Repairs

larkinstuart

Suggestions needed.
Our 3270 is at a shop for a warranty approved fix. Our sweep on door side needed to be replaced on the slide out. The parts department sent the wrong sweep. Wouldn't you think that since our last 6 numbers of our VIN is always used, Heartland knows which sweep to send. After all, they did build this coach. The shop called back Heartland parts department, spoke to one person that person sent him to another person and all that person did was send an email back to the shop with 30 different choices for him to pick. Again, doesn't Heartland know which sweep to send? Now, I'm dealing with an upset repairman who states he's spent more hours (that he's not getting paid for) on the phone with Heartland than repairing my coach.
How does everyone else deal with this??

Geodude

We had a similar experience, and I couldn't agree more - Heartland should try to do better at getting the parts right especially given they have the VIN. Otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time and money.

RoadJunkie

I have two words for you...pictures, pictures, pictures. They are worth their weight in, well...you know. Take close-ups, part numbers, anything that will help Heartland get the correct part. Your dealer hit it right on the head. They want to spend as little time as possible to ensure they get the right part the first time. My advise is to get involved directly with Heartland in parallel with your dealer.

larkinstuart

I have two words for you...pictures, pictures, pictures. They are worth their weight in, well...you know. Take close-ups, part numbers, anything that will help Heartland get the correct part. Your dealer hit it right on the head. They want to spend as little time as possible to ensure they get the right part the first time. My advise is to get involved directly with Heartland in parallel with your dealer.

The funny thing is they had pictures. I take so many pictures, they probably throw darts at them. LOL

RoadJunkie

The funny thing is they had pictures. I take so many pictures, they probably throw darts at them. LOL

When you say "they" had pictures, did you mean Heartland or the dealer? Anyway, we owners have a greater interest in getting correct parts than the dealer, so I would say get engaged with Heartland directly. Best of luck.

larkinstuart

Both Heartland and Dealer is always informed with pictures and e-mails. Just don't see any excuse for sending wrong parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

weekender01

I had the same issue on my 2017 Torque 321. The lower kitchen slide sweep seal on thebottom became torn. When the dealer contacted Heartland (with pictures) theycould not tell us the exact part and provided a list to choose from. How crazy!

With my manufacturing background there should be a bill of materials (BOM) for every trailer Heartland makes. This is a good manufacturing practice (GMP) every good company uses regardless of the widget they are building. If a part changes then engineering puts through a change order, the bill of material is updated and traceability by VIN is also updated on when the change was implemented. This way you always know exactly what parts were used and you can provide good service in the future. Auto manufacturers and many non auto companies do this so Heartland should also be able to do this as well. If they are doing this then either there system sucks on how to look up parts used or the phone techs are not trained properly. Trust me this is my background so I know how it is supposed to work.

WBG

WBGavin
I had the same issue on my 2017 Torque 321. The lower kitchen slide sweep seal on thebottom became torn. When the dealer contacted Heartland (with pictures) theycould not tell us the exact part and provided a list to choose from. How crazy!

With my manufacturing background there should be a bill of materials (BOM) for every trailer Heartland makes. This is a good manufacturing practice (GMP) every good company uses regardless of the widget they are building. If a part changes then engineering puts through a change order, the bill of material is updated and traceability by VIN is also updated on when the change was implemented. This way you always know exactly what parts were used and you can provide good service in the future. Auto manufacturers and many non auto companies do this so Heartland should also be able to do this as well. If they are doing this then either there system sucks on how to look up parts used or the phone techs are not trained properly. Trust me this is my background so I know how it is supposed to work.

I agree completely. This is basic manufacturing 101.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also come from an automotive background and totally agree. I also know that when things break prematurely more than once, failure analysis should be done to correct the problem. Maybe some supplier gets a bill or loses a contract. Did that, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Oh how I wish it could have been this simple in the Aerospace industry. All parts used, which are all on BOM's, must have lot date codes associated on the assembly parts list. If a part fakes and failure analysis determine it is the parts fault, all assemblies with that part, including other manufacturing companies, can recall and replace the failed parts. Some cannot be, so an engineering analysis must be done to determine the probability of failure, based just how much electrical stress or mechanical stress the part is under. Testing and records associated with each part lot, board, box, and top assembly, including records of every person who touched the parts and assemblies along with the inspectors, are kept. Also records of equipment calibration and date of calibration. This is just basic the overall, but it does get more complex than this. All required to get to root cause of the failure. Each step of the way, including, chemicals used in manufacturing the parts, back to the raw materials the part is made of, can be found and used to determine root cause. You wonder why areospace/Mil parts and equipment cost so much. This is a requirement put on all government contractors. Now just how much would a RV cost to insure your's would be perfect? I don't want to think about it.

kab449

My closet door was damaged. It took 4 shipments of a new replacement to finally get it correct. Told me the coding was wrong. I sent pictures and 2 times they sent a door with the cutout for the finger pull on the wrong side. The other time the door was too tall.
How much did it cost them to get this right?

gasman

Camp Socializer
Hi Liz. I was at the plant for parts this week. I was amazed at how many different styles of the same thing they have. Fortunately, I took pictures and measurements with me. They pulled the build sheet but many items were very generic. I worked with Deena in parts and she was very patient with me. I'm with Len, get a good picture of the profile of the seal and get good dimensions of thickness, width, etc.