Recharging Battery

'Lil Guy'

How can you test to see if your RV battery is charging when plugged to your TV? Also, when you're hooked to shore power.
The reset button on the side of the 20A breaker near your battery cutoff has a little black rubber boot. Should the button inside protrude to be very noticeable of just barely noticeable? I had to use the probe on my meter to push in to get it to come out. Just replaced a 3 week old battery and would like to make sure I know what's happening here. Thanks in advance

A caveman with electricity.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi Frank,

If you have level up you can read the voltage to the system on the level up panel.

Plugged into shore power only: 13.2 - 13.6 V.
Plugged into tow vehicle only w/ engine running: 14.0 V (+ or -) from the alternator.

Tow vehicle power will show 14.0V even if the manual reset breaker is tripped, so to determine if the breaker is tripped (or Power Converter not supplying power), you need to evaluate on shore power alone.

If no level up system, you'll need to take voltage readings at the battery.

Oregon_Camper

How can you test to see if your RV battery is charging when plugged to your TV? Also, when you're hooked to shore power.

Other than using Dan's method at the Level Up controller (best way), I would also suggest using the breaker between the cutoff switch and the battery.

Just turn off the switch...plug in the trailer...test the power at the breaker. (where blue arrow is pointing)

Then turn the cutoff switch back to the "on" position. You should now see an increase is voltage....somewhere around 13.4v to 13.6v.

If you can see this increase...you know your converter is supplying power to the battery.

If you wanted to get REALLY fancy, you could wire in an LED to show you the power at that breaker. That way you can see if power is coming in. Oh great...I think I just gave myself another "to do" thing. :)

(image below is for Landmark...your layout might vary somewhat)

Capture.jpg

'Lil Guy'

So, when on shore power I should see those numbers even if the actual voltage on batt is down a bit? Again, should see the alt reading from the TV even if batt is down a bit also?
When unplugged, the level up will give real volts on batt. Do I have it right. Thanks in advance

danemayer

So, when on shore power I should see those numbers even if the actual voltage on batt is down a bit? Again, should see the alt reading from the TV even if batt is down a bit also?
When unplugged, the level up will give real volts on batt. Do I have it right. Thanks in advance

You got it Frank. One note: if you unplug from shore power or TV, you may have to wait 20 minutes to see the true battery voltage. I've been told there's a bit of a memory effect after removing a charger.