Redwood (Thor) buys Carriage Name

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Saw this elsewhere but thought some of you might find it "news worthy." Redwood RV (Thor) recently purchased the Carriage name at auction.

donr827

Not sure why they purchased the names since they are really pushing the Redwood and Blackwood lines as replacements for Carriage products.
Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Very Interesting. The Carriage website http://www.carriageinc.com/ shows the auction information and it links to the inventory included. There's even a 2008 Domani. I've seen a few Redwood 5th wheels around but haven't been in one. Thor must have pretty deep pockets eh?

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
We passed through Henderson State Park, in Destin, Fla., yesterday and saw a Redwood fifth wheel. First one I've seen.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We toured all of the Redwoods at the Tampa show and really liked them. They have a lot going for them and should do well.

Yes they do. They have a nice unit BUT they dont have a great forum, an even greater Club and they don't have a Jim Beletti!!!! ( No, I dont ewant anything!:eek:)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Brand equity is a valuable asset. By purchasing the name, they can effectively keep someone else from buying it and riding on Carriage's reputation. Even if Thor doesn't produce Carriage branded products, they have made a smart decision to keep others from doing so.

Erika

jbeletti

Yes they do. They have a nice unit BUT they dont have a great forum, an even greater Club and they don't have a Jim Beletti!!!! ( No, I dont ewant anything!:eek:)

Thanks Larry. Check's in the mail :)

Seriously though, I've seen the Redwood product. It's decent stuff. Competition is a good thing. I think it drives us all to be better at what we do, make better products and provide better features.

Jim

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
It's going to take a while to get all that brown stuff off your nose Larry!

It just doesnt pay to be nice in public anymore. :p

I am sorry to see Carriage go away. What a great reputation they had. I never would own one their units though because I could not stand up in the front half of the bedroom, but still a good trailer.

Peteandsharon

Strange coincidence that Sharon and I just walked through a Redwood at a dealer yesterday. Absolutely not looking for a new rig but RV shows and looking at RVs allow me to fool myself that winter is over in the midwest. At any rate I walked through a 36 ft. front living room floorplan. I do have to say that this unit was one of the best floorplans I have ever seen. I absolutely loved walking up into a very open living area in the loft area. Big open area with a circular couch and a big screen TV. I am totally unfamiliar with the Redwood except that it is a relatively expensive unit. I don't know anything about it's quality but I am surprised that I haven't seen this particular floorplan before. It really makes sense to me.

jimtoo

Strange coincidence that Sharon and I just walked through a Redwood at a dealer yesterday. Absolutely not looking for a new rig but RV shows and looking at RVs allow me to fool myself that winter is over in the midwest. At any rate I walked through a 36 ft. front living room floorplan. I do have to say that this unit was one of the best floorplans I have ever seen. I absolutely loved walking up into a very open living area in the loft area. Big open area with a circular couch and a big screen TV. I am totally unfamiliar with the Redwood except that it is a relatively expensive unit. I don't know anything about it's quality but I am surprised that I haven't seen this particular floorplan before. It really makes sense to me.

Pete and Sharon,

You need to check out the Heartland Bighorn 3855FL. Very nice unit.

Jim M

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We went to a RV Show this weekend and got to see our 1st Redwood. The one there was a front living room 5th wheel and have to say was very nice. I think they will do well if they have enough floorplan choices......Kenny

Peteandsharon

I'll look at that, Jim. Sounds like the same concept. Having the wide open living area that you just step up into really adds a nice feel. Having said that, we are also very happy with our 3055. Just window shopping which we never stop doing.

jimtoo

I'll look at that, Jim. Sounds like the same concept. Having the wide open living area that you just step up into really adds a nice feel. Having said that, we are also very happy with our 3055. Just window shopping which we never stop doing.

We were at the San Antonio RV Show this past month promoting the club and forum. ExploreUSA, our local area dealer, had both a Heartland 3855FL and Redwood Frt living area on display. Both very nice units. We looked at a SOB about 6 years ago with the front living room like these units and glad we did not buy. They are very nice when you first walk into them, but every time you want a drink, toothpick, or anything,,, it's up and down the steps. I know it's only 3, but what if you have bad knees or hips, which is becoming a very common thing as we age. Also I don't think you will find one with a recliner chair.

We are very happy with our 3055RL.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not having seen a "FL" up close and personal, what is the headroom like? If it's similar to the bedroom, even a vertically challenged guy like me might feel a tad closed in.

jimtoo

Not having seen a "FL" up close and personal, what is the headroom like? If it's similar to the bedroom, even a vertically challenged guy like me might feel a tad closed in.

I am sure it's the same as what a bedroom would be if up front... 6'4" according to specs. Feels kinda close.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think the front LR in the new Bighorn is closer to 6'7" or 6'8". It might say in the on the website but I remember seeing something about it at the Tampa Show.