Sailun tires excessive wear on inside and outside of all 4 tires!

RickL

Every tire dealer I have talked to has said to run the tires at max 110 PSI cold (unless it is extremely hot like it can be in FL in the summer then only run 10 PSI less). They told me it does not hurt the tire to run max pressure and be loaded less than the tire is rated for. It does hurt the other way to have less pressure than it is rated for and have more weight than the weight it is rated for at a lower PSI. I Run my DRW (all 6 tires) at 80 PSI cold which is the max on my load E's and they wear just fine even when I am usually empty so I am almost always under loaded for my pressure and weight rating. I do not do that much turning for the tires to be normal and wear like they are. Others with other tires or even older Sailun's are not having issues like mine even when turning normally. My pictures again were at 12 months and only 12k miles or so. The 75% of the tread is wearing like normal only the outside 5/8" of an inch has excessive wear.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Can you get pictures and date codes on the old ones? Thanks in Advance!

The reason tire dealers tell you to run the max is basically a CYA. Yes it does not hurt to run max, but that doesn’t mean you will get the best wear or ride. As to the compounding you indicated I’m not too sure Saliun has different compound between the face and the shoulder area. As to the part of being defective I’m not too sure Saliun would consider irregular wear or rapid wear a manufacturing defect. Most manufacturers in a medium commercial or trailer applications won’t consider that a defect. They MAY do a policy concession towards new replacement but I doubt you would get better then a 50% consideration.

Tires go through amazing torsional twists/movements. So depending on the roads traveled, the weight being hauled, the turns taken (keep in mind that you are basically dragging the tires sideways in many instances) as a result it’s had for the manufacturers to warranty these types of tires.

Not or trying to stand up for the manufacturers just trying to be logical with the solution.

Lastly, please share the 20 year Goodyear defect with me. No too sure I ever heard about one with the trailer tires.

mlpeloquin

Every turn, left or right, your tires twist to the edges and scrub. It is the nature of the beast with inline tires. My G614’s wear on the edges quicker as well with 105psi. All I need is 90psi.

SNOKING

Many with GY G614's and the Sailun s637's report similar issues. I will run a thought past you. If the tire is over inflated for the weight, are the tires scrubbing the outer edges in cornering because the center of the tire is carrying the load and the edges scrub? Just a thought. We have around 15K+ on ours and do not see this wear pattern. We run ours at 100-105 PSI. Chris

broit

Many with GY G614's and the Sailun s637's report similar issues. I will run a thought past you. If the tire is over inflated for the weight, are the tires scrubbing the outer edges in cornering because the center of the tire is carrying the load and the edges scrub? Just a thought. We have around 15K+ on ours and do not see this wear pattern. We run ours at 100-105 PSI. Chris

Chris

Thanks that is why I posted here to get more info and see if others are having the same issue and if so is there anything we can do to reduce the wear. We will try 10 PSI less and see what happens.

Thanks!

CDN

B and B
My Sailuns run at 110 psi and on some days at 75 to 80 here on Ontario on 2 lane roads at 55 to 60 mph I get up to 120 psi and 90 degrees on the sun side. I did see them last summer returning from Goshen on i69 reach 124 psi and 95 degrees F.

This is a perplexing issue.

RickL

My Sailuns run at 110 psi and on some days at 75 to 80 here on Ontario on 2 lane roads at 55 to 60 mph I get up to 120 psi and 90 degrees on the sun side. I did see them last summer returning from Goshen on i69 reach 124 psi and 95 degrees F.

This is a perplexing issue.

Dont worry about a normal increase in pressure or temp. I’ll address the temp first as that’s the easiest. You can comfortably run up 190-200 degrees without an issue. New tires are vulcanized at 350-375 degrees so as long as you don’t hit the vulcanizing temps the tire won’t come apart. The reason you want to stay below 200 (give or take) is the amount of time to go from 200 plus to 350 happens quickly.

As for pressure tires tires are engineered knowing that pressures will increase with temps and loads. That is why you set pressures “cold”. Cold in tire terms means that the temp inside the tire matches the ambient outside temp. One should never deflate a tire in the middle of the day because the pressure Haas risen. Set it before any trip (even a simple 3-4 block trip to fill the tire will affect the pressure) and then just monitor the pressure. If all 4/6 tires are the same you should be ok to go. If one has a large variance then obviously there is an issue. If it’s lower then that’s a no brainer check for a leak. If it is 10 plus lbs more then the others I would be looking at a overloaded situation.

danemayer

@DanEMayer...

Which model Sailun did you go with for your Dually? I'll be replacing my Tow Vehicle tires soon and have been thinking Sailun since I have had good luck with them on my Triple Axle Cyclone. Are they running out OK? How is the bad weather performance?

Thanks,

WB

Sailun Terramax A/T 4S 235/80R -17

broit

For anyone also having this issue here are two resources to let them know you are also having an issue so they will investigate it.

I was told to file a complaint with the NHTSA as they will do research to see if there really may be an issue especially if they hear from others as well.

Also the manufacturer for the tires said they have not had any complaints from anyone else so here is their direct contact info so you can also let them know if you are having the same issue to they can see that it is not just me and that there might actually be an issue with the tires!

Olga Fraga (
ofraga@TBCCORP.com)

Consumer Relations

TBC Wholesale (they sell and import Sailun in the US)

4300 TBC Way

Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

Tel. (800) 238-6469 - toll free

(561) 383-3114 - direct

Fax (800) 467-4638

Hogladyrider

We are fulltimers in our Cyclone with Sailun tires that have shown wear on the outside edge. Truthfully I panicked last fall when we were almost back to our winter residence in Florida and noticed the wear pattern on our tires. After much research on the forum here and a trip to a truck repair shop we realized the wear pattern was nothing to be overly concerned about.

We have visually looked at other 5th wheels here in the campground where we workamp (not Sailun's) and all pretty much have the same outside wear pattern. Now that doesn't make it right but there is some comfort in knowing one is not alone. The outside wear pattern is from turning. Our 1st 5th wheel was only a weekender for us. Tires should be replaced after so many years and even though we did not have a lot of mileage on the original tires wow did they wear out fast....lesson learned just because you don't drive lots of miles.

We check tire pressure before each drive and we check tire temperature at each stop. Tires are not something to ignore.

I must be missing something in your posts because I don't see a post where you talk about replacing your tires.

For us we have decided to upgrade to MOR-ryde independent suspension 8000 lb axles and Goodyear G114 tires and wheels. Yes new tires are a big investment but so is our home on wheels.

Not trying to start an argument but now that you have filed your complaint with the appropriate organizations what is your next step with your tires, are you going to replace them?

Best of luck and happy and SAFE traveling!

Susan

SNOKING

Anyone ever drive new S-637's across white paper when inflated to 110 lbs and check foot print pattern?

This outer rib wear seems to be a LRG all steel ply tire issue.

I ran XPS Ribs and B/S R250's both all steel ply tires on our SOB trailer and they wore evenly when inflated to 71 lbs. The XPS Ribs wore the outer ribs at 65 lbs (Slightly) according to the placard for LT235/85R16E's, so I increased them to 71.

As I noted, our S-637 appear to be wearing evenly.

mlpeloquin

Ever watch your trailer tires in the rear view mirror when backing up? They bend to an edge. Same when going forward when turning. If you over inflate to keep the outer edges from hard scrubbing in turns then at the perfect psi they may wear flat depending how may turns, how hard a turn(s), and just how much non turn driving you do. Inline tires will bend towards and edge when turning and scrub that edge.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
a4049f8ec1f6d299fd883ff3db84efea.jpg

aeb7d9f1a41ac02d292443528b809055.jpg

All our tires are covered in white gravel dust, so hard to take a good pic. Here's how ours are wearing after 2-1/2 years. I'll have to figure the mileage, but probably less than 15k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Here is a picture of one of ours with similar mileage and 2 years + old. There might be a slight bit of more wear on the out edges. I can measure that tomorrow, dressed for a party now. Chris

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20180615152638_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20180615152638_COVER.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 61

Geodude

I'll add that the Sailuns on our 2015 Bighorn are wearing faster on all outside edges on all four tires, however there is no sign of that "melting" showing in some of the OP's pictures.

We run at 110 PSI all the time, the tires have about 37,000 kms on them. We are well under trailer load capacity, based on a couple of trips to the scales. The trailer axles were aligned by a truck shop two years ago, and since then I installed a wet bolt kit. I first noticed this wear last year.

I've more or less decide to leave them be, since the wear is even, and get new tires at the end of this year.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
We had an attendee at the Mountain Regional Rally in Pueblo arrive and all 4 Sailun tires with excessive wear on the outside edges.
He had to replace all 4 tires. Axles were checked out at the rally and no issue with alignment. Tread was normal on the balance of the
tires.

broit

We had an attendee at the Mountain Regional Rally in Pueblo arrive and all 4 Sailun tires with excessive wear on the outside edges.
He had to replace all 4 tires. Axles were checked out at the rally and no issue with alignment. Tread was normal on the balance of the
tires.

Thanks! If you have their info please pass on the two links I posted earlier so they can let the manufacturer know and the NHTSA know as well, they will be investigating our tires now.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Thanks! If you have their info please pass on the two links I posted earlier so they can let the manufacturer know and the NHTSA know as well, they will be investigating our tires now.

Thank you...they are new Arizona Members and I will advise them!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just to follow up... the melting like the OP posted, I have seen. I believe it was our first year with the rig, traveling to a rally in Missouri from Texas. The roads through Kansas are long and boring... it was hot, close to 100. I seem to remember stopping at a rest area, looked at the tires and saw what looked like "shedding" of skin. We figured it was due to the hot roads. We did not see it again later after we arrived at our destination.

Here's a pic I found of our tires June 2016, so we'd only had it 6 mo.

8cb187288d4c9024977de4dff540b052.jpg

danemayer

It's not a given that they will investigate. They have limited resources and focus on what they think represents the greatest danger on the highway.

broit

Just to follow up... the melting like the OP posted, I have seen. I believe it was our first year with the rig, traveling to a rally in Missouri from Texas. The roads through Kansas are long and boring... it was hot, close to 100. I seem to remember stopping at a rest area, looked at the tires and saw what looked like "shedding" of skin. We figured it was due to the hot roads. We did not see it again later after we arrived at our destination.

Here's a pic I found of our tires June 2016, so we'd only had it 6 mo.

8cb187288d4c9024977de4dff540b052.jpg

Thanks for the pix!

The really crazy thing is that, and I had to look up the details from the picture of the shedding skin pix, that pix was at 8:30 am in South Carolina the end of October last fall and we just just pulled over at a rest area were we did not have to turn very sharp to stop. It was not that hot that early in the morning that late in the fall. None of it makes any sense! I have never seen the tire pressure less than 2 PSI less than 110! The center of the tread is still only 1-2 32nds less than the 12/32nds the spare which has never been used. The center is wearing like steel! The outside at times is melting off like butter. It just does not make sense. :(