Replacing TV in Front Room of 345RS Oakmont

crussian

Hi Folks, not really happy about the quality of the TV in the front room. We will both be retiring at the end of October this year and plan on using our 5th wheel way more than we are now. With the prices of the flat screens, I'd be crazy not to replace the existing one. My concern is the wall mount bracket. I believe the current TV is a 50". Is it safe to assume if the weight is not too much more than the current TV that I should be okay or should I bolster the wall the mount is attached to?

I also hesitate to drill or modify anything that involves the wall, I have no clue what is behind it. I do know there is power, cable and a switch. I tried to see if there was a weight limit on the bracket but it is so close to the wall my head won't fit to see.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

C

mlpeloquin

Hi Folks, not really happy about the quality of the TV in the front room. We will both be retiring at the end of October this year and plan on using our 5th wheel way more than we are now. With the prices of the flat screens, I'd be crazy not to replace the existing one. My concern is the wall mount bracket. I believe the current TV is a 50". Is it safe to assume if the weight is not too much more than the current TV that I should be okay or should I bolster the wall the mount is attached to?

I also hesitate to drill or modify anything that involves the wall, I have no clue what is behind it. I do know there is power, cable and a switch. I tried to see if there was a weight limit on the bracket but it is so close to the wall my head won't fit to see.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

C

Most new televisions are lighter than the older models. The TV mount most likely screwed into a metal plate between the studs just like the convection/microwave. I used a metal stud finder to locate the plate behind my microwave when I had to replace it. The new one required a different mounting plate. That is when I found out the factory just barely got the two screws into the plate behind the wall. You can call Heartland to ask what the TV mount is screwed into. Have your model number and vin number when you call.

crussian

Hi crussian,

What aspect of quality are you not happy about?

Well, I am used to a smart TV that is 1080. This TV is not 1080. I believe it is 720. Grainy picture. The DVD player (Jensen) has RCA jacks instead of HDMI. At least I haven't seen them. When we play a regular DVD the picture quality is not up to my expectation.

C

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
To answer your question, yes the tv's can be replaced. We have replaced both the living room (a 46" to a 55") and the bedroom (a 32" to a 43") with 1080p smart tv's. We didn't have to do anything to the mounting bracket for the living room but put up a felt covered piece of plywood to support & mount the larger tv in the bedroom.

danemayer

Well, I am used to a smart TV that is 1080. This TV is not 1080. I believe it is 720. Grainy picture. The DVD player (Jensen) has RCA jacks instead of HDMI. At least I haven't seen them. When we play a regular DVD the picture quality is not up to my expectation.

C

720p on a fairly recent build 50" TV - that would be surprising. Before you spend $ replacing it for that reason, I'd suggest you look in the manual to confirm. If you don't have a copy of the manual, I'm sure you can download one from the manufacturer.

You should also check on what the Jensen unit is capable of. It might be that you want a DVD player that outputs in 1080p, or maybe just the right cable to connect the 2 devices using 1080p.

crussian

720p on a fairly recent build 50" TV - that would be surprising. Before you spend $ replacing it for that reason, I'd suggest you look in the manual to confirm. If you don't have a copy of the manual, I'm sure you can download one from the manufacturer.

You should also check on what the Jensen unit is capable of. It might be that you want a DVD player that outputs in 1080p, or maybe just the right cable to connect the 2 devices using 1080p.

Thanks, I will double check both units (TV and Jensen) as to their capabilities.

C

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Legend TV? Ours was not much to view anything on either at first but after tightening all of the cable connections and replacing the RCA jack with a better quality the picture on our TV is just as good as I have ever seen. We dont like the lack of sound quality out of ours. The volume stays the same from about 36 on up to 60.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Legend TV? Ours was not much to view anything on either at first but after tightening all of the cable connections and replacing the RCA jack with a better quality the picture on our TV is just as good as I have ever seen. We dont like the lack of sound quality out of ours. The volume stays the same from about 36 on up to 60.

Consider adding a soundbar. We bought a Bose Solo 5. It really helps with the clarity of speech, and of course movie soundtracks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk