Satellite Question

'Lil Guy'

Getting ready to hit the road in a few months. Just had a Dish satellite installed at the home but installer said receivers aren't compatible with the mobile satellites. We have the Joey 1.0 receiver and Hopper sling at home with dvr. Is anyone using this?
I guess I could just buy the mobile satellite and get new receivers but wouldn't that be a separate contract?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I just made the switch to dish. Instead of getting a joey for my garage I bought one of their VIP 211K receivers. Now when we head out on a trip I just take that with us. Maybe call Dish back and see if you can swap out a joey for a receiver or just add one to your account. I think they charged me about $90 for it.

Mburtsvt

Do you have a Dish or DirecTV dish on your RV? You need one that is specific to your home system. In other words If you have Dish at home - you need a Dish satellite.

'Lil Guy'

Dish at home and dish will be on the rv.
If I buy new receivers to match the rv dish, will they work from home or do I need to add another service?

danemayer

Frank,

If I understand, you're planning on buying an auto-aiming satellite dish like the Dish Tailgater or Winegard Pathway X2 to use with the RV. You'll need a receiver that is compatible with whatever dish you buy. I'm not sure any of them are compatible with the Joey/Hopper receivers, so you'll probably have to buy a compatible receiver.

You'll have to talk to Dish about whether you can add the compatible receiver to your home account so you can use that same programming package that you're already paying for. Given that you have Joey/Hopper, a receiver compatible with the carryout dish may not be compatible with the Joey/Hopper installation.

That may force you into the Dish "Pay as you Go" offering where you pay for a separate programming package in the RV, but only for the months where you use the RV.

On the other hand, if you think you're up to setting up a manually-aimed dish on a tripod, you might be able to get another dish like the one on your house and take your home receivers with you when traveling.

pegmikef

Frank, I have used the Dish Tailgater for four plus years. I just bought the Tailgater and receiver and have a contract with Dish. I think it depends on the type of antenna you are using with the BH. The Tailgater requires a specific receiver, but some of the other ones don't. Most folks I know just have one account and either take a receiver from home or have a separate one. I think your current plan probably would apply if you own the equipment. You would just have to have them activate the added receiver.

On edit . . . Dan types faster than I do!

Kbvols

I have a hopper at home and a tailgater for RV. The tailgater requires a 211 receiver as I understand or was told by dish. The nice thing about the 211 you can pay for only the months you want to use it. I haven't looked a the itemized bill in awhile but is $7 month is what they charge. They are good about changing local channels to whatever area you are in if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the Hopper (with a wireless Joey for the bedroom) in our rig. We are mostly stationary, so they set up a compatible dish on a tripod for us. When we moved to go on a trip, I must admit, we failed to get the dish set up properly. We moved our stationary location to a new town, so we called Dish and they came out and set up the dish again.

I believe if you want to use the Hopper, it can be done with the right dish and aiming it properly. When I spoke to the Satellite vendor at Goshen, they said the only RV dish compatible with the Hopper is the Winegard Traveler. (It is permanently mounted on the roof.) None of the carry-out type dishes will work with the Hopper.

Btw, we love our Hopper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Frank,

I have a Hopper with Sling and a Super Joey in my trailer with a Winegard Traveler Satellite Dish and a also have a Dish 1004 dish with 3 LNB's, that I set up manually when the sight line is blocked by trees. The manual dish is the same as is mounted on your house. I would not recommend the Super Joey because it requires a third cable run to either dish that I use. The Joey does not require any additional cables to the Dish(s). I only have Dish in my trailer and I set up an RV account, which I can put on vacation mode any time I want and as many times a year I want. I have purchased all the Dish equipment and installed it myself. I buy most of my Dish equipment from Solid Signal.

szewczyk_john

I have Dish at home and take one of the receivers with me for travel and use the carryout sat with it. Dish has called me a few times offering the hopper and I keep explaining that I do not want it for that reason. You can still be a new member and not get the hopper system. The only difference between my home service and travel service is that I do not get any local channels while in the RV. So for broadcast TV we have to switch over to the rooftop over the air antenna. Dish has explained to me that I can change my location for a set period of time to the zip code that I am traveling to and that would allow me to get the locals but the folks at home would then be denied the use of the local channels back home.

For our home system we have 2 HD receivers, with one having DVR capabilities set up in the main living room. We take the non DVR one with us which is from our bedroom.

'Lil Guy'

We have the Hopper Sling with the Joey 1.0 in the bedroom. I don't have a problem buying another receiver or two but I don't want to pay for a separate service if I don' have to. We'll be raveling about 6 to 8 months during the year. I'm looking at a regular dish with the heavy duty tripod with all the extras to aid in alignment from rv4tv. Bill Sims had a really clean setup on his rig at the La. rally. I'm sure some of our travels will require setting the dish away from the RV so the portable dish will be needed. I'll check with some of he self aligning dishes and see if I can buy the receivers for it and still use our home service. Push comes to shove, I'll just have to have two separate contracts.
Thanks for the replies.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Hopper Sling with the Joey 1.0 in the bedroom. I don't have a problem buying another receiver or two but I don't want to pay for a separate service if I don' have to. We'll be raveling about 6 to 8 months during the year. I'm looking at a regular dish with the heavy duty tripod with all the extras to aid in alignment from rv4tv. Bill Sims had a really clean setup on his rig at the La. rally. I'm sure some of our travels will require setting the dish away from the RV so the portable dish will be needed. I'll check with some of he self aligning dishes and see if I can buy the receivers for it and still use our home service. Push comes to shove, I'll just have to have two separate contracts.
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure but I think Dish allows you to temporarily suspend your service. If so that would work having two contracts i.e. you could suspend the home while on the road and suspend the road contract when home. You might check that out.

TravelTiger

I believe there are easier-aiming tripods out there but this is the "new" dish they installed for our Hopper/Joey system in July.

7bad742caaceee4509bc99b2c9639217.jpg
bc0753a3c2e2541e499028c53f5f5f33.jpg
ed336333d90f4a5051d2dceb7cb74441.jpg

gasman

Camp Socializer
We went full time in October. I purchased the X2 with the receiver bundle and also a low profile tripod from Amazon for around $500. I pay $7 a month extra on my account. We left everything at home intact and just added a receiver to the bill as we moved one of our kids into our house to take care of things there. We use the rooftop antenna for locals and all is well.

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the input here. I thought I had to pay for another package all together. I'm looking at the Pathway X2 which gets western and eastern sat's with 2 rec's for an additional $14.00 per month. Leaving everything at home is a plus. Problem solved.
Thanks for the replies. When I talked to our installer at home, he said I needed an additional package for the RV.
Thanks again for the replies and I'll do more research before I start asking stupid questions next time.lol

gasman

Camp Socializer
This is a pretty good place to do your research. It's comforting to not have to reinvent the wheel every time.

TravelTiger

Btw, when Dish came to aim our Satellite for us at our new home park a few weeks ago, they again switched out the LNBs and the switch you see attached to the tripod. They said they are constantly "improving".