Route plan suggestions

RDsStudio59

We are planing a trip for this summer and have a route question. We have a 2014 Cyclone 3110 that is a shade over 38 feet and TV is a 2006 F-350 6.0L Diesel. Wondering if anyone has had any issues dragging a 5er south from Connecticut on I-95 down along the coast to I-287 to NY across the Tappen Zee Bridge and into New Jersey? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Roger and DW Michelle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
If you have a GPS, try lowclearance.com to get POI files and the ability to identify low clearance areas.

jrzygrl64

In addition to checking low clearances, you may also compare different routes for the amount of tolls you will have to pay. I haven't driven over it in years and never with my 5th Wheel. Not knowing your actual destination, it's hard to give advice on any potential alternate route. I'm originally from NJ and thats a beautiful area and completely avoids "the city" - so probably overall a good route into Jersey.

HOOKERUP

Where in NJ. Two routes you can take if going south. Garden State Pkwy or get on NJ turnpike.From the TZ very easy to get on GSP.

RDsStudio59

Will be leaving West Thompson Lake in Connecticut and will be going to Turkey Swamp State Park in New Jersey. Also wondering about pulling 5er on Parkway? Have heard it was not allowed in the north east.

HOOKERUP

Nice park. Yes you can use GSP,I use it all the way to NY thruway pulling a Landmark. How tall is you're trailer,mine is said to be 13.3 and no problems.

RDsStudio59

Thanks all
We are supposed to be 13'2". With that being said I will be doing a loaded to travel and empty height measurement on level surface this spring.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Google earth the CG. Helps determine accessibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find some relief knowing how wooded the CG is, any tight turns, angle of the site if it's a back in, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gschaaf

Roger you would have no problem coming south with you 5er but turkey swamp cg is very tight the sites are like a horse shoe pull off. If you try it make sure you have plenty of water hose I had to stretch 75ft on some of the sites. This park is actually a county park and is very nice and quiet but I would hate to see you scratch up your trailer getting in. See ya down the road!!!

RDsStudio59

Roger you would have no problem coming south with you 5er but turkey swamp cg is very tight the sites are like a horse shoe pull off. If you try it make sure you have plenty of water hose I had to stretch 75ft on some of the sites. This park is actually a county park and is very nice and quiet but I would hate to see you scratch up your trailer getting in. See ya down the road!!!
Thanks for the heads up Glen. Does look tight on Google Earth but probably can be done. I will get a spare 50' water hose to add to the Arsenal

jrzygrl64

You can take your rig on GSP - even north of exit 105 - we've done it - it is not open to commercial trucks. I didn't think Turkey Swamp had RV sites - if they do it's new. We tent camped there many years ago and I'm remembering it being tight - actually just checked Allstays and it says max length is 30'. My brother lives in Keyport, NJ and there really aren't any state or county parks that can handle big rigs nearby. There are private parks, but most are closed probably til April or even May.

RDsStudio59

You can take your rig on GSP - even north of exit 105 - we've done it - it is not open to commercial trucks. I didn't think Turkey Swamp had RV sites - if they do it's new. We tent camped there many years ago and I'm remembering it being tight - actually just checked Allstays and it says max length is 30'. My brother lives in Keyport, NJ and there really aren't any state or county parks that can handle big rigs nearby. There are private parks, but most are closed probably til April or even May.
Bill, thanks for the info. We have made reservations at Turkey Swamp State Park for an August 2017 stay confirming the 38' 5er. A park Ranger called my wife and discussed the site choice we had made and moved us to a different site that is much larger and more accommodating for our size. Didn't mention anything about 30' max size.
All that being said I guess we will find out come August.
Thanks to everyone for the very useful information.