RV is coming unglued!

icechex

RV   .JPGx'cuse the humor(about coming unglued) but when you own a RV you have to have a sense of humor.

Anyway, my problem is that my 5th wheel is coming apart literally at the seams.

See attached picture.

What I need help on is 'how do I repair this?" I have no idea.

I've thought of metal strips w/rivets, but am not sure it would hold.

Any ideas, suggestions or whatever will be much appreciated.

My 5th wheel is a 2012 Heartland Big Country

Note: the reason for all the crud is I first noticed this on a out of town trip and during stormy weather. My only option (till I got back home) was to try and silicone it. I knew the silicone wouldn't last but I was hoping it would (last) until I got back home, which it did, just barely.

david-steph2018

View attachment 65476x'cuse the humor(about coming unglued) but when you own a RV you have to have a sense of humor.

Anyway, my problem is that my 5th wheel is coming apart literally at the seams.

See attached picture.

What I need help on is 'how do I repair this?" I have no idea.

I've thought of metal strips w/rivets, but am not sure it would hold.

Any ideas, suggestions or whatever will be much appreciated.

My 5th wheel is a 2012 Heartland Big Country

Note: the reason for all the crud is I first noticed this on a out of town trip and during stormy weather. My only option (till I got back home) was to try and silicone it. I knew the silicone wouldn't last but I was hoping it would (last) until I got back home, which it did, just barely.

Sorry to see this issue, but it looks like damage from water intrusion, aka delamination. Me, I would find a place to repair it, probably need to remove the back wall to repair. Plus it is unknown to what level of damage you will find.

danemayer

I agree. The apparent delamination on the rear cover along with the problem at the corner, suggests when opened, you'll find significant water damage. The wood in the corner will have to be replaced.

I think I remember someone doing this type of repair from the inside, rather than removing the rear wall. Not sure who or how it went.

RoadJunkie

You simply can't turn your back on RV maintenance. The swelling is being caused by water damage over, what looks like, a long period of time. You could probably patch the joint with fiberglass, but proper repair--unless you're super handy--is going to need professional involvement. Best of luck.

icechex

You simply can't turn your back on RV maintenance. The swelling is being caused by water damage over, what looks like, a long period of time. You could probably patch the joint with fiberglass, but proper repair--unless you're super handy--is going to need professional involvement. Best of luck.

Er, we missed this completely. After coming off the road (24-7) and buying a new sticks/brick home (4 years ago) I kept it covered but evidently it had had a leak of some sort for quite some time without me being aware of it. Thinking seriously about either a 'patch' or just selling it for 'junk,' since I owe nothing on it and have ZERO desire to put 'much money' into repairing it.

Thanks for your comment.

The fiberglass thing (if not very expensive) might be an option but since we have found a great enjoyment out of living in our new home, and after spending 6 years traveling the 'bottom 48' the old 'been there done that' thing has kept us from wanting to travel in the 'hallway' anymore.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Once that Filon panel warps from water intrusion, there isn’t any repairing it, just replacing it.
Some years back, we had water damage to our overhang panel around the pin box from a leaking washing machine. Best I could so was attach it to the metal framing with stainless steel self-tapping bolts and fender washers to take some of the sag out. Years later, the deformation never self-corrected.
Although it’s damaged, now would be the time to sell, as is, if you’re ready. The used market dies when a rig is more than 15 years old, even if it’s in pristine condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icechex

Once that Filon panel warps from water intrusion, there isn’t any repairing it, just replacing it.
Some years back, we had water damage to our overhang panel around the pin box from a leaking washing machine. Best I could so was attach it to the metal framing with stainless steel self-tapping bolts and fender washers to take some of the sag out. Years later, the deformation never self-corrected.
Although it’s damaged, now would be the time to sell, as is, if you’re ready. The used market dies when a rig is more than 15 years old, even if it’s in pristine condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah selling it (for scrap) seems to be the best option, especially since we really do not want to travel much at all, except to go to Europe when this virus thing is over. Actually, I doubt if there is much metal framing (in this situation) to attach to.

I'm thinking of cutting off the roof and making a planter out of it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
yeah selling it (for scrap) seems to be the best option, especially since we really do not want to travel much at all, except to go to Europe when this virus thing is over. Actually, I doubt if there is much metal framing (in this situation) to attach to.

I'm thinking of cutting off the roof and making a planter out of it.

We were able to sell our 11 year old rig back to General RV last year (long story why), but we got out from under it. Actually, it was in pretty good shape, everything worked and they were hot to get it. My sister had an older 5th wheel that she sold a few years back to some hunter for his hunting property. You might be able to go that route rather than just scrapping it (which might cost you anyways). Good luck whichever way you go with it.

LBR

You may wish to entertain the thought of advertising it outright and target your ads towards the dry states/areas.

The damage is done and someone would probably purchase it, park it, and could care less about post damage and just make sure it is sealed up OK for their usage in a non-rainy area. A few days travelling to and from OK from SoCal/Az/NM for the right price could become a possibly, "should you choose to complete your mission"....

icechex

We were able to sell our 11 year old rig back to General RV last year (long story why), but we got out from under it. Actually, it was in pretty good shape, everything worked and they were hot to get it. My sister had an older 5th wheel that she sold a few years back to some hunter for his hunting property. You might be able to go that route rather than just scrapping it (which might cost you anyways). Good luck whichever way you go with it.

Thanks for the info. A good idea to sell to a hunter. Hadn't thought of that. Basically have just decided to 'unload' it. We loved it for the 6 years we lived in it and traveled the USA but as for how it was made ..... .not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

You may wish to entertain the thought of advertising it outright and target your ads towards the dry states/areas.

The damage is done and someone would probably purchase it, park it, and could care less about post damage and just make sure it is sealed up OK for their usage in a non-rainy area. A few days travelling to and from OK from SoCal/Az/NM for the right price could become a possibly, "should you choose to complete your mission"....

Thanks for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

Advertise it in the Athens, TX area. Don't ask why.

Ha Ha - I don't have to ask why; my wife is from east Texas.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply.