RW-414 Garage AC tripping breaker

So I have a 2020 Heartland RW 414 with the optional 3rd ac for the garage and have a problem tripping the breaker when the garage ac is running with any other ac middle or front/master. When boon docking and running on the generator I can run both the middle and front/master AC and not trip the breaker on generator. When running the rear AC on it's own will not trip the breaker either and does work fine. I have tried multiple combinations running the garage AC with middle unit or garage with master unit and either of those combinations trips the breaker. Please note I am not trying to running all three ac at once, nor am I running the fridge, microwave, or water heater. I have taken this to my dealer and to be honest with you I don't think my dealer knows **** and if they are correct this should be addressed from the factory to resolve it. Dealer told me you can't run two A/C's at once which is total BS, like I said I can running both middle and front ac with no issues. I don't think I need to say this, but I'm sure I will be asked it is an ONAN 5500 generator. To note as well it is not tripping the 50am breaker inside the trailer it trips the breaker on the generator.

Last edited:

6.7LMegaCab

The breakers on the generator are only 30A each, so if you are trying to run two on one breaker, that is why it is tripping it. The startup up amps on each AC demand quite a bit.

Is it only one of the two breakers on the generator tripping with either combination or with one combo, it trips one breaker and another combo, it trips the other?

I made some rearrangements in the electrical a year or two ago in my RW (2 AC units), but if my memory serves me correctly, the manufacturer had both ACs on one Line (both on left side of main breaker panel) that would trip the 30A breaker at the generator.

What I would do is move the garage and middle AC to the right (or left) side of the breaker panel, with the bedroom AC on the opposite side.

If you need to run the garage AC and bedroom AC, try to run the fan only in the middle as that should help distribute the cold air.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

Oh! You might want to inquire about whether or not it'll affect warranty, but if not, you ought to look into the SoftStartRV. I put one on both AC units a couple months ago and it definitely made a difference. I hooked up the shore power to my 9K portable generator since it as two ammeters, and neither AC pulled more than 10A each on startup.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk