Replacement Light/Bulb for Stove Vent Hood

Jim-n-Leslie

I am planning on replacing the poor excuse for a vent hood light over the stove with an LED light. Same 12v, LOTS more output! Problem is, I have to sort out which of two ways I will go. I can cut the wires and insert a new fixture under the translucent cover (http://www.amazon.com/Bright-LED-White-Color-Cabin/dp/B0026BRGK8) of I can find a replacement for the existing bulb that requires a blade/wedge-base. My preference is the latter, since I want to minimize cutting and hacking on the trailer. Not being a low-voltage electrician, I have found a couple of sites with blade-base LED bulbs for purchase (http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=blade base), but am unfamiliar with the base configuration for the bulb. E27 looks like a small screw-in, so that can't be right. Neither does a GX4.0 base or a GX5.3. A T-10 wedge base looks close (http://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-5-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx), but the wires are bent front and back, not on the same side, and the photos for a T-10 look like the wires are on the same side. After I return home from camping I will take the bulb over to Lowe's or Home Depot and use their 'Bulb Bases for Dummies' chart, but if anyone in the interim has any ideas on the type of base or good sites to check out, I would greatly appreciate their advice. :D
Thanks!
Jim :cool:

wdk450

Jim:

My wife complained about the poor range lighting, so I got one of the 30 watt flourescent fixtures, fabricated an aluminum strap from side-to-side inside the hood at the right distance for the light mounting screws, removed the existing halogen fixture, and installed the flourescent. I also installed a smaller flourescent fixture in place of the adjacent over counter fixture. My cook is again happy!

Jim-n-Leslie

Yep, that's my goal. Gotta make the cook happy. I am unsure what the heat tolerance is for the hood, so my goal is to look for an LED first, then progress to "more intrusive" approaches if unsuccessful. Unlike many folks that are good with fluorescent lights, Leslie is visually impaired and fluorescent lights drive her eyes nuts :eek:. She is very disappointed with the industry move away from incandescents, so I am trying LED options to see if that works better for her. I am impressed with the low power, high output of the LEDs. The search continues -- Thanks!

Jim :cool:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Home Depot and Lowes have a good selection of various light bulbs. Check them out.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Jim,

I found a replacement at Home Depot in the Outdoor low voltage lights section. It's only 18 watts but gives off a lot more light than the original bulb did.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What a bunch of girlie-men. Get the cook one of these to strap on her head, smack her on the bottom and tell her to get cooking. That's what I would do, after making sure my medical insurance premium was paid up.

View attachment 8443
But I agree, that vent light is about the weakest 12V lamp I've ever seen. What I did on ours was to replace the 1141 bulb in the fixture under the cabinet next to the stove with a 9-LED one. And then reverse the mounting of the fixture 180 degrees so that more light is shed on the stove. Helped.

gasman

Camp Socializer
The bulb that came from the factory should be a #912. It is interchangeable with a #921 which is a little brighter. I replaced mine with a cool white LED. The LED is brighter but the white light will take a little getting used to. Maybe the warm white LED would have been a better choice???

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just replaced ours yesterday. I couldn't read the number cause the bulb was pretty black. I replaced it with a #921. The plastic diffuser had become brittle so I didn't replace it. I added aluminum flashing tape to the area above the bulb for a little more reflectivity. Wow, that's really a word?.