Re-Leveling

crmfghtr

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone who has already set the auto-level, while setup in a rv park had to re-set it (Re-level) the rig after a week or so ? Is this normal ? does the weather affect the hydraulic fluid in the lines and cause it to sink on one side ? I have had to re-level my rig at least 1 or 2 times a month. It's not that big a deal I'm wondering if this is a pre-cursor to a potential issue.

Thanks,

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only time that I have had to re do mine is when I am on dirt and the legs start sinking after a while.
When I am on concrete it don't move.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi crmfghtr,

I don't think this is normal. Imagine leveling for storage and coming back 6 months later to find everything all tilted.

After the pump forces fluid into the jacks to extend them, the valves close, trapping the fluid. There are 2 ways for the amount of extension to change: 1) If the valve isn't seating completely, the weight of the trailer could force the fluid back through the valve, to the reservoir. 2) there could be some minor leakage out of the jack assembly.

Check to see if there's fluid leaking onto the landing jacks. That would indicate a problem seal. If no leaks, it's probably a valve that isn't seating perfectly.

You'll have to pin down which one is changing because if it's that slow, a dealer tech would never find the problem. They'll have to go by your report.

You may need to call Lippert to open an incident report and get their advice on what the dealer can do.

crmfghtr

I checked for leaks that was my first thought. I couldn't find anything leaking. It was lower on the driver's side, center and rear. I set a level on the floor and it showed lower on that side. It has been really cold (22-26) so I thought that might have something to do with it. Also, I'm on gravel not concrete or asphalt. After an inspection on the outside the pads do not appear to be sinking into the gravel.

danemayer

I'd look to see if the 2 legs that are retracting by themselves share a control valve. If you don't see 12V wiring going to a valve on each leg, they share a valve.

crmfghtr

I'd look to see if the 2 legs that are retracting by themselves share a control valve. If you don't see 12V wiring going to a valve on each leg, they share a valve.

Thanks, for the advice. I'll check it in the daylight tomorrow when I get back to the rig...

Willym

If oil is leaking back to the reservoir, then after levelling the trailer, you could mark the level in the reservoir and see if it rises when the trailer goes off level next time. Measuring the cylinder extensions, before and after, on the affected side would also confirm that they are retracting.

kkamshop

One other thing that could be happening is fluid leaking past the piston in the cylinder. That would not show up as a leak.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kkamshop has a good point. I had that happen on a slide cylinder. It showed no leak, but the cylinder would loose pressure and not stay in place.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
My guess would be ground settling.

But, easy enough to check your auto level. Sharpie the legs or put some blue masking tape around the legs and and look for movement.

And just a thought, Is it really sinking? Or is it cold enough that you are getting uneven ground heave?

crmfghtr

Hi Everyone,
Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, there are no leaks and I was wrong about the level I checked each of the legs including hose fittings and no leaks. I think it is a level calibration issue. I set a carpenter's level on the floor and the counter and it appears the rig is leaning towards the driver's side about an inch. When you look at the rig from outside it looks as though it is leaning to the driver's side. I retracted the legs and tried to do a Auto-Level again but it still produces the same results. I also reviewed the Level-up CD that comes with the unit, but i'm either stupid, or I can't seem to find how you re-calibrate the level of the unit. Can anyone chime in on this with a step by step? or should I contact Lippert for this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

porthole

Retired
Robert, you have to check your manual for the specifics, but there is a simple re-calibration method to zero the control unit, after you manually "level" the trailer.

crmfghtr

Hi,
I checked the package, I couldn't seem to locate a manual for the Level-up system. I did locate a CD titled Level-Up there are about 3 PDF documents on the CD. I don't have a printer where i'm at so I have to look at the document then run outside and try each step. except I forgot what i'm supposed to do when I get there...So I guess I will have to keep going back and forth.
Regards,

danemayer

The zero calibration procedure isn't that long. Why don't you copy it by hand to a piece of paper and take the paper with you. Couldn't take but a few minutes.

BUT, have someone else proof what you wrote down to make sure there aren't any transcription errors.

crmfghtr

Hi Dan,
I'm going to try that so i can fix this next weekend, before I move it to a new location. Right now, by the time I get back for the evening, it is dark, i'm hungry and tired. Long days for awhile...
Take Care,