Satellite for Internet

EPaulikonis

Anybody out there know if you can utilize DirectTV or Dish to connect via WiFi on a smart phone to access Internet? Was hopeful there is an option available to avoid purchasing a large data plan on the phone to access Internet. Any pointers to technology or threads that already cover this topic is appreciated; my searches haven't been scratching the itch. Thanks.

Bohemian

Anybody out there know if you can utilize DirectTV or Dish to connect via WiFi on a smart phone to access Internet? Was hopeful there is an option available to avoid purchasing a large data plan on the phone to access Internet. Any pointers to technology or threads that already cover this topic is appreciated; my searches haven't been scratching the itch. Thanks.

You can add a WiFi access point and have WiFi on your own network

1) You need straight line sight to the satellite as with satellite TV.
2) There are minimum height restrictions on the antenna as you will be broadcasting back to the satellite and you don't want to microwave cook anybody.
3) You will need to know how to setup and align the antenna.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that no matter how you connect to the internet you are going to pay, unless you are using a public access point.
Park WIFI, McDonalds, library etc.
So I think that you will be paying for a "large data plan on the phone" or signing up for THIS.
Unless of course you use the public access.

Peace
Dave

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Direct TV does not offer satellite internet. They offer satellite internet through their sister company Hughesnet and I use them at home. Very happy with quality of signal and reliability. You will need a separate dish to accomplish this.

pegmikef

Dish sent me an advertisement regarding satellite internet, but it was pretty slow. I don't remember exactly around 20 Mbps (I get 65 Mbps with my jet pack). I didn't even read the flyer. Like everything else, once it is out and gets competitive, it will improve.

wdk450

I looked into Dish Network satellite internet when it first became available, with RVing internet access in mind. I was told by the Dish Network tech folks that the service was intended for fixed site users, because your receiver was linked to the local "spotbeam" (like local channels beam) for the area your fixed location is, and they were not set up to move users from internet spotbeam to spotbeam as they traveled. I have also heard that the data setup requires a much more precise dish aiming than for TV signals.

Bohemian

Also, satellite internet has a long latency, the time it takes to send a request and get a response, about 1/2 second. This does not effect streaming or downloads at all. It makes gaming near impossible.

EPaulikonis

Slightly surprised to hear they're still tying receivers to specific spot beams. Thought Direct TV had come out with a mobile package for a few additional bucks if you had them as a home (fixed location) TV service provider.

I'll probably do some more digging into the Hughes Net for mobile broadband subscribers. I still have some good contacts in the satellite industry at several other companies that offer mobile broadband to the aviation industry, so I'll probably hit up them up at the next Tech Expo in NY. Thanks for the feedback on the subject.

SeattleLion

If you are talking about using satellite to get internet, you can't with your regular TV subscription. RV's really can't get Hugesnet, which is the DirectTV internet service since the dish has both a transmitter and receiver. An FCC license is required to aim a dish that has a transmitter. We have an ATT plan that included 30GB of data (current special that expires today, I think, that gives you 30GB for the price of 15).

Crumgater

Downloading from satellite is easy - it's getting data back INTO space that's hard. Takes a lot of energy and precision to push a signal that far, even more if you want it to go quickly...

I'd stick with the phone data plan (data only travels to the nearest tower), or a separate hotspot (data only) piece of hardware.

Or... go visit the local coffee cafe for free wifi to download items, then go read/watch them back at the RV.

Bohemian

Has anyone tried this? How much is the mobile dish for this?

Lots of people have done this. This once was a very hot topic. Many with automate systems and many with manual tripod setups. There were many more suppliers. Most people have moved on to MiFi. MiFi is much simpler.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Since I have satellite internet service at home, I looked into this for the RV. My numbers are 5 years out of date, but at that time is was north of $5000 for the equipment, and about $125/mo for, I think, 10GB. Today, my home plan is $50/mo for 10GB with speeds about 1.25MB down and 500KB up. In the mobile world especially, satellite will never be cost competitive with wireless broadband from the cellphone carriers.

Last edited:

wdk450

I know there is some sort of mobile satellite internet that is used in high end RV's and entertainer tour buses. Also airliners. And, the major car companies have begin to advertise mobile internet hookups in cars, but I would suppose this is cellular-based.

But, did you look closely at the monthly charges for some of the mobile internet providers linked to the Hughsnet posting? I think I saw something like $2400 a month for 10 Gb on one of those.