Sailun ST235/85R16 S637 Date Code

Short-Bed-Dually

I have a 2017 Bighorn 3575EL with original Sailun tires date code August 2016. They have very few miles on them, 4000 or less, not that that matters! What is considered time out on these tires?

Last edited:

Bob.jr

As per everything I have ever read here, 5 years is the lifespan of a tire.
I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

danemayer

Most of us look at this decision based on the cash outlay for a set of tires. So let's say 5 tires at $250 each, installed, is $1,250. That's a hefty bill. But over a 4 year life cycle, it's $312.50 per year. You'll spend nearly the same amount on Diesel to tow 1,000 miles per year. You might spend that much to have new fuel filters installed on the truck.

Blowouts can cause significant damage and tremendous inconvenience. You don't want to go through that experience.

Flick

I have a 2017 Bighorn 3575EL with original Sailun tires date code August 2016. They have very few miles on them, 4000 or less, not that that matters! What is considered time out on these tires?

I do think that most of us look at 5 years as a kind of benchmark to start thinking about replacing tires. I also think that this unwritten tire replacing rule has a lot of factors that should be entered into one’s final decision to replace them. Some of the factors could be make of the tires, mileage on the tires, how the tires are being used, age of the tires, among other considerations including storage, exposure to sunlight, weight of the rig, etc.
Cost usually does enter into it, but I look at tire cost as a kind of insurance. Why? Because I’m one of those that tried to get one more trip out of a set of Carlisle’s, the tires that were on my rig when I purchased it. In the future, I’ll replace a quality tire at the 5 year mark of when they were installed, not when they were made. I’ll fudge that much.
And to add, if the tire currently in use is not one of the so called, RV user preferred brands, I’d probably take them off tomorrow.

Short-Bed-Dually

Interesting the date code on the tires is August 2016, the MFG date on the camper is November 2016, so they didn't sit on the shelf for very long. They are Sailun S637 tires, which seem to have a good experience reputation. I use the Bighorn April to November and store it inside, with the tires off the ground Mid-November to to late March. I think I would be safe replacing them in March of 2022 when it comes out of storage. They only get around 2000 miles a year put on them. What do you all think?

Flick

Interesting the date code on the tires is August 2016, the MFG date on the camper is November 2016, so they didn't sit on the shelf for very long. They are Sailun S637 tires, which seem to have a good experience reputation. I use the Bighorn April to November and store it inside, with the tires off the ground Mid-November to to late March. I think I would be safe replacing them in March of 2022 when it comes out of storage. They only get around 2000 miles a year put on them. What do you all think?

Of course anything can happen, but that’s with new tires also. I know I would leave them till ‘22.

RickL

Obviously the changing of tires comes down to ones comfort level/peace of mind. Now from a person that spent 35+ years in the tire industry here is my take/opinion. Time is irrelevant what is more important is the condition of the tire. How much non skid is remaining (ok layman’s term is tread depth). Also is there any or much channel cracking (area between the tread) or sidewall checking/cracking. Some cracking/checking is ok as long as it isn’t real deep. If you can see belts then it’s time to replace. The other area to keep in mind is cupping or irregular wear. If it’s too bad and the tire is bouncing then it’s best to take off as it will accelerate wear of other suspension components. While many disagree I believe the additional cost of balancing the tire/wheel assembly when new and then again about 5,000 miles down the road will help prolong the tires life.

But, again keep in mind your peace of mind can’t be measured so if you are not comfortable replace them.