Safety Chains

Can anyone tell me if I am required to have safety chains for my Anderson hitch? We live in AZ where it isn't required but re looking at traveling to WA and TX soon. I am unfamiliar with the towing laws of other states.

Scott and Rebecca Beck
2013 38' Big Horn Silverado
2008 F-250 Diesel.

danemayer

Hi Ladylyonne,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got quite a few Anderson Hitch owners here and i believe chains have been discussed in the past, so I expect you'll get some feedback soon.

Lynn1130

Some states do and some don't. I have the Andersen and chains so that I do not run into and issue in a state I pass through.

Eric1234

I can tell you California requires safety chains. A CHP commercial enforcement officer told me they look at the Andersen as a gooseneck Hitch and will sideline you on the side of the road without chains. I recently welded some D-rings to my Mor Ryde hitch and put the chains on that so I don’t have to climb into the bed of the truck to attach the chains.

Have a good night

Eric

Attachments

• E44CA27D-668C-43C1-9749-DA1ECA70B265.jpg
    E44CA27D-668C-43C1-9749-DA1ECA70B265.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 116
  • 7A3FAA97-1F0E-4D2D-A5A3-FD937B82DFA3.jpg
    7A3FAA97-1F0E-4D2D-A5A3-FD937B82DFA3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 8A850B87-897A-4F9B-8019-FA92C677CD89.jpg
    8A850B87-897A-4F9B-8019-FA92C677CD89.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 109

SNOKING

I can tell you California requires safety chains. A CHP commercial enforcement officer told me they look at the Andersen as a gooseneck Hitch and will sideline you on the side of the road without chains. I recently welded some D-rings to my Mor Ryde hitch and put the chains on that so I don’t have to climb into the bed of the truck to attach the chains.

Have a good night

Eric

You did not cross them! :D :angel: :D

Eric1234

I know it’s a requirement for safety chains to be crossed on a bumper pull trailer, I am not sure about gooseneck since if it separates it’ll go into the bed of the truck. I went this far to be legal I will research whether these chains need to be crossed and get a definitive answer.

Eric

SNOKING

I know it’s a requirement for safety chains to be crossed on a bumper pull trailer, I am not sure about gooseneck since if it separates it’ll go into the bed of the truck. I went this far to be legal I will research whether these chains need to be crossed and get a definitive answer.

Eric

There was a little tongue and cheek in my post! :cool:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I know safety chains are mandated in some states and not in others. I also know that the Anderson hitch is in a gray area with regulation. I wasn’t taking any chances. For $80, it was a no-brainer.

Have a good night

Eric

I just installed the Anderson Hitch. How are you attaching your break away brake cable?

Lynn1130

Mine is attached to one of the D-rings on the left side of the bed of the truck with a lock ring.

- - - Updated - - -

Bones

I have chains and hook my break away cable onto one of the supports on the hitch for the moment