Residential refrigerators

CoveredWagon

Is the Heartland factory doing anything to more secure the residential refrigerators in the Bighorn RVs? I understand some people are having issues with these unit moving around when traveling. I also read that some folks with Rv refrigerators are having issues with improper or poor ventilation and the units are not cooling properly. What is a prospective buyer to do. Bighorns are rated as luxury Rv units and I think both of these issues would be un acceptable.

danemayer

I think the issue with anchoring the residential refrigerators is pretty much old news. There have been a relatively small number of reports over the past three years, but I don't recall any recent cases.

The ventilation issues with gas absorption refrigerators is also a pretty old problem. There have been a number of Norcold cooling unit problems, although most of those were from units build a year or two ago. My view from reading the forum is that ventilation hasn't been a significant problem for a while.

Of course, any unit can have a manufacturing defect, but I don't think there's any general problem with either type of refrigerator on current builds.

osims

bsims
We've had our Bighorn for 18 months and no problems with moving or cooling, inverter works great while traveling.

jbeletti

CoveredWagon - I have to agree with Dan and Bill here. Early on, Heartland did not do as good of a job securing the residential refer as they do now. I've heard of no issues in the last couple of model years on securing of the unit.

I have never read about any ventilation issues with the residential refer. I think you can buy with peace of mind.

Piperflyer

No problem with mine moving other than the water line leaking after 6 months of use. Had to shut the water off to the frig.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our camper came off the assembly line in March 2014. When the coach got to the dealership, they didn't like the way the residential refrig was secured, or lack of secured, so they added a small wood trim piece on the bottom front of refrig. Haven't had a bit of problem since then.

CoveredWagon

Our camper came off the assembly line in March 2014. When the coach got to the dealership, they didn't like the way the residential refrig was secured, or lack of secured, so they added a small wood trim piece on the bottom front of refrig. Haven't had a bit of problem since then.
Any pictures you could share ?
Dave