Routes overpasses

rcwalls

I mainly RV in Texas since I am new at this so very nervous about getting on highways and being surprised by overpasses or bridges that may be too low for me to pass. I have a 2019 Cyclone 4005 13'3". Does anyone recommend a particular website that may list overpass heights on Texas highways, a route planner that may list the overpasses or ?????. I have been searching, but nothing found that is straightforward of what I am needing. Thanks in advance

uncledon

Her chauffeur
RV Parky is a pretty users friendly site with a route planner that also lists many low clearance points around the country.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

danemayer

First thing is to measure your actual height while hitched up and on level ground. Don't go by the factory spec, if that's what you're doing. Trucks vary and it's easy to get the nose of the trailer an inch or two higher than level without noticing.

A trucker atlas will help. Or you can get a GPS with routing around low clearances, like a Garmin RV770LMT. You can also add low clearance data from Point of Interest (POI) sources to many other GPS units or your phone or tablet.

pegmikef

As Dan said, the Truckers' Atlas is a good source. If the route is not in orange I personally don't even consider it unless it is the only possible route, then I do more research. Another good source is Low clearances ( http://lowclearances.com/ ) and you can export the data to several different mapping programs and GPS units. I keep mine set at 14 feet so it will show me any clearances lower than that.

Also as Dan said make sure you measure your rigs height when you are hooked up to tow on level ground. There is a 4 inch difference in the advertised height and the actual height of my Landmark.

Last edited:

Tsys100718

I mainly RV in Texas since I am new at this so very nervous about getting on highways and being surprised by overpasses or bridges that may be too low for me to pass. I have a 2019 Cyclone 4005 13'3". Does anyone recommend a particular website that may list overpass heights on Texas highways, a route planner that may list the overpasses or ?????. I have been searching, but nothing found that is straightforward of what I am needing. Thanks in advance

The only problem with most low clearance GPS/Atlas' is that there are SOME overpasses with lower clearance than when the GPS/Atlas was published.

This could be caused by a resurfacing project since the publish date or by some states that intentionally marking all their overpasses a foot low. In New York state, for example, you can fit a 13'6" rig under a MARKED 12'6" overpass. When I was a novice trucker, I sat for an hour once going through a Motor Carrier Atlas looking for a route around a 12'8" overpass when a Yellow Freight truck with a 13'6" box went under it without even slowing down. When I got to the Ticonderoga Paper mill, he told me about the mismarked clearances in New York state. And I peeled half the top off a 13'6" trailer on a 14' overpass in Chicago on a street that had been recently repaved.

Then there are other issues with these programs and atlas', some states mark the clearance at the LOWEST point. When there is an arched or angled overpass, it may be possible to avoid peeling your roof by merely shifting lanes.

Having driven a few million miles with OD(over dimension) freight, I have never run into an issue with any overpass in Texas. I even hauled a mirror once that was 16' high when on the trailer and had no issues in TX or NM.

One thing I would suggest is to make a 'story pole'. Use a couple of 8' 1x2. Bolt them together with about a 2" overlap. This overlap will allow for the drilling of a 1/4 hole and the use of a 1/4 hitch pin to lock them straight. Then add about a 2' cross piece with a couple of flat corner braces using the hole nearest the center for a similar 1/4 hitch pin. Set the cross bar at the HIGHEST point of your rig + 2 inches, whether it is the top of the A/C unit, top of a ladder or an antenna. The length will fit in the bed of your TV without taking up a bunch of room. Then whenever you are in doubt about the clearance, you have a ready aid handy to make the call without any damage.

Just my two pennies! Happy Trails!

I use the Garmin 760
It allows you to enter the dimensions of your camper. So far it has routed me around at least two underpasses with low clearance
in the last couple of years, one in Texas, the other in Missouri.

CoveredWagon

I use the Garmin 760
It allows you to enter the dimensions of your camper. So far it has routed me around at least two underpasses with low clearance
in the last couple of years, one in Texas, the other in Missouri.

Heading north on I 75 from Dayton OH Garmin tried desperately to send me off toward Columbus OH for some unknown reason. 😡

danemayer

Heading north on I 75 from Dayton OH Garmin tried desperately to send me off toward Columbus OH for some unknown reason. 😡

Inexplicable routing is pretty much due to map data errors, or configuration choices. For example, if you are configured to avoid toll roads, the Garmin will diligently attempt to avoid toll roads. If the map data shows a weight or size limit in conflict with your setup, it will give you inexplicably stupid routing. I once had this happen on I-80 because the map data showed the highway under construction. I've had it happen near Chicago to avoid tolls. I've also had it happen where the map data for an exit ramp erroneously showed a low weight limit.

donr827

If you call Garmin they will check out your information and correct their data. I also print out a paper routing before trips and compare them to the GPS.
Don