Rear Factory Installed Lippert receiver

DougS

Doug S
I ordered my 2016 BH with the back flimsy receiver just for emergency use, well that time is here. I need to carry a 80 lbs. scooter (wheel chair). I was wondering if anyone else has used the factory installed receiver for handicap equipment.
I have found an aluminum carrier 28" by 48" from Harbor Freight @ 50 lbs. for a total of 130 lbs. I know the receiver has to be adapted to 2" from 1 1/4". I am also considering having two more receivers sockets welded onto the bar to balance the weight from just one connection point.
Has anyone out there in "forum land" set up their RV up to carry anything other then bikes on the factory receiver.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I wouldn't use that small receiver. 80lbs is a lot on that.
If you needed to do it once or twice you would probably get by but long term I don't think it will hold up. !!!
I would do it right asap. And have the piece of mind going down the road.
I'm sure that scooter isn't cheap and I'd hate to loose it. Or cause an accadent when it goes.

Just my opinion
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sengli

Dont do it! That 1.25" hitch isnt up to that much weight. Dont forget the bouncing affect as your going down the road.

CoveredWagon

I ordered my 2016 BH with the back flimsy receiver just for emergency use, well that time is here. I need to carry a 80 lbs. scooter (wheel chair). I was wondering if anyone else has used the factory installed receiver for handicap equipment.
I have found an aluminum carrier 28" by 48" from Harbor Freight @ 50 lbs. for a total of 130 lbs. I know the receiver has to be adapted to 2" from 1 1/4". I am also considering having two more receivers sockets welded onto the bar to balance the weight from just one connection point.
Has anyone out there in "forum land" set up their RV up to carry anything other then bikes on the factory receiver.

Just me, but if I read you correctly, if you add 2 additional receivers, I'd add 2" sockets, you should be fine, assuming the original factory mount is capable of handling the total weight +. But then what do I know.

DougS

Doug S
I was hoping to hear someone has used the factory hitch to carry an 80 lbs. scooter (wheel chair) plus a 50 lbs. platform for a total of 130 lbs. After examining the receiver again, I'll have to re-think this project. You would think Lippert would upgrade their receivers so adaptive equipment could be carried with confidence.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Not sure what they were thinking. But I know they wanted to make sure nobody would try to tow a trailer behind it.
We all know somebody would try it if it had a 2" hitch on the back.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S
I installed a two inch receiver on the front of my truck. That might be an option for you.

I don't believe that would be an option because the scooter needs to be in a waterproof bag which I believe might block the cooling for the mountains we will be traveling this summer. I am not willing to take the risk.

DougS

Doug S
Today I unbolted the Lippert factory installed receiver and brought it to a local welder who also installs hitches. I had a hard time convincing the welder that it was not home made, I had to show him the Lippert's owners booklet that I down loaded.
I was told by welder that I could buy an adjustable RV hitch by Curt Manufacturing.

My question is has anyone installed this or similar hitch.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Today I unbolted the Lippert factory installed receiver and brought it to a local welder who also installs hitches. I had a hard time convincing the welder that it was not home made, I had to show him the Lippert's owners booklet that I down loaded.
I was told by welder that I could buy an adjustable RV hitch by Curt Manufacturing.

My question is has anyone installed this or similar hitch.

Not sure of manufacturer. Don't think it's a Curt. Know it is made in Ohio. But yes adjustable, welded on, 2" receiver. Second Bighorn second hitch. Bikes ride well although I did a bit of modification to strengthen hitch. Picture tomorrow
f49a46769f07fbfe943f2d8cb5547590.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S
Seems like Curt,Reese, Draw-Tite, and etc. are all the same company. Did you install it or have it installed and was it bolted on or welded. I probably will bolt it on.

travelin2

Seems like Curt,Reese, Draw-Tite, and etc. are all the same company. Did you install it or have it installed and was it bolted on or welded. I probably will bolt it on.

Dealer installed. Mounting instructions require welding. Quoted do not bolt

00ee0ec791451e63e299152ab3df5f68.jpg
41ffd47e569f74e79699b597b65c81a1.jpg

travelin2

Doug, the extra that I mentioned above was the elimination of any movement within the "pieces". Because this is an adjustable universal hitch there is a tolerance to allow the pieces to slide within each other. I found that movement had to be eliminated. If not it is amplified due to all of the motion at the rear of the rig. I drilled and through bolted each piece/side with a grade 8 bolt and lock nut.
64bb67b236816080f1af6384a1c50912.jpg

farside291

We used the factory brackets also but added a 6 inch long by 3/16 thick L bracket over outside of the factory brackets and welded that to the C channel frame and drilled the holes out. Added a adjustable Reese Tow power Class 2 receiver hitch to carry a bike rack. But, we also carry a mobility scooter when we travel. I have thought about putting the aluminum carrier we use on the car on the back of the fifth wheel using a 1.25 to 2 inch adapter but I am worried about bounce. So, I disassemble the scooter into pieces and put it in the RV. The battery is the heaviest part of the scooter.

DougS

Doug S
I have totally ruled out the Lippert receiver, it's not strong enough for a scooter (wheel chair), so I believe I will go with an adjustable RV hitch by Curt Manufacturing. This receiver can mount on a I beam, box frame, or a C frame. This receiver comes with 4 bolts on the cross bar which should prevent side sway. I believe this receiver should fit between factory tabs which I may fill in with a spacer for extra support.
My next concern is that this receiver will be 3-4 inches lower then factory and might drag going into my driveway, just another hurdle to overcome.

farside291

I turned the brackets that came with the hitch upside down and reversed left to right and now the hitch tucks nicely up against the bottom of the trailer.

Oregon_Camper

.....My next concern is that this receiver will be 3-4 inches lower then factory and might drag going into my driveway, just another hurdle to overcome.

Fabricate the hitch so the receivers are higher...see mine shown below. The 2 inserts keep my motorcycle rock solid while traveling. The 3rd receiver (middle one) is there "just in case" I ever need to attach something with standard single receiver. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just seen this car in the parking lot today and it made me think of this thread .. This might work for you. LOL who know if it could be modified to work on the back of your RV.
I'm not sure who makes it.
Actually it would probably be better to do a strong hitch off of the frame.
43b21d0f59b8b551aecdec028b83da34.jpg

0419da9e44ce9eefac08ca3bd81a20c2.jpg

Last edited: