Refrigerator replacement

bigdob24

I’ve got the big Norcold 2010 “ I think” double door gas absorbsion that is not cooling well. I’ve got extra fans inside the fridge and in the outside containment that don’t seem to do much.
Im wondering if anyone knows someone that can do the change from gas to residential type if possible.
Going to look for a repairman that may specialize in gas absorbsion and see if they can work a miracal.
We are just getting away for a month so I don’t have a lot of tools I’d have at home.
‘Any ideas
BD

Contact JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN.

JC Refrigeration
6495 W 200 N
Shipshewana, IN 46565
260-768-4067
email: jcref@centurylinl.net
Business Hours-8:00am-3:00pm Mon-Thurs, Friday 10am - 2:00p. EST

They can convert your fridge with a 12 volt compressor system or upgrade your Gas Absorbsion fridge.
Then you have basically a residential refrigerator with a 12 volt compressor.
To convert to a 12 volt compressor system is around $1300.00, takes about 4 hrs for them to do it.
Contact them, they can do it all.

Hockster

jbeletti

Gary - thanks for sharing this info on JC Refrigeration. I wasn't aware they had DC conversions from gas absorption refers. It's a great idea for those that don't want to modify their cabinetry to accept a residential refer and it seems that it will be more road stable than a residential unit.

For my current unit, I have an Everchill DC only refer and I love it. In my next coach, whenever and whatever it will be, I hope to have a DC only refer as well.

carl.swoyer

Jim,
They also have an ac/dc version to accommodate an ice maker. As I recall they are extremely energy efficient. I almost got one but ended up fixing my 1210

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bigdob24

So Hockster, they convert the original fridge and remove all the original guts and replace it with a 12v compressor ?
Sounds very interesting , did you have this done or know anyone that has done this?
Ill be checking it out
Thanks
BD

carl.swoyer

I retrieved the codes from the digital display. One of them was" not sensing temperature" Fix, was replace circuit board.
I removed the aluminum baffle from the top vent and installed two 6 inch dc fans blowing out. Also installed a cap/defuser on the exhaust stack. It's running perfect. I also installed a peel n stick foam gasket on the freezer compartment. No more leaking air into the freezer compartment. This really made a difference in frost build up inside the freezer.

No I didn’t convert mine, but had the appointment all set for last Sept at the Indiana Rally in Shipshewana.
I cancelled my appointment for the sake of saving money.
I was having problems with my fridge, but it has since been working okay, since adding additional fans.
I really like the idea for the 12 volt compressor.
FYI, you can buy the DIY kit for around $1000.00.
I believe the price was $300.00 for them to do the conversion.
The Factory is about 3 miles from Shipshewana South RV Park.

Hockster

jbeletti

Jim,
They also have an ac/dc version to accommodate an ice maker. As I recall they are extremely energy efficient. I almost got one but ended up fixing my 1210

Good to know. If I was converting a gas absorption unit to DC, and that unit had a functioning ice maker, I'd want to retain its use.

That said, I'm hoping to never have another gas absorption refer :)

jbeletti

I retrieved the codes from the digital display. One of them was" not sensing temperature" Fix, was replace circuit board.
I removed the aluminum baffle from the top vent and installed two 6 inch dc fans blowing out. Also installed a cap/defuser on the exhaust stack. It's running perfect. I also installed a peel n stick foam gasket on the freezer compartment. No more leaking air into the freezer compartment. This really made a difference in frost build up inside the freezer.

You sure are Mr Handy, Carl :) Way to lean into your refer issues and solve them all.

bh3585

Speaking of fridges and ice makers. I have a 2018 Newport that sprung a leak in the ice maker line. I want to replace it with a braided steel line and thought I remember seeing on the forum that somebody had done that switchover. I'm pretty handy and was wondering how difficult and any tips I could get from the experts. Thanks in advance!!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've done it on my Bighorn.
Pretty easy but I suggest that you scope out the route that you current water line takes. If you can access all areas then go for it.
Mine started at the UDC, when down in the belly, out the frame and up into a slide then to the refrigerator.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

You sure are Mr Handy, Carl :) Way to lean into your refer issues and solve them all.
Thanks Jim ,
I enjoy fixing things and doing my own mods. Now I have to get my bdrm slide seals replacement done as well as my pita anderson valve. Lol

Last edited:

bigdob24

I called and spoke with Jeremy. Very knowledgeable and had all the answers.
I miss identified my model fridge , it’s a Norcold 2118 or should I say” Norwarm”
I choose the 12 v compressor type $1300 plus $400 installation
around 10 amp draw, 51% duty cycle , 3 to 4 hrs install time , they cover floors and furniture and vac up when done
Jeramy told me my 2 group 27 batteries would be plenty for travel and would run everything in a dry camp situation for 24 plus hrs.
There is a 3 yr warranty included and an extra 3 hrs for $125.
He told me you can freeze ice cream in the refrigerator if you set it low
Im scheduled for mid May. They allow you to stay over night before install and only have one 30amp plug, first come first serve.
Hope it gets me through Florida for the next month
BD

david-steph2018

You going to be in Shipshewana have you been to the RV surplus places up there? I go to Bontragers and Rainbow Variety, that a friend of mine told me about, for different items. Sometimes I can find the inside LED lights for like $5.00/ each or all the different screws for a good price.

bigdob24

You going to be in Shipshewana have you been to the RV surplus places up there? I go to Bontragers and Rainbow Variety, that a friend of mine told me about, for different items. Sometimes I can find the inside LED lights for like $5.00/ each or all the different screws for a good price.

Been to both, there are bargains to be found but most stuff is outdated.
Always nice to kill some time .
BD

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

I was able to retrieve the codes from the digital display on mine. Model 1210 4 door.
One of my codes was " not sensing temperature"
The fix per the norcold service manual was, replace the circuit board. Running perfect.
Give it a try.