Refrig temp problem is a converter problem!

mlpeloquin

My refrigerator, Norcold 1210, temperature problem turned out to be a converter problem. Plugged in at home the refrigerator temperature was just fine at 38 degrees 120V setting. Changed it to 12V propane while driving. When we got to our destination, it was still 38 degrees. The next morning it was 50 degrees in the refrigerator, but the freezers were 20 degrees. The refrigerator was on 12V propane do to the park having only 30 amp service. We purchased a couple of cheep foam coolers with a bag of ice. After three days we had to go to Las Vegas with a stop in Bakersfield. When we arrived in Bakersfield for the night, the refrigerator was 36 degrees! The next morning the refrigerator was back up to 50 degrees. I did not change the refrigerator to 120V operation for the night. The only difference was 12V battery power from the truck and fifth wheel vs. the fifth wheel and converter. I measured the converter’s output. It was 17.67V! I called Camping World in Las Vegas to see if they had one in stock. They did and I stopped in on our way to our campsite. A few minuets and the converter was changed out and the voltage measured 13.65V. By the next morning the refrigerator was at 36 degrees.

I now have added a Voltage and Current meter to the output to the converter. The panel was designed using Front Panel Express.
IMG_1232.JPG

The 30A fuse has been changed to a 0.5amp. Note that I have the proper crimps and crimping tool for 6ga and 4ga wire.
IMG_1237.JPG