Replacing tires

DenaliHD

Looking at replacing the tires on my 2012 BigHorn I currently have Towmax STR ST235/80R16 tires, I would like to know a good reliable replacement tire to go with. Any suggestions?:D

Last edited by a moderator:

SNOKING

Sailun S637. They come in ST235/85R16G and ST235/80R16G, or if you have a lot of money then the Goodyear G614. Chris

Tundra2084

As stated by snoking the Sailun 637s are a great choice. No reports of any problems with them and everyone seems to be very happy with them. If money is no object then yes the Goodyear G614s are also great. We are replacing our units oem tires with Sailun 637s before our next trip. When ordering we had to order from a truck trailer tire shop as the Sailun 637s are a heavy duty trailer tire used for commercial use as well as on RV'S. Price up here in Canada for the 4 of them is under $900 balanced and installed out the door, half the price of the Goodyears.

Gaffer

If you have 10k or so on your trailer axles ( and this is something important that you should know) you can't go wrong with Maxxis.

jnbhobe

If your putting them on the Bighorn don't bother with the Maxxis if the Sailuns are available

Lynn1130

A search here on this topic will bring up several hundred threads on favorite tires.

Since this question seems to come up about once every two weeks and generates a couple of pages, or more of responses. It might be nice if the moderators came up with a list that could be posted in the tools section with the most popular tire brands used by members.

About the only thing that we can all agree on is that TowMax is not a good choice.

DenaliHD

Tire pressure

How do I find out how much tire pressure I can run with my current rims. I currently run 80 psi in the tires I have but I plan to upgrade to a heavier tire that runs 110psi am I ok?

Jv75353

Re: Tire pressure

You need to look at the back side of your rims (the side mounted to the brake drum). The rim will have cast numbers giving the maximum pressure that they are rated for. You can crawl under the trailer with a flashlight and see the numbers typically if you get at just the right viewing position. You may have to check a second or third wheel to find a rim that's located so that you can see the numbers. If that doesn't work you can always remove one of the wheels and then the pressure rating will be easy to read. Good luck!

SNOKING

Some rims just state 3750 max load, which needs 110 inflation to get there. So stamped 110 lbs and/or 3750 you are good to go with Sailun's or GY G614's on 7K axles. Chris

rcox

i am facing the same dilemma. BC in shop right now with blowout damage using GY marathons. second one in 3 months. the sailuns may not work for my 6000# axles. only 2 1/2 inches between wheels and the sailun is right at an inch larger diameter leaving half inch clearance between tires. don't think it will work. the GY 215/75r17.5 sounds great but expensive to replace 5 tires and rims, if it would work. it is listed as a smaller diameter than stock tire but will the larger rim still bolt to my eight lug drum?

avvidclif

You're not figuring right. At 1" larger they are 1/2" on each side. You would still have 1.5" of clearance. How about the top side?

rcox

thanks avvidclif that opened up possibilities i didn't think i had. now if the good sam insurance people step up and approve the repair maybe i can start camping again.

SNOKING

i am facing the same dilemma. BC in shop right now with blowout damage using GY marathons. second one in 3 months. the sailuns may not work for my 6000# axles. only 2 1/2 inches between wheels and the sailun is right at an inch larger diameter leaving half inch clearance between tires. don't think it will work. the GY 215/75r17.5 sounds great but expensive to replace 5 tires and rims, if it would work. it is listed as a smaller diameter than stock tire but will the larger rim still bolt to my eight lug drum?

The Sailun S637 is now available in a ST235/80R16G that is the same diameter as the Marathon ST235/80R16E.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/RS2358016G

Chris

Tundra2084

We are having Sailun 637s 235/80R16 installed on Tuesday. Up here in Ontario Canada we had to go to a truck tire dealer to get them, but the do have them in the size you need. If you go to the sailun.com page and go to the commercial tire page you will find them there. You can also look for a dealer on their website.

chiefaret

A search here on this topic will bring up several hundred threads on favorite tires.

Since this question seems to come up about once every two weeks and generates a couple of pages, or more of responses. It might be nice if the moderators came up with a list that could be posted in the tools section with the most popular tire brands used by members.

About the only thing that we can all agree on is that TowMax is not a good choice.

Agree with the towmax (blowmax) tires not being a good choice. In fact I was thinking about moving up to a fiver, and looked at one at a dealership. Loved the trailer and layout, looked at the tires - blowmax and this was a 17 model. So I left thinking after telling the dealer I would not drive anything off the lot with blowmax tires.

Lynn1130

They will change them out. They may charge you for the upgrade but then with some slick negotiation you might work a good deal. Depends upon how badly they want the sale.