Replacing Tomax tires.. So confused!!

Sunset4k

We are going to replace our Tomax tires but the options are so confusing. We have a 2013 ElkRidge 34QSRL GVWR 12,500. We are considering the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure LT235/85R16 E1, and the Michelin LTX M/S 2, same size. Any advice would be most helpful!! Many of you have so much more experience with tires than we do!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Diane, actually your GVWR is 14,400 or similar. I think you are looking at the weight sticker on the door frame, which states what the unit weighed dry, out of the factory.

I don't think the tires you mention are rated for hauling the load.

You'll get lots of opinions on tires, but I'll tell you, your wheels are probably limited to 80psi tires -- and the choices are limited. Michelin XPS Ribs and Maxxis 8008 are good replacement choices, though Maxxis has a speed rating of 65.

We are on our second set of Maxxis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

I have ran both on trucks and I much prefer the Michellins. I have never used them on a trailer. The Michellins yielded the highest mileage I have ever achieved in my 30 years of driving SD pickups. We run them on all our company vehicles now because we feel the cost/mile is the lowest on the market, even though you pay more up front. I'm within a couple weeks of putting 6 new Michellins on my F350, but I will probably use the LTX A/T 2's because of my off-road use.

Sunset4k

Erika thanks so much!!!! Jerry also considered the Maxx is actually. We probably will go with them!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Discount tire can order the Maxxis. They will try to talk you out of them, but I stood my ground. Check Discount Tire's online pricing, it's cheaper than local and if you show them, they will match the price.

Just be sure they don't lift from the axles, get full metal valve stems, and DO get the road hazard warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunset4k

ERIKA, thanks again!! Jerry is still doing research between the Maxxis, Michelin Xps Rib, and a Goodyear tire. In looking at the specs on all these tires ( LT 235/85r16E) ..they all show a weight max of about 3042..... I never knew tire selection was do difficult. We have done business with Discount Tire for years. I appreciate the info on not lifting from the axel!!!

tmcran

ERIKA, thanks again!! Jerry is still doing research between the Maxxis, Michelin Xps Rib, and a Goodyear tire. In looking at the specs on all these tires ( LT 235/85r16E) ..they all show a weight max of about 3042..... I never knew tire selection was do difficult. We have done business with Discount Tire for years. I appreciate the info on not lifting from the axel!!!

IMO just go with the Maxxis.

jnbhobe

265-75-16 is the same diameter as 235-85-16 but has a 3415lb rating if you have the clearance.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm a fan of the Micheline tires. I had them on my two Bighorns that used 80 PSI tires and they were great.

Gaffer

If you get Goodyear do not get the Marathon. They are no better than Towmax.

Grey Ghost

I've been running with Michelins for sometime now and love them, no more ST tires for this happy camper! I've had Tow Max tires and Carlisle tires also and have replaced them both with Michelins after blow out after blow out. Light Truck for me and mine from now on. Next rig we buy the dealer will have to put Michelins on or it will not be pulled off the lot by me.

Miltp920

Nobody showing any love for Carlisle ST tires.
Carlisle Radial Trail RH
I believe they are equal now to the Maxxis 8008, and quite a bit cheaper as well. EVERY Discount Tire store has them in stock, so no waiting for them to be ordered, and easy to get a replacement while on the road if needed.

I went with the Carlisle radial RH. 12 ply, F rated. $651 for 4 tires out the door. Date stamped 2014. 95 psi. So far, so good, but only 700 miles traveled, all less than 65 mph.

Jim.Allison

We need to consolidate all the threads concerning these ST tires. It is ridiculous. I know when my first TowMax / Blow-Max tire blew, i started searching for solutions; this site gave me plenty of information to help with my decision. But there is a lot of inconsistent information between threads. There are really only a hand full of tires that will do what we are asking of them. You can go to the maximum, like I did or you can cut it close and still be in good shape. But there is not a Heartland 5th wheel that should be on 16 inch ST tires. The math is not there, and if it is, then you have 0 service factor. IF you are Driving across Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas in the summertime, you better drive between 6 am and 10 am then after dark. Because when the desert floor is 125 degrees, you WILL loose those ST tires. Nothing says "adventure around every corner" like driving on a set of "will pop, blowmax, ST tires"