RV Antifreeze

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While shopping for RV Antifreeze, I came across some that said glycerin was one of its components. Yet another brand that did not list glycerin had a warning on the label to not use products that contained it. And there are plenty of cheap ones that list ethyl alcohol as one of the ingredients ( I don’t use those, period). Tried searching for info about glycerin in PG antifreeze but got nothing. Anybody know anything about it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Thanks, but doesn't really answer my question. So, I don't use antifreeze with alcohol in it, nor will I use stuff with glycerin in it. The question remains, what is the effect of glycerin in the mix?

RDsStudio59

From Wikipedia's page

AntifreezeEdit

Main article: Antifreeze

Like ethylene glycol and propylene glycol, glycerol is a non-ionic kosmotrope that forms strong hydrogen bonds with water molecules, competing with water-water hydrogen bonds. This interaction disrupts the formation of ice. The minimum freezing point temperature is about −36 °F (−38 °C) corresponding to 70% glycerol in water.
Glycerol was historically used as an anti-freeze for automotive applications before being replaced by ethylene glycol, which has a lower freezing point. While the minimum freezing point of a glycerol-water mixture is higher than an ethylene glycol-water mixture, glycerol is not toxic and is being re-examined for use in automotive applications.[29][30]
In the laboratory, glycerol is a common component of solvents for enzymaticreagents stored at temperatures below 0 °C due to the depression of the freezing temperature. It is also used as a cryoprotectant where the glycerol is dissolved in water to reduce damage by ice crystals to laboratory organisms that are stored in frozen solutions, such as bacteria, nematodes, and mammalian embryos.

Sent from Roger using my personal pocket pc on Tapatalk

Daley07

We used RV antifreeze from Camco in our sump well to keep the line from freezing in extreme temps. I especially like that this is in concentrate form, so it's lightweight at only 36 oz/jug. I just pour it straight into the sump well and it dilutes itself. It's non-toxic, even in large quantities, and so is entirely safe indoors and out. In addition, it can protect the piping system even if the temperature drops to -50 degrees Fahrenheit.

NYSUPstater

Sadly, I never paid any attention to ingredients in RV anti-freeze. Used whatever Wally World had and want to say it was Super-Tech (?????????) and ran under 3 bucks/gallon. Was in WM the other day and they had a good amount of RV anti-freeze BUT it wasn't the same brand. Didn't buy any cuz didn't need it, but wonder why it wasn't the same stuff as before.

tomhank

With its GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) certification from the USDA, the RecPro RV Antifreeze Winter-Pruf genuinely makes an impression on users. When compared to very harmful antifreeze chemicals, it appears to be exponentially different. To put it another way, RecPro's RV antifreeze is completely safe and non-toxic.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Propylene glycol is used in food, some medications and cosmetic production. If I recall correctly, it's used in the prep you drink for a colonoscopy, so you know what that does. Adding ethanol to it renders it not suitable for consumption and there is some evidence that the ethanol may harm plumbing fittings. You can find RV Antifreeze with and without ethanol in the mix. I always used the non-ethanol type. Ethylene glycol is automotive antifreeze and will most likely make you sick if not kill you if you consume it. And no antifreeze raises the freezing point of water. Kinda goes the other way.