Replacement Flooring for Basement

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle :)
My husband and I purchased new our 2011 BC 3510. In fact, I believe it was one of the VERY first off the line.

We were quite happy with it until warranty ran out... then the problems began. You can read about them on our blog. :)

From water problems, to electrical and back to water problems. To make a long story, longer... I am now looking for a something to replace the black/grey carpeting that we ripped out of the basement. With one of our MAJOR leaks, it was taking days to dry out (with fans & heat) and we just decided to take it out because this wasn't the first 'leak'. Now everything is in Rubbermaid tubs (as I had always wanted), but we are left with that chip-board flooring which now must be covered with something.

What do you recommend? I really do not want to go the carpet route again and we thought of peel-stick tiles, but it could be slippery and things may shift (but things are so packed in there, I can't imagine that happening!!) ;)

I really would like some rubberized diamond-hex flooring, but went to Home Depot and they don't have such a thing.

HELP!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check this LINK. They seem to have quite a few products similar to your request. At least it might be a good place to start. Trace

Gizzy

Maybe you could call Heartland and see if they could provide you with the same rubber flooring that they put in the Bighorns or at least let you know where to get it.

Westwind

That's what I would recommend, the rubber flooring that I have in my 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070RL is great.

GlenStMary

Another source for some affordable and very durable flooring might be Tractor Supply or perhaps a local farm supply store that caters to equestrian owners. I have purchased many rubber floor panels for my horse stalls over the years and even with 1000 lb animals standing on them and much more (which I need not elaborate upon here) the mats have stood up very well. I even put them on the floor of my cattle trailers and they haven't failed after 10 or more years. Generally the mats are about 4' x 8'. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $20 per mat for the last ones I bought. The last ones I bought about 3 years ago. They come in various surface styles, like diamond plate or grooved, to keep things from sliding, and some come with edges especially made to link them side by side and end to end. It may be worth a trip to your nearest farm supply, or at least a trip to one online for a closer look. Good luck!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Just thinking out loud here but what about having the basement surfaces coated with a spray bed liner? There are some good companies out there that can protect adjacent areas from over spray and there are even a variety of colors available.

Rickhansen

I like the rubber rolled stuff but I think it might be pretty heavy. I have it on the floor of the garage in front of my work bench.

It is, and it is not as durable as the OEM diamond-plate rubber that came from the factory.

I'm not sure the bedliner application would work for me. I used 1" x 6" pine planking for the floor, rather than OSB.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It is, and it is not as durable as the OEM diamond-plate rubber that came from the factory.

I'm not sure the bedliner application would work for me. I used 1" x 6" pine planking for the floor, rather than OSB.
Rick, what happened to your OEM flooring in the BH?

Rickhansen

I'm not entirely sure, Ray.

I, like many, had several re-occurring and difficult to find and fix water leaks earlier on. I don't think that was the primary source of the problem however. The basement floor started sagging within a few months of ownership. (It was a great way to know if we had a leak, as any water would always end up in the middle of the basement floor) The floor was still solid, but very gradually sagged worse over the next couple years. About 2 years ago I had a soft spot forming in front of the off-door side basement doorway. I knew I was going to have to something eventually, but was able to put it off until this summer.

Basically, the "joists" and perimeter framing had rotted out and the OSB was starting to disintegrate as well. I cut it all out and found moisture in several places, but with no certain source. I believe the moisture was actually getting in from the bottom of the UDC and running along the frame rails that support the basement floor. I also thing the moisture was staying trapped under the rubber clad OSB.

I re-framed the structure with 2x2's (about double the number of joists) with the screwed and glued method. I caulked and used expanding spray foam everywhere I could. Rather than trying to field cut and jigsaw piece OSB back in, and get it through the doors, I decked with 1x6 and secured with construction adhesive and plenty of screws. I considered treated lumber for a half a minute, except the weight would have been about 4 times more.

It's not a "factory" replacement, but it took me a couple days and about $170 and is passable/functional.

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle :)
My husband and I purchased new our 2011 BC 3510. In fact, I believe it was one of the VERY first off the line.

We were quite happy with it until warranty ran out... then the problems began. You can read about them on our blog. :)

From water problems, to electrical and back to water problems. To make a long story, longer... I am now looking for a something to replace the black/grey carpeting that we ripped out of the basement. With one of our MAJOR leaks, it was taking days to dry out (with fans & heat) and we just decided to take it out because this wasn't the first 'leak'. Now everything is in Rubbermaid tubs (as I had always wanted), but we are left with that chip-board flooring which now must be covered with something.

What do you recommend? I really do not want to go the carpet route again and we thought of peel-stick tiles, but it could be slippery and things may shift (but things are so packed in there, I can't imagine that happening!!) ;)
metallic epoxy flooring las vegas
I really would like some rubberized diamond-hex flooring, but went to Home Depot and they don't have such a thing.

HELP!
I am looking for flooring that would do well in basement conditions that also has a really poor heat conductor. I was initially thinking of carpet tile, though the wife is against it I also have heard people recommend against it for basements. Another option that looks nice is vinyl planking, though I am worried that it would feel cold to the touch. I did some research and found out that cement conducts heat away from an object about 7 times the rate of Styrofoam, though Vinyl only conducts heat 5 times, hopefully giving a less cold feeling compared to concrete. I see some of the laminate use a foam underlayment, is it possible to use the same/something similar for vinyl plank? I would prefer to use something cellulose free. Any other ideas or suggestions, the cold feeling on the feet is the main reason why we don't use our basement much.

david-steph2018

I am looking for flooring that would do well in basement conditions that also has a really poor heat conductor. I was initially thinking of carpet tile, though the wife is against it I also have heard people recommend against it for basements. Another option that looks nice is vinyl planking, though I am worried that it would feel cold to the touch. I did some research and found out that cement conducts heat away from an object about 7 times the rate of Styrofoam, though Vinyl only conducts heat 5 times, hopefully giving a less cold feeling compared to concrete. I see some of the laminate use a foam underlayment, is it possible to use the same/something similar for vinyl plank? I would prefer to use something cellulose free. Any other ideas or suggestions, the cold feeling on the feet is the main reason why we don't use our basement much.
Are you talking about installing in a house?