RESOLVED: Valve leaking, need advice for how to fix

artz

I'm de-winterizing my camper (Heartland MPG). After attempting to turn the cold water valve back on to flow into the hot water heater, I noticed something wasn't right.

The valve was able to rotate 360 degrees...which was certainly odd. I finally managed to force it back into place, and get the hot water working again, however this caused the valve to leak.

I quickly turned off the water supply. After fiddling around with the valve, the leak got worse.

I'm looking for advice on what to do next, ideas? Pic attached.

photo (2).JPG

jnbhobe

Re: Valve leaking, need advice for how to fix

I would just go get a ball valve and replace it.

danemayer

You can probably get everything you need from Home Depot. Ball valve and Sharkbite fittings.

artz

I'll have to take another look, it seemed difficult to get in there and replace anything. Any tips for disassembling?

danemayer

I'll have to take another look, it seemed difficult to get in there and replace anything. Any tips for disassembling?

Your photo looks like PEX crimp fittings. You either need a special tool to cut off the old crimps, or you use something like a PVC pipe cutter to get a clean 90 degree cut on the existing PEX line. Then you need to put in new fittings that work with the valve you select. Sharkbite makes fittings that attach to PEX lines without special tools.

Or you can buy a PEX crimping tool and replace the defective valve with a new one compatible with PEX.

One thing to look out for is whether you'll be able to move the PEX lines close enough after making the cuts. You'll lose 1.5 to 2 inches. If there's no slack, you might have to add a short piece and some additional fittings to get the length to match.

artz

Yeah, just to give you some more context for what I'm dealing with here:

photo (5).JPG

The blue line valve at the bottom is what I'd need to replace.

Cutting pipe? I'm really bummed; I would have expected this to be an easier fix.

Did its designers never expect it to break?

jnbhobe

Well it don't look like a real easy sharkbite job but looks simple for pex except you need the tool.

artz

Is there a link online to the tool I'd need? Thanks!

danemayer

Here's a link to one that Home Depot sells. Notice lower on the page there's a link to the crimp ring removal tool.

That's a pretty tight installation, especially since you need a fair amount of space to operate the crimp tool. I think I'd buy the crimping tool and the removal tool to avoid messing with the short PEX lines.

The water heater might need to be moved out of the way (which among other things involves getting into the propane hookup). You might want to consider letting a service tech do this repair for you.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

artz, you may be able to get a little more room by draining the hot water heater and removing the finger tight connectors on the back. At that point, you may be able to move the whole assembly enough to gain some room. The pex tool and valves and crimp rings are available at any home center or Ace. The pex size is 1/2". You might check to see if the interior panel behind the water heater is removable first.

artz

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to report back with any successes, failures, and explosions. Wish me luck!

artz

I took Ray's advice and removed the finger tight connectors, which allowed me to position the pipes above the heater, much more accessible! Thanks again for all your help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I took Ray's advice and removed the finger tight connectors, which allowed me to position the pipes above the heater, much more accessible! Thanks again for all your help.

Is this a great forum, or what? Artz, glad to hear things a looking up.