Satellite Television - What do you use?

dkelly243

I was wondering what portable cablevision (direct TV or Dish network) is everybody using? What about HD antennas? Don't want to spend thousands of dollars for tv.... but it is football season.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

We use a Directv satellite dish. We have Directv at home and added receivers for the RV along with a Slimline 3 dish on a tripod. When outside our home broadcast area, we use Distant Network Services to get NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox and CW broadcasts.

If we're located in a campground near over-the-air broadcast TV, and aren't there for long enough to bother setting up the dish, we'll watch TV from the trailer's rooftop antenna.

Every once in a while, if it's a 1 night stay, and we're not in range of over-the-air TV, we'll use campground cable TV.

mlpeloquin

We too use Direct TV at home and on the road. I set up a direct TV dish on my home made PVC pipe stand. I use a Bird Dog satellite meter and set up is just a couple of minuets. I purchased the meter as a refurbished meter from Satellite Oasis for about $240.00 on the recommendation of a Direct TV installer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have DirecTV at home, but we don't camp enough to worry about having it in the Prowler.

However, the best $50 I've ever spent was for the King/Jack HDTV antenna head replacement for the stock batwing antenna that came from the factory.

In our side yard the batwing pulled in less than 30 channels . . . the King/Jack pulls in almost 80 channels parked in the same spot!

ProwlerMaxxAirFrontDoneStorm-P1010871.jpg ProwlerVegasHOC-P1020420.jpg

And I've pulled in TV stations in the mountains where all I got was 'snow' with the batwing.

I'm thinking about buying another King/Jack and putting it on our garage and dumping that $140/month DirecTV bill!

U2fletch

We got a Dish setup. Wally receiver and tailgater unit. We like the monthly pay as you go plan since we are not full timers.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

jbeletti

We have a Winegard satellite dish mounted on the roof of the RV - not a portable (for DirecTV). We also have a standard satellite dish mounted to the house using the same DirecTV account. We get our local stations via satellite and when we are on the road, we call up DirecTV and change our "Service Address" so we get locals for the area we are staying in.

padre44

I had Direct TV at home and in another receiver in the RV. Price got too high so switched to Dish. Much happier with it. Bought a receiver from them for RV so only costs additional $7 per month. I could stop and start that receiver, but more trouble than its worth, so I leave it live. Got a King Quest - no problem getting it to line up satellites. Had to get a Universal Controller to work with Dish when I switched. Still works fine and I get HD rather than just SD. In my opinion, Dish is much better, down to the app for your phone that lets you schedule recordings, and a way to take your recordings from home with you on the road.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have Dish Network. Have been using the dish on a tripod, but soon to be installing the Winegard roof mounted system. We have the Dish Hopper and wireless Joey, so we can record up to 4 shows at once and view/watch others on any tv. Because the Hopper needs to connect to 3 satellites, the portable Carryout systems like Tailgater, etc. won't work with it. Thus, we went with the Winegard automatic for the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VMooreSR

We have a Winegard Travler for Direct tv on the roof and we use an Am21 off air tuner for local channels wherever we are.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have Dish with the 211 receiver and Winegard Pathway X2. We paid the extra so that we can have a hard drive connected to record programming. We did not see the need to have sat tv in the bedroom so we changed out the batwing with an HD antenna which brings in a lot of channels. We have a tailgator antenna as well but it only picks up the western arc satellites and we have found the eastern arcs are easier to find when surrounded by trees. The pathway picks up both arcs.

sjandbj

We are using the winegard traveler with Direct TV. I pull the box out of the house when we travel so I am not paying for something I don't use. For local channels I guess I could call Direct TV but the king antenna that I put on to replace the bat wing works so good I don't hassle with the phone call. Between the two I have everything I need.

AAdams

We use DISH when we have it activated. We use park cable when available and let the DISH get shut off to save money. We have the roof mounted antenna for DISH and the "Pay as you go" plan, so you can pay and turn the service on for a month then keep paying till you no longer need it. They do not charge extra to turn on or for when it goes off. Works for us pretty well.

MTPockets

We used the Dish Tailgater with a Dish service for over three years, always liked it and never had a problem. We like the portability. At the time of our original subscription there was no contract required. Don't know what is offered today, but pay as you go sounds nice.

pegmikef

Dish with Tailgater Portable automatic antenna. Almost five years now with very few problems although I am on my second antenna and receiver.

Dennyha

For the past two years, we've used a DISH tailgater and a VIP 211 receiver. It worked well, but we just switched our home service from DISH to DIRECTV. We'll take one of the DIRECTV receivers into the camper, and I'm going to learn to align a slimline on a tripod. It's prohibitively expensive to use DISH service in the camper when I have DIRECTV at home. We'll be selling the Tailgator and VIP in spring.

rmathews

I used the Dish tailgater..or tried to use it for the past year. Had nothing but troubles with it finding satellites and getting a TV signal on cloudy /rainy days. Just bought the HD dish and tripod..very very happy with it.

I also coukdn't get the satellite signal through the trailer wi9ring to the receiver with the tailgater, but witht he HD dish on the tripod the signal is strong enough
to go through the trailer wiring and I receive all channels.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SNOKING

For the past two years, we've used a DISH tailgater and a VIP 211 receiver. It worked well, but we just switched our home service from DISH to DIRECTV. We'll take one of the DIRECTV receivers into the camper, and I'm going to learn to align a slimline on a tripod. It's prohibitively expensive to use DISH service in the camper when I have DIRECTV at home. We'll be selling the Tailgator and VIP in spring.

I find the DirecTV HD SWM dish very easy to älign. The mount has scales built in to aid in alignment. I use a smart phone app called IP Cam. Set up a smartphone in front of the TV with the signal meters up, and telenet to the smart phone via one of my MiFi's with a tablet. So meters slow up on tablet screen. The SWM setup is nice as you only need one coax to the dish for multiple TV's.

Solid Signal can supply the SWM dish, LNB, SWM splitter and power inserter.

DWChris

I have Dish at home and in RV. I have the Winegard dish mounted to roof (not portable). I've been very happy. I just turn it on and off as needed and don't pay for service in the Landmark unless we're in it using it. I get locals via satellite. I can get my home channels a pretty good distance. But if outside that area I just call Dish and give them a new address. I have really liked working with Dish. Always very nice and easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk