Roof leak

docmike38

Our very first trip encountering weather and we have a roof leak, appears to be leaking down the front wall and entering right over the bed through the light fixture.... to say that I'm disappointed is an understatement.,.. 2021 TR 21JM

Roller4tan

It's important to any make or model to continually check your caulking, at least yearly if not more.

docmike38

It's important to any make or model to continually check your caulking, at least yearly if not more.
I understand that.... it's not even a year old and the amount of issues I've had with it on the few trips we've taken have been mind boggling...

wdk450

I think the roof warranty is void unless you check the roof caulking every 90 days.

Caulk sealing is 1950's technology. Eternabond thick tape has an 11 year warranty, and comes in many different widths.

If you are repairing this yourself, take a look at Henrys Tropi-Cool 887 Elastometric Roof coating. Not that hard to apply, seals up the roof great, also reflects about 94% of summer IR heat, available at local home improvement stores, including special caulk for spot repairs (tree damage, etc.).
Great reviews on Amazon and other places online. Lifetime warranty on this, too

docmike38

I think the roof warranty is void unless you check the roof caulking every 90 days.

Caulk sealing is 1950's technology. Eternabond thick tape has an 11 year warranty, and comes in many different widths.

If you are repairing this yourself, take a look at Henrys Tropi-Cool 887 Elastometric Roof coating. Not that hard to apply, seals up the roof great, also reflects about 94% of summer IR heat, available at local home improvement stores, including special caulk for spot repairs (tree damage, etc.).
Great reviews on Amazon and other places online. Lifetime warranty on this, too
Thanks Bill,! great info, I am going to do this myself in the comfort of my friends auto shop....

taskswap

I second the Eternabond recommendation. I believe EVERY RV/trailer owner should have a roll of this in their toolbox for emergencies. IMO one of the most common areas for water leakage is around vents and skylights. What makes Eternabond so magic is it can be applied over uneven/non-level intersections. So if you have a 4" wide roll (my favorite) you can lay it across a skylight joint with 2" on the skylight and 2" on the roof itself. If you apply it properly it will never leak again. The stuff is literally magic.

Eternabond recommends using EternaClean then EternaPrime which more than doubles the cost of keeping this stuff on hand. Don't consider this actual advice, just sharing my experience, but I've never used that. I just cleaned the area very well, removing all dust and loose/old caulking, and wiped both surfaces with rubbing alcohol until the paper towel came away clean. YMMV.

sengli

If you own an RV, you should live in fear of a leak. Water intrusion kills RVs. Its is sad though to have to worry about such a new RV, but the reality is these things are hand built one at a time, in most cases in a day.