Residential Refrigerator Door Strap

crmfghtr

Does anyone know where I can get the refrigerator lock strap that crosses the door on the insigna refrigerator.
Ours broke after we left the dealer. Stopped at a rest stop, and the doors were wide open and everything was on the floor. The strap broke in half. Tried all the local hardware stores, including local appliance store.
I attached a picture of what it looks like.

Attachments

• 15711919356628983445990088433250.jpg
    15711919356628983445990088433250.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99

RickL

I can’t tell you where to get a replacement but what I can say is that we have never trusted that strap. We use another Velcro strap in conjunction with that one to secure the doors.

LBR

We strap our 3 handles together...never wished to have the refrigerator contents on the floor. For us, that strap looked only good enough for the Elkhart to dealership trip.

david-steph2018

We used it one time and the fridge came open and hit the edge of the cabinet leaving a nice crease in the freezer door. So for 2 years we used Velcro straps but sometimes it would open just enough to allow moisture in the fridge. Now we bought the item below and have installed it. We have not traveled yet with it in place but the first trip will be next Monday. This trip is a short drive just 2 hours to another campground.
I will report back to see if it held the fridge door closed securely or failed.

https://www.recubed.solutions/

Alright we took a short 120 mile trip to go up north to see doctors and grandkids. This device did work good. the fridge doors stayed shut and there was no signs of any moisture in the fridge. But on this trip there was no really curvy roads to deal with. Next Monday we leave Cardinal Campground at Marengo Ohio and take a 6 hour trip to Monmouth Cave National Park in southern Kentucky. So I will report back on how this device works next week.

Last edited:

crmfghtr

Oldelevatorman

We took an 18” piece of pool noodle cut in half long ways and put between the handles.
175ce523c4075e759619fe7f7e3bf0e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Search internet for “refrigerator latch” - you’ll see dozens of variations/choices/ideas......

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just keep a pack of zip ties and a bungee cord in the cabinet above the fridge. After dumping it a couple of times, I started putting 2 zip ties on the door handles and putting a bungee from the handles to the bottom of fridge to keep the freezer shut.

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
Most recent accident involved scrambled eggs on the carpet. Had a rubber coated twisty tie that came loose. Now we use a spring rod on each shelf and a bunch of ties. More is better, right? No further issues so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    529.2 KB · Views: 32

david-steph2018

Here is what we use:
We have had it now for over 2 years and it was easy to install and works great. We have the same fridge as Pam & Lyle.

mwc

I just installed the Fridge Fixer and it is great!! Finally, after years of using velcro and twisty ties and sometimes finding the doors flung open or the freezer open. It is well worth the money just for the convenience of getting in your fridge on travel days. Amazing product and glad i stumbled on this thread and discovered it. Thanks!

wdk450

Works great for us, but I still need to be careful when opening the door. Just in case some stuff on the inside has moved.
I have recently tried hanging a bath towel draped from the topmost shelf and items, down the front of the shelves to the bottom, and tucked in as needed at the bottom before hitting the road. This has helped eliminate most of the first refrigerator door opening surprises.

thewanderingeight

Child locks from Walmart or any other big chain work well. You can get the universal kind that can be adjusted for length.

We used something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-OutSmart-Multi-Use-Lock-Black/948523396

The exact kind we had both sides could be removed and the strap stored someplace when not in use. Our pantry door kept coming open and after a broken jar of pasta sauce, we didn't want to take any more chances!