Roof Replacement: Full or Partial?

On a recent long trip I had a roof leak in the front of my 2013 Heartland North Trail. I had a local tech reseal the front seam where the roof membrane meets the front cap. A few days and 200 miles later it rained and it leaked again. So, the tech applied another layer of Dicor to it. The next day while driving on the highway I rotated the rear view mirror and saw the roof membrane was ballooning up all along the front seam. I concluded this ballooning caused the sealant to fail. When I returned home I talked to a local RV shop manager and described the problem. He thinks I need a new roof or at least a partial one. He says you can't just reglue the membrane, it has to be new material including the wood underneath the membrane, then glued. Next week I bring the trailer in to have it inspected. It's a TPO roof.

Have any of you had experience with a partial roof replacement, good or bad? I suppose doing the whole roof would be best but he wants $4500 for it.

danemayer

You might try injecting glue in a few spots where the rubber roof isn't holding. Then cover the injections sites with a small piece of Eternabond and caulk around the Eternabond edges. Eternabond across the front seam might be a good idea too. All that would probably cost $100-150. If it doesn't work, you can still replace the roof.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Dan, I see no reason why you could not re-glue the roof. After all, it was glued once, why not again?
My thoughts anyway. You only have the cost of glue and Dicor to lose.

Peace
Dave

I agree with Dan, I see no reason why you could not re-glue the roof. After all, it was glued once, why not again?
My thoughts anyway. You only have the cost of glue and Dicor to lose.

Peace
Dave
He didn't give me a reason but I'm thinking that maybe the new glue won't adhere to the old glue. Also, there could be moisture trapped in there. I read somewhere that if the old wood isn't replaced it must be sanded before gluing.