Scared and happy

I took my 5th wheeler from California to Tennessee. Got to the campsite and damaged the rear of my Rv by turning too sharp between two trees. I bought the cyclone 3500 and it's 43 ft long. I had a spotter but he was too drunk and was not looking. Anyway love the Rv still afraid I my have bought it too long. Does anyone have that fear still . I know over time the fear should leave but how long did it take

jimtoo

Hi ichatman05,

Welcome to the Heartland family and to the forum posting side. I see you have been a member for a while,, just lurking in the background I guess.

I also just went to a 5 ft. longer unit and it does make a difference. But you will get accustomed to the extra length. It is always good to have someone help when your in a tight spot, but they need to be in the right place and aware of what your wanting to do. Also some radios or even just your cell phone connected can be lots of help in communicating with each other.

Hang in there and if you can, go to a empty parking lot, if you can find one, and do some backing and turning to see how much room you need.

Jim M

Rodbuster

I think everybody is somewhat apprehensive when they have to back into a tight spot.
As far as your "fear", that will go away alot quicker once you start using a spotter thats sober and paying attention.

Good luck and be safe.
Dick

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On our 2nd major trip we got "up close and personal" with a concrete pole that guards the power pedestal on the driver side, because we were watching/avoiding the picnic table on the passenger side. OUCH.

That was 3 years ago, and I still watch VERY carefully as we are negotiating a site.

You just got a "crash course" in parking. You will probably never do that again, thanks to this lesson.

Sorry you had this experience! Get it fixed and enjoy. Now you have a story to tell around the campfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Since I am a single RVer, and don't currently have my rear camera system working, the one thing I do in tight maneuvering and backing is: STOP FREQUENTLY, GET OUT OF THE TRUCK, AND WALK BACK TO ASSESS THE SITUATION. If I block traffic some, so be it. Even with spotters and radios, this is still a good idea if you are unclear in your mind on how you are doing.

brianharrison

I have always had the "fear" of backing a large trailer - without this anxiety, I could of had many incidents as I have experienced many times where I just about hit something or someone.

There is always enough time to check things twice, or three times (as Bill mentions). The time required to repair the rig, or get over the mental torture of "stupid mistakes" is quite a bit longer, IMHO.

Brian

Eddhuy

+1 with what Bill Knight said. If you stop and take a look for yourself before you get too close to things, whether there is a good spotter or not, it simplifies the job a tremendous amount.

On my first outing with a FW, two trees teamed up on me and a branch caught the roofing. A year later, towing a FW 8 feet longer in same place. There was fear but it was so much easier and no damage.

whp4262

I took my 5th wheeler from California to Tennessee. Got to the campsite and damaged the rear of my Rv by turning too sharp between two trees. I bought the cyclone 3500 and it's 43 ft long. I had a spotter but he was too drunk and was not looking. Anyway love the Rv still afraid I my have bought it too long. Does anyone have that fear still . I know over time the fear should leave but how long did it take

I started pulling and backing trailers on the farm long before I was old enough for a driver license and even after all these years there is a bit of a learning curve when I pull a trailer of a different length that I haven't pulled for a while. The other thing I've learned is no matter how long you've been doing it stuff happens, its just a Murphy thing. I wouldn't worry about buying a trailer to long , you will get the hang of it. I think a little time in a big parking lot as jimtoo suggested is a pretty good idea. What wdk450 said about taking your time when backing into a spot is also a good idea, never bothered me to wait a few minutes for someone to get backed in and if it looks like they are having trouble I will ask them if I can help.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
When we switched from a 29' to our current 37' I had a similar incident. While pulling into the storage facility I turned to soon and caught the gate post. $700 later I am now very careful in my maneuvers.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Food for thought. Get out and look for yourself. If you have to move a picnic table...so be it. If you have a spotter....tell them..." if you cant see my eyes in the mirror...I cant see you". Never...ever...try to back in without using your mirrors. I dont care how many times you have to pull forward to get it straight enough so you can see both sides of your trailer. You are not running a race to prove anything. A long 5er reacts very slowly to your truck when backing.....so back up slowly and do not over correct with your steering wheel. Sorry you had this issue, but its all a learning curve. We have all had BOO-BOO's.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Food for thought. Get out and look for yourself. If you have to move a picnic table...so be it. If you have a spotter....tell them..." if you cant see my eyes in the mirror...I cant see you". Never...ever...try to back in without using your mirrors. I dont care how many times you have to pull forward to get it straight enough so you can see both sides of your trailer. You are not running a race to prove anything. A long 5er reacts very slowly to your truck when backing.....so back up slowly and do not over correct with your steering wheel. Sorry you had this issue, but its all a learning curve. We have all had BOO-BOO's.

Well said, Bob.