Reese Slide Hitch 15K in 2008 F250 SB Diesel for 2008 BH 3370RL

AussieRV

Hi Guys,

Newbie here with newbie question. ( I did look on the HUG before posting this)

We own and live in the 08 BH 3370RL (and love it) but need to haul for adventures so looking at trucks in our budget (20K) and came across this well looked after 08 F250 SB Diesel that already has the Reese Slider 5th wheel Hitch installed. It is rated to 15K and our 5th Wheel has a white sticker in the cabinet that says our GVWR is 14000 lbs.The truck GVWR is 10000 lbs. I do not know what the pin weight would be but 20% of the Wheeler would be 2800 lbs and the rear axle of the truck says 6100 lbs

Question 1) Would the Reese Slider hitch work for our arrangement? Our Wheeler does not have the cutouts on the front.

Question 2) Does this combo of truck and Wheeler seem reasonable for the towing job of the wheeler? There is a sticker titled Tire and loading information and it says that occupants and cargo can not exceed 1983 lbs. Wouldn't that automatically disqualify the 5th wheel if the pin weighed 2800 lbs?
I may be confusing myself with tongue weight vs pin weights...

Question 3) Are there any serious reservations about this F250 that previous owners can point out? I don't know what I don't know!

Please do not assume I know what I'm talking about. I need all the help I can get, Cheers and Thanks so much!

ps user name ex Aussie been in states for over 20 years! :)

danemayer

Hi AussieRV,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Question 2) Does this combo of truck and Wheeler seem reasonable for the towing job of the wheeler? There is a sticker titled Tire and loading information and it says that occupants and cargo can not exceed 1983 lbs. Wouldn't that automatically disqualify the 5th wheel if the pin weighed 2800 lbs?

Most 5th wheels when loaded for travel easily reach GVWR. That means the 2800 # pin weight is a reasonable estimate until you can weigh the rig to find out exactly what the pin weight is.

The truck sticker is in fact advising you not to exceed 1983 lbs.

While you might successfully pull the trailer, being overweight by 1,000 (not even counting people, tools, pets, hitch weight, bed liner, bed cover, etc.) could create serious handling problems in bad weather. Also, having a short bed and a long trailer and being unbalanced due to the excess weight on the rear axle is a prescription for the tail to wag the dog.

You want to find a truck with a load capacity closer to 4,000 lbs. And if there's any possibility you might in the future move to a heavier trailer, get a dually.

MTPockets

Hi Guys,

We own and live in the 08 BH 3370RL (and love it) but need to haul for adventures so looking at trucks in our budget (20K) and came across this well looked after 08 F250 SB Diesel that already has the Reese Slider 5th wheel Hitch installed. It is rated to 15K and our 5th Wheel has a white sticker in the cabinet that says our GVWR is 14000 lbs.The truck GVWR is 10000 lbs. I do not know what the pin weight would be but 20% of the Wheeler would be 2800 lbs and the rear axle of the truck says 6100 lbs

Question 1) Would the Reese Slider hitch work for our arrangement? Our Wheeler does not have the cutouts on the front.

Question 3) Are there any serious reservations about this F250 that previous owners can point out? I don't know what I don't know!

Please do not assume I know what I'm talking about. I need all the help I can get, Cheers and Thanks so much!

1983 lbs is the most important number... that means you will be grossly overloaded. I think the 2800 lb pin weight is probably a little light as well, as your trailer contents/cargo weight needs to be included. Also the contents of the truck; people, tools, hitch weight, etc.... I agree with Dan, you need at least 4,000 lbs cargo capacity for safety.

Flick

Hi Guys,

My opinion only, but if that truck was free it wouldn’t be a good deal. Stay away from the 6.4 and get something from 2011 on. Good 6.7 engines are out there where you won’t have major engine problems before you get to 100000 miles like with the 6.4’s. Yea, I know, here comes all the naysayers. And get a dually. Your safety could depend on it.

WBG

WBGavin
I agree with the others, this is not enough truck. To get a definitive answer do a search on 2008 Ford F-250 towing capacity. The relevant variables include SRW vs DRW, Crew Cab vs other styles (i.e. which one), rear axle ratio, 5th wheel vs conventional towing, 4WD vs 2WD. With all that information the chart will give you towing capacity and max pin weight. Finally, a Pull Rite slider is a much better option that the one Reese builds.

AussieRV

Hey Dan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. It is becoming clearer to me from the Tow Vechile side of things that I do need more capacity.

But I'm getting confused about the 5th Wheel and I think the answer could be to get it weighed before I even buy a truck.
I'm now pondering the UVW weight. The weight of the rig as it is finished by the manufacturer and before options. What are typical options when new? Does this mean the couch, table and chairs, TV, lazy boys and bed are not included in the UVW? If that's the case unless you buy a rig brand new, you might never know what all the options add up to and your statement about easily being over GVWR makes perfect sense.

In the mean time I'm going to keep scratching my head.

Thanks again
Ean

Hi AussieRV,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Most 5th wheels when loaded for travel easily reach GVWR. That means the 2800 # pin weight is a reasonable estimate until you can weigh the rig to find out exactly what the pin weight is.

The truck sticker is in fact advising you not to exceed 1983 lbs.

While you might successfully pull the trailer, being overweight by 1,000 (not even counting people, tools, pets, hitch weight, bed liner, bed cover, etc.) could create serious handling problems in bad weather. Also, having a short bed and a long trailer and being unbalanced due to the excess weight on the rear axle is a prescription for the tail to wag the dog.

You want to find a truck with a load capacity closer to 4,000 lbs. And if there's any possibility you might in the future move to a heavier trailer, get a dually.

- - - Updated - - -

1983 lbs is the most important number... that means you will be grossly overloaded. I think the 2800 lb pin weight is probably a little light as well, as your trailer contents/cargo weight needs to be included. Also the contents of the truck; people, tools, hitch weight, etc.... I agree with Dan, you need at least 4,000 lbs cargo capacity for safety.

Hey Terry,

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to my question. I'm going to keep looking to get that payload capacity up and need to get the 5th wheel weighed also!

Cheers Ean

AussieRV

My opinion only, but if that truck was free it wouldn’t be a good deal. Stay away from the 6.4 and get something from 2011 on. Good 6.7 engines are out there where you won’t have major engine problems before you get to 100000 miles like with the 6.4’s. Yea, I know, here comes all the naysayers. And get a dually. Your safety could depend on it.

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the heads up re the engine. Does that go for both 250 and 350? I like the idea of a dually, hate the idea of not going through a car wash! LOL

Cheers Ean

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the others, this is not enough truck. To get a definitive answer do a search on 2008 Ford F-250 towing capacity. The relevant variables include SRW vs DRW, Crew Cab vs other styles (i.e. which one), rear axle ratio, 5th wheel vs conventional towing, 4WD vs 2WD. With all that information the chart will give you towing capacity and max pin weight. Finally, a Pull Rite slider is a much better option that the one Reese builds.

Bill, Thanks for weighing in! (pun intended) but do appreciate you writing in. I notice you have the 2010 350 SB with 6.4 and SRW if I remember correctly. Is the SB ok for you? Any major troubles with the 6.4? How many miles has it got on it now? The 08 250 only had a 5 speed box and I don't know what the axle was. What do you have and are you happy?

cheers Ean

Flick

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the heads up re the engine. Does that go for both 250 and 350? I like the idea of a dually, hate the idea of not going through a car wash! LOL

cheers Ean

250 or 350. Same engine used in the diesel.

centerline

is the sb truck you are looking at an extra cab or crewcab?... either way, it would fall under the long bed towing capacities, but NOT if it is a SB, single cab...

as for towing capacities on any given passenger vehicle, the weight ratings are based on the tires the vehicle was manufactured with, the gearing of the differentials and the frame length.....
the truck in question could be safe to tow/carry that particular load on its frame, but not if the tires and wheels arent up to it, or if the gearing is wrong, the truck may labor too hard while towing it....

the bumper pull rating is different than the 5th wheel tow rating, which the 5th wheel tow rating will be considerably higher, IF the gearing can handle it for an extended length of time...

a longer frame length will also be a more stabile towing platform than what a short frame vehicle would be...

CDN

B and B
Hello Aussie,

Ford towing guide

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...eet/towing-guides/Ford_Linc_08RVTTowGuide.pdf

I owned a 2014 F 250 and with my Rockwood fifth wheel loaded 1900 lbs pin weight and with gear and people in truck I used up my 2400 lb CCC. I have a F 350 now and with my Landmark I am at limit now with 3380 CCC.

I see your budget, as others mentioned some bad diesel engines back then . I would look for a gas engine (V 10) in a F 350 to keep in your budget under 20 k.

Brian

NYSUPstater

Minimum of 350/3500 truck. Single rear wheel (SRW) will be okay........UNLESS you decide you wish to upgrade down the road w/a heavier RV (north of 15,000), then you're in dual rear wheel (DRW) territory. Agree w/ others, 2011 and up to get a 6.7 diesel (if that's what you want for fuel source). If no cut corners on RV, personally, no on a slider as that's what "D" is for when maneuvering. But everyone's taste is different on a slider. Had one on our '03 F250 and used it 2x in 8 years. Traded it for a non slider 4 way swivel head hitch. Truck was a short box as well. RV at the time did not have cut corners. Got a F350 short box and new hitch still non slider when we upgraded RV which does have cut corners. Never a problem either way. IMO, just try and not get yourself into such a predicament when backing and you can make Hiway turns w/o a problem with a non slider.