Replacing LR LG TV on our Ashland

busted2341

The 47" LG TV on the swing out mount in the Living Room finally crapped out after 30 months. TV Repair was going to cost over $250, so we decided to just replace. That's when we discovered you cannot find a 47" TV anymore and that the mount seems to be custom made for Heartland. Why manufactures customize these things doesn't make sense because of the problem I have encountered. Measuring out the "slot" I have to find a TV that will fit in a 42 1/4 wide and 24 1/2 high by 2" deep, if I want the same look that we bought. I tried to the same TV, LG, but they no longer make the 47", as a matter of fact, I discovered that no one does anymore. The closest I found was a 49" but of course the width was to much. I know I could have gone smaller, 40" but then I have a 3" gap on each side of the opening as well as another 4" gap top to bottom. I finally found a 48" Vizio with same features as LG (sale for $288) with the closest measurement I need. I take the broken LG off the mount and see, wow, looks like I just need to screw it in. HA.....not so! Beware, the customized mount will need to be customized even more to make the new TV fit. Looking at the mount you can see there is a vertical center bar that was not put in, which is of course the 8" spread I need, so I checked with heartland thinking they have the bar I can buy. Nope. I was told to drill out the rivets of another bar or customize. I don't carry the type of tools I used when we had a house so I am limited. In all this my point is not even the bar, as set now, fits any TV you will need to replace with having to move every inside vertical bar. Either you will have to customize the mount some more or you will have to customize the cabinet opening to accommodate a new TV. This has just become a PIA. I fill sorry for those that might have the 65" TV!

Attachments

• 20171121_184304.jpg
    20171121_184304.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The 47" LG TV on the swing out mount in the Living Room finally crapped out after 30 months. TV Repair was going to cost over $250, so we decided to just replace. That's when we discovered you cannot find a 47" TV anymore and that the mount seems to be custom made for Heartland. Why manufactures customize these things doesn't make sense because of the problem I have encountered. Measuring out the "slot" I have to find a TV that will fit in a 42 1/4 wide and 24 1/2 high by 2" deep, if I want the same look that we bought. I tried to the same TV, LG, but they no longer make the 47", as a matter of fact, I discovered that no one does anymore. The closest I found was a 49" but of course the width was to much. I know I could have gone smaller, 40" but then I have a 3" gap on each side of the opening as well as another 4" gap top to bottom. I finally found a 48" Vizio with same features as LG (sale for $288) with the closest measurement I need. I take the broken LG off the mount and see, wow, looks like I just need to screw it in. HA.....not so! Beware, the customized mount will need to be customized even more to make the new TV fit. Looking at the mount you can see there is a vertical center bar that was not put in, which is of course the 8" spread I need, so I checked with heartland thinking they have the bar I can buy. Nope. I was told to drill out the rivets of another bar or customize. I don't carry the type of tools I used when we had a house so I am limited. In all this my point is not even the bar, as set now, fits any TV you will need to replace with having to move every inside vertical bar. Either you will have to customize the mount some more or you will have to customize the cabinet opening to accommodate a new TV. This has just become a PIA. I fill sorry for those that might have the 65" TV!

We discovered similar in our old 2010 ElkRidge. It came with a 36", we upgraded to a 38" with a thinner frame, when it got fried we found they didn't make a 38" so we had to go to a 40" that no longer fit the hole.

Our current 2016 BC, the 55" tv went out the 2nd week. Heartland gladly sent a new tv direct to us. It was the same size and manufacturer, but the tv had been redesigned. The bracket didn't mount to the back in the same place, and the connectors on the back were now in a completely different location, requiring us to buy longer cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I just experienced the exact same problem with my 2015 Newport. The 47" LG that Heartland had installed crapped out and no one, I mean, no one makes a 47" TV any more. The closest I could find to the same dimensions was a 48" Furion. Had to buy a universal mount and wire tie it to the swing out mount that came with the Newport. Not the best of situations, but at least I can watch TV in the living room again. Now the TV will not swing completly open (only can swing the TV about 15 degress compared to 45 degress on the original) and the left side rubs up against the cubby it was built into when you do open it (which means the TV turns on when ever you try to close it up, so I have to use the remote to turn it off after closing the tv) but at least I've got tv.

busted2341

*UPDATE*

Well, Thanksgiving is over and time to get the new Vizio mounted. NO GO. The 48" Vizio is to big. I called LG and as said before no 47" available. Have to take the Vizio back, and I guess get a smaller TV. We love our Ashland and Heartland but things like this are absolutely frustrating and just plain stupid! I wonder if the bouncing around while traveling is the cause of the TV failure?

danemayer

TV measurements have traditionally been the diagonal measurement of the screen, not including the enclosure of the screen. So TV manufacturers not only change the diagonal size, but they also may change the enclosure size. And no doubt they refresh designs frequently to stay competitive.

Heartland builds a cabinet to fit the TVs they're buying. And they're probably not thrilled to have to rework the cabinets when TVs get changed.

If some master cabinet maker has thoughts on a reasonably simple and inexpensive way of making the framing adjustable to fit changing screen and TV enclosure sizes, maybe Heartland would be interested.

Maybe there could be 2 layers of wood framing. An outer layer that's fixed, and an overlapping adjustable inner layer that rides with the TV mount. The trick would probably be getting the overlapping layer to sit flush against the outer layer when the mount is latched.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen at least one Ashland that had a larger TV in place.
Rather than mounting the TV in the opening, the back perimeter of the TV was on the face of the cabinet.
I'm guessing the the mount would have to somehow be modified to extend the TV an inch or two.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

If a bar or set of bars will fix the issue, a hardware store should have bar stock, screw, nuts, drills, drill bits, and a hack saw or Dremel tool. If you are close, think Harbor Freight for tools. I carry a cheep drill and a set of drill bits in the trucks tool box. Purchased at a True Value store in the middle of nowhere to fix a problem. Used it several times on the road. I also carry rivets and the rivet tool. You got to have tools, even if inexpensive, in order to make repairs on the road. Inexpensive are great for the road since they are not used much. If they get stolen, you have not lost much.

We too had our TV go out on us. We purchased a 43" to replace the 40". Had to cut the TV mount with a Dremel tool in order for the RF cable and HDMI to connect. Ours rides up and down behind the fire place and had enough room to physically fit, but required modifications. The RCA jack connections to the surround sound was no longer available, but I was able to get a stereo optical to RCA jack adapter. The new set only had one HDMI connection and one optical.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Boy, listening to all these other folks who have had the same problem I have. And here I thought I was unique. ;) HEARTLAND -- are you listening??? Don't build cabinets for TV's to fit into, that a couple of years down the road become headaches for owners trying to replace the OEM TV. I had to either go down in size of the TV from 47" to 42", thus leaving gapping holes around the TV or do what I did and buy a slightly larger TV then jury rig the install of the replacement TV. Not an acceptible solution, but one I have to live with.:mad:

mlpeloquin

Boy, listening to all these other folks who have had the same problem I have. And here I thought I was unique. ;) HEARTLAND -- are you listening??? Don't build cabinets for TV's to fit into, that a couple of years down the road become headaches for owners trying to replace the OEM TV. I had to either go down in size of the TV from 47" to 42", thus leaving gapping holes around the TV or do what I did and buy a slightly larger TV then jury rig the install of the replacement TV. Not an acceptible solution, but one I have to live with.:mad:

Heartland builds thousands of RV's and only a few have problems this early. You don't see just how many TV's get returned for service purchased from stores. If you ever worked in a store, you would not be surprised. If parts are available, get it repaired.

busted2341

**ANOTHER UPDATE**

I followed advice of others on the site and found a wall mount that fit the screw holes of the custom mount made by Heartland. So my 48" Visio, kind of fits in front of the opening. The problem is now I either have about a 4" gap on top or the bottom of the cabinet. Trying to come up with a solution to make it look a littler better. Once again to all, thanx for the advice on a solution. I hope Heartland builds a cabinet that does not enclose the TV in the future, since we are going on 3 years old with this one and might be time for something new!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have been noticing our LG TV has been getting a distorted picture lately I think it's time for me to go TV shopping. I had done some research a while back and had found a few high end TV's to fit the hole. I'll have to look again soon. I'll post what I find.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This one will fit in the hole if you cut out a section of the hinge bracket.
49" Samsung Ultra 4K
42.9" wide
25" high
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...th-high-dynamic-range/6142400.p?skuId=6142400

My opening is just over 43" wide and the hinge takes up some of that. But if you cut out enough of it to allow the TV to extend over more I think it will fit..
Unfortunately this one id $1000. Maybe I'll ask Santa for it. :)

Here's another one on Amazon a bit cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9VCP3W?tag=price56-20&ascsubtag=271471870