 day overweight permits for the price of a new truck. I'm suprised the RC's haven't done this sooner.

This is not the first time I've heard about this happening in BC... 2 people I know, from Alberta, pulling boat/boat trailers with 150/1500s were fined & told to leave their trailers & return for the trailer from Alberta with a big enough truck.

Eh!

geeksrus

Let the RCMP keep doing what they are doing because that is their job, however they may be hurting their economy because when American tourists hear about this they will quit visiting Canada. Also they need to be aware the US authorities can and may play the same game especially if the RCMP is singling out US licensed vehicles.

The RCMP ARE DOING THEIR JOB by making sure that the highways are safe!

If you think that they are singling out US drivers, I suggest that you stay home! They don't. As the originator has detailed what happened to a BC resident!

The RCMP are a very competent and trustworthy police force & they don't play games with Americans, Canadians or visitors from other parts of the world.

Eh!

nhunter

This is not the first time I've heard about this happening in BC... 2 people I know, from Alberta, pulling boat/boat trailers with 150/1500s were fined & told to leave their trailers & return for the trailer from Alberta with a big enough truck.

Eh!
Alberta is one of the few provinces that will let you triple tow.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
If you think that they are singling out US drivers, I suggest that you stay home!

I do every chance I get. I do everything I can possibly do NOT to have to go into Canada.

The RCMP are a very competent and trustworthy police force & they don't play games with Americans, Canadians or visitors from other parts of the world.

Eh!

A competent and trustworthy police force they may be..but, the fact remains that they do single out Americans. I don't remember seeing anything other than US or Canadian plates in Canada. Try driving up there with a Texas or California license plate on your car. All Texans are cowboys...so, they have guns...and everyone from California uses dope. I know this from personal experience. I was told this by a Mountie as he ripped my truck apart for the second time in less than a month.

Well, I tell ya' Pilgrim....

Chuck Richard

I would love to have your buddy's "2500" truck. I own a Chevy 2500HD long box and the total truck GVW is 9200lbs or 4173kgs. If your numbers are right then his 2500 rear axle carries more weight than single wheel 3500's I have looked at which had 9800lbs GVRW. Mine has a 2118kgs/ 4670lbs front axle rating and a 2760kgs/6084lbs rear axle rating. I do also run a bit over this listing with my Bighorn 3055RL but have added air bags and bigger tires and the truck and trailer ride level and I am below my tire ratings in weight. I know brakes could be mentioned but I am still below my rated tow rate and the truck stops fine. I would like to jump to a 3500 but another payment in this economy is not wanted so I'll have to make do with what I have for awhile and stay south of the border. lol ;)

nhunter

I do every chance I get. I do everything I can possibly do NOT to have to go into Canada.

A competent and trustworthy police force they may be..but, the fact remains that they do single out Americans. I don't remember seeing anything other than US or Canadian plates in Canada. Try driving up there with a Texas or California license plate on your car. All Texans are cowboys...so, they have guns...and everyone from California uses dope. I know this from personal experience. I was told this by a Mountie as he ripped my truck apart for the second time in less than a month.

Well, I tell ya' Pilgrim....
We have cowboys up here so that's irrelevant and doesn't everyone from California use dope?;) We see lots of American plates up here and don't see them pulled over anymore than anyone else. I don't think this was a get the Americans thread, it was intended to be a warning to overweight people that the 5-0 are getting wise.

azbound

I met a fellow from Saskatoon, Sa. this winter and he mentioned that BC had laws about weight and RV endorsements. It's not a Canadian thing it is the law in BC. Buy the way California has the same laws and it is my understanding that in some areas of the State they are starting to enforce them. I know this is not a popular issue but there are just too many people out there towing with 3/4 tons that should be using 1 ton's. The problem is that as when migrate to larger RV's we need to move up to larger TV. The usual answer is I can tow with my 3/4 just fine. Now the manufacturer won't agree with you but to save a few $$, we stick with our 3/4 ton. RV salesmen will tell you that your 3/4 is just fine but he isn't there to pay the fine or tell your surviving family that you lost control due to brake failure, It amazes me how quickly we dismiss safety for the sake of $$.

I know many don't agree but these are my thought.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
There's a whole big discussion on RV.net about this, and as usual it's turned nasty. Real discrepancy in the rear axle weight ratings, etc., for this particular 2500 truck...heck our C4500 is only rated for 13,500 on the rear axle...how can a 2500 be rated for 11,292?? It think it's been confused with the GVWR for the entire truck.

Who knows what the real facts are??:confused:

nhunter

There's a whole big discussion on RV.net about this, and as usual it's turned nasty. Real discrepancy in the rear axle weight ratings, etc., for this particular 2500 truck...heck our C4500 is only rated for 13,500 on the rear axle...how can a 2500 be rated for 11,292?? It think it's been confused with the GVWR for the entire truck.

Who knows what the real facts are??:confused:
My F-350 SRW has a GVW of 11,500lbs and a GAWR (rear) of 7000lbs. I'm thinking he has his GAWR wrong.

beardedone

Beardedone
One must also consider that BC has been doing this a long time and it has been widely reported on in various RV articles and on the internet. They are not alone, as lots of jurisdictions do it. The police have lots to do but they are not going to ignore anything that may have fatal consequences. How would they feel if what they didn't do resulted in a bad MVA. On the other hand if are going down the road looking like a "V" then you are going to be stopped and deservedly so. I don't want you coming across the road at me when you lose control. Also remember that BC is nothing but mountains and twisty roads. There is not as much room for error there is on the prairie. As far as being searched at the border for weapons. Why not, even if you don't use them everyone up here knows that lots of Americans carry guns in their RV's and that attracts the criminal element who might want to steal them. Leave your guns at home.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many Americans carry guns in their RV's which is their homes and our constitution allows citizens to own guns unlike other countries. I agree that you should not visit another country carrying firearms unless you can do it legally. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals recently ruled that a vehicle is an extension of your home as far as carrying a weapon is concerned therefore carrying a weapon in your vehicle could be acceptable. The RV is considered your home if it is being used as such and since you can legally possess a weapon in your home it would be legal to possess it in your RV. Canada and Mexico are different countries with different constitutions and different laws. BTW I have seen more cowboys in Wyoming and Montana than Texas.

Forrest Fetherolf

Be carefull what you read in some posts regarding braking ability......................check the brake spec's on a 2500HD SRW, 3500 SRW, and 3500 DRW. You will find the brakes on the first two are exactly the same size and the rear brakes on the 3500 DRW are slightly smaller. Braking is dependent on the area of tire in contact with the road, the weight (load) on each tire, etc...........DRW will not stop quicker than SRW with same GWV, tire and road condition as some suggest.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/901701/index.htm

http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/tires/andfriction.html

Forrest

geeksrus

I met a fellow from Saskatoon, Sa. this winter and he mentioned that BC had laws about weight and RV endorsements. It's not a Canadian thing it is the law in BC. Buy the way California has the same laws and it is my understanding that in some areas of the State they are starting to enforce them. I know this is not a popular issue but there are just too many people out there towing with 3/4 tons that should be using 1 ton's. The problem is that as when migrate to larger RV's we need to move up to larger TV. The usual answer is I can tow with my 3/4 just fine. Now the manufacturer won't agree with you but to save a few $$, we stick with our 3/4 ton. RV salesmen will tell you that your 3/4 is just fine but he isn't there to pay the fine or tell your surviving family that you lost control due to brake failure, It amazes me how quickly we dismiss safety for the sake of $$.

I know many don't agree but these are my thought.

I sure agree with you... if someone is driving with an 'unsafe' setup this can potential impact my safety!

Eh!