Road Warrior 427 Front entry door width?

Tzman1981

I want to upgrade to the Morryde step above steps but need to know the width of the front entry door. The camper is in storage 3 hours away and I was wondering if anyone knows what the door width is. Morryde says to check the label on the door or measure the width of the inside of the door jamb and add 2 inches. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

danemayer

Hi Tzman1981,

I'm sure someone can measure theirs for you, but it would probably be good to know the model year of your RW 427. Sometimes things change from year to year.

spectra

I also am looking to upgrade to the Morryde Step Above steps. I have a 2017 Road Warrior 427. I am curious what Morryde model fits my RV. I also am curious what folks are doing about the hydraulic strut that is attached between the door and the threshold that keeps the door from flying open and hitting the side of the RV. It is obvious this strut has to be removed to allow the door to open wide enough for the Morryde steps to tilt up and inward for storage. This step is now standard equipment on the new Road Warrior models. Any input or anyone that has installed this step as an upgrade would be nice to hear from you. Thanks

david-steph2018

On our 2018 RW 427, friction hinges were factory installed with the Steps Above also came from the factory installed. We had a door catch installed that went into a rubber stop. It would not hold the door opened during strong winds.
Also look at the steps from MorRyde as an alternative to Steps Above. These are called "Flip Steps" same principal, but when you close these up, the steps flip. When the steps flip, they are smaller width, taking up less room in storage.
We were going to add these to the rear entry door, but when we had solar installed last week, we lost storage space. So, instead we installed a slider tray to help.
If I remember the cost of the Flip steps was around $600 and the storage box addition underneath was another $150.

spectra

On our 2018 RW 427, friction hinges were factory installed with the Steps Above also came from the factory installed. We had a door catch installed that went into a rubber stop. It would not hold the door opened during strong winds.
Also look at the steps from MorRyde as an alternative to Steps Above. These are called "Flip Steps" same principal, but when you close these up, the steps flip. When the steps flip, they are smaller width, taking up less room in storage.
We were going to add these to the rear entry door, but when we had solar installed last week, we lost storage space. So, instead we installed a slider tray to help.
If I remember the cost of the Flip steps was around $600 and the storage box addition underneath was another $150.
Thanks for that info. Are you saying you had the door catch installed because the friction hinges were not strong enough? The reason I ask is I was told I could purchase the friction hinges but did not want to spend the money as well as the time to install if the friction hinges did not work well. I also saw the flip tread steps on the MorRyde website but have not actually seen these installed (must be fairly new) Do you have a part # on your MorRyde step above steps? Do you a also have the Strut assist version? If not do you think that would be worth the extra money? Thanks again for your input

david-steph2018

Thanks for that info. Are you saying you had the door catch installed because the friction hinges were not strong enough? The reason I ask is I was told I could purchase the friction hinges but did not want to spend the money as well as the time to install if the friction hinges did not work well. I also saw the flip tread steps on the MorRyde website but have not actually seen these installed (must be fairly new) Do you have a part # on your MorRyde step above steps? Do you a also have the Strut assist version? If not do you think that would be worth the extra money? Thanks again for your input
Our rear door has the gas shock to hold it open. The front entry door has the friction hinges, and the catch on the side of the rig.
Just looked, no part number visible on our steps. Yes, our steps are the struts assist. You need to check, but what I understand is the strut assist steps are factory installed, non-strut assist is available for after-market installed.
I have seen the Flip-steps installed, it looks nice and takes less room when closed. We were at MorRyde 2 weeks ago, while getting solar installed, and talked to them about the Flip Steps. There is a "qualifier" to make sure the steps will fit your rig.

Since we lost some storage space during the solar install, we decided a sliding tray would benefit us better than the Flip Step install. So, we bought a new sliding tray.

spectra

I also am looking to upgrade to the Morryde Step Above steps. I have a 2017 Road Warrior 427. I am curious what Morryde model fits my RV. I also am curious what folks are doing about the hydraulic strut that is attached between the door and the threshold that keeps the door from flying open and hitting the side of the RV. It is obvious this strut has to be removed to allow the door to open wide enough for the Morryde steps to tilt up and inward for storage. This step is now standard equipment on the new Road Warrior models. Any input or anyone that has installed this step as an upgrade would be nice to hear from you. Thanks
Our rear door has the gas shock to hold it open. The front entry door has the friction hinges, and the catch on the side of the rig.
Just looked, no part number visible on our steps. Yes, our steps are the struts assist. You need to check, but what I understand is the strut assist steps are factory installed, non-strut assist is available for after-market installed.
I have seen the Flip-steps installed, it looks nice and takes less room when closed. We were at MorRyde 2 weeks ago, while getting solar installed, and talked to them about the Flip Steps. There is a "qualifier" to make sure the steps will fit your rig.

Since we lost some storage space during the solar install, we decided a sliding tray would benefit us better than the Flip Step install. So, we bought a new sliding tray.
Thank you so much for the info. I checked and MorRyde sells bith the strut assist and non strut assist version of the steps as aftermarket install. I am curious if you think the strut assist is worth the extra $$? My front and rear door have the gas shock and am going to see if the gas shock can be relocated to the top vs the bottom so it can be used after the steps are lowered vs installing friction hinges. On another note I have also been looking into the MorRyde sliding tray. Curious which one you went with and which side of the pass thru you had it installed? (I assume the entry door side)
Unfortunate Heartland located that drain pipe in the storage pass thru or one of the sliding trays they offer that slides in both directions and full width could have been used!!

david-steph2018

Thank you so much for the info. I checked and MorRyde sells bith the strut assist and non strut assist version of the steps as aftermarket install. I am curious if you think the strut assist is worth the extra $$? My front and rear door have the gas shock and am going to see if the gas shock can be relocated to the top vs the bottom so it can be used after the steps are lowered vs installing friction hinges. On another note I have also been looking into the MorRyde sliding tray. Curious which one you went with and which side of the pass thru you had it installed? (I assume the entry door side)
Unfortunate Heartland located that drain pipe in the storage pass thru or one of the sliding trays they offer that slides in both directions and full width could have been used!!
The strut assist is nice, lift the steps with a couple of fingers. I have seen a couple of people who have moved the strut up to the top of the door, but check and make sure you will have room for it to close correctly.
For the sliding tray I installed the 29x48 tray in the door entry side. Fits in just right with the drainpipe there. I did NOT need the riser kit on our install. I installed 4 screws on each side, and it has been in since the week of Sept. 11th, no issues.
There is also a smaller tray for the other side. Look at the generator or utility tray for that side.

spectra

Thanks for you input. Git my Moryde Step Above Strut Assist installed today. Also went with the Lippert Friction Hinges!!

Attachments

• 20221015_113245.jpg
    20221015_113245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221015_112927.jpg
    20221015_112927.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

david-steph2018

I will let you field test it for a few weeks and see how the hinges work. My concern was the hinge allowing the door to open far enough for the steps.