Recommended Tire Pressure

Hello. I have a 2017 Heartland Big Country 4010RD. I see the max PSI for the tires, but I can’t seem to find the recommended PSI. The data plate also just says 110 PSI which is the max. Is this what they should be at or close to?

carl.swoyer

Hello. I have a 2017 Heartland Big Country 4010RD. I see the max PSI for the tires, but I can’t seem to find the recommended PSI. The data plate also just says 110 PSI which is the max. Is this what they should be at or close to?
Insecuredecapod,
I keep mine at 110 psi.
The max load carrying rating is based on 110psi. Tire performance is better and safer at max psi.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi InsecureDecapod,

The short answer is if the sidewall says Max Cold Pressure 110 psi, that's what you should do. That's typically going to be 110 psi in the morning, not in direct sunlight, and not having towed for an hour. As the day progresses, and you tow, pressure could rise to 125 psi. But the tire designer knew that would happen.

There's a longer answer involving having each wheel individually weighed and possibly inflating the tires to a slightly lower level. But that involves monitoring that most people don't want to do.

Under inflation presents significant risk. Goodyear document warn that running at 80% of required load pressure should be considered a run flat tire that requires inspection and likely replacement. The same is likely true for any trailer tire.

RickL

Here is an industry answer (very similar to danemayer). If you don’t know your wheel position weights at your normal load, then you are somewhat safe to inflate to max PSI. I say somewhat due to the fact even at max PSI one wheel position could be overloaded.

Once you know your weights at load, then you set the inflation to a PSI that would not only safely carry the load, but also provide with the best wear. Every manufacture pretty much lists a load/inflation chart which will provide you with the information you are asking. Just remember the wheel position with the greatest weight is where the others are also set.

Also, don’t forget about your tow vehicles tire pressure.

centerline

with ST (trailer) tires, always inflate them to maximum if they are carrying any more than 1/3rd of what the tire is rated for... the ST tires are different than LT (light truck) tires in that the sidewalls are designed to stand up better when cornering, and if the tire pressure is low, the sidewalls will flex more (similar to what LT tires do)...
this sidewall flexing in an ST tire causes heat buildup, which is the enemy of tires, and the tires wont last long, NOT because they wear out quicker, but because they will either throw the tread off or blow a sidewall, DUE to the heat...

LT tires ARE made to flex, and so the pressure can be adjusted for the most comfortable ride with any given load... NOT so with ST tires.

spruce1.

I understand the maximum tire pressure recommendations but I have a question. If I check the tires in the morning and the outside temperature is at say 35 degrees how does the outside low temperature affect the recommended tire pressure setting? My tire monitoring system will often sound the alarm in the morning because the tire pressure is low but once I travel a bit the pressure goes up and the alarm no longer rings. So what is the right thing to do. Thanks for any advice - Patty

danemayer

I understand the maximum tire pressure recommendations but I have a question. If I check the tires in the morning and the outside temperature is at say 35 degrees how does the outside low temperature affect the recommended tire pressure setting? My tire monitoring system will often sound the alarm in the morning because the tire pressure is low but once I travel a bit the pressure goes up and the alarm no longer rings. So what is the right thing to do. Thanks for any advice - Patty

At 35 (F), with max cold pressure of 80 psi, there might be a 3-4 lb difference. I've started the day at -2 (F) with 110 psi tires reading 100, but getting to normal readings within a few minutes.

RickL

The “rule of thumb” is there is a 1 PSI differential for every 10 degrees. So a tire inflated to 80 PSI at 80° will then read 76 PSI at 40°.