Screen Door Handle Reinforcement

ILH

Wouldn't you figure - I'm about to sell my current rig (2013 Road Warrior 305RW) and little things start to show up... For instance, the screen door handle - which is entirely made of plastic, begins to crack across the top. The stress of opening and closing, plus the latching against the outer door over the last 8 seasons was too much. As it turns out, the screen door on our friends' trailer did the exact same thing on the same weekend. He's the mechanic, so he came up with the solution (mod).

Since the latch is plastic, why not reinforce the latch with a metal plate? Fred fabricated a couple of thin plates that perfectly match the shape of the latch. We drilled holes to match the holes in the latch... painted them black to blend in... and voila! This will outlive any plastic replacement handle.

Trailer Handle.jpg

Gaffer

Get one of these. Easy to use. Easy to install. They come in white and black.

2Q==

carl.swoyer

Wouldn't you figure - I'm about to sell my current rig (2013 Road Warrior 305RW) and little things start to show up... For instance, the screen door handle - which is entirely made of plastic, begins to crack across the top. The stress of opening and closing, plus the latching against the outer door over the last 8 seasons was too much. As it turns out, the screen door on our friends' trailer did the exact same thing on the same weekend. He's the mechanic, so he came up with the solution (mod).

Since the latch is plastic, why not reinforce the latch with a metal plate? Fred fabricated a couple of thin plates that perfectly match the shape of the latch. We drilled holes to match the holes in the latch... painted them black to blend in... and voila! This will outlive any plastic replacement handle.

View attachment 63195
Great save!
Maybe a little super glue as well?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

WillyBill

The reason it broke is primarily because that is a left hand hinged door latch and it's on a rt hand hinged door. I have two just like it - both broke. (I inherited them when I bought a used Cyclone) I just replaced with the ones for a Rt Hand hinge and the outer plate is MUCH thicker and should last like it's supposed to. Priced under 6$ ea on Amazon. I think somebody sold a lot of lefties to the manufacturers as being for Rt hand doors. It IS confusing because when you look at the description the call out for a "left hand" door doesn't say that they are talking about the hinge side-Not the latch position. This IS a common issue. Surprised that I haven't seen it exposed on here before.

WB

Lou_and_Bette

The reason it broke is primarily because that is a left hand hinged door latch and it's on a rt hand hinged door. I have two just like it - both broke. (I inherited them when I bought a used Cyclone) I just replaced with the ones for a Rt Hand hinge and the outer plate is MUCH thicker and should last like it's supposed to. Priced under 6$ ea on Amazon. I think somebody sold a lot of lefties to the manufacturers as being for Rt hand doors. It IS confusing because when you look at the description the call out for a "left hand" door doesn't say that they are talking about the hinge side-Not the latch position. This IS a common issue. Surprised that I haven't seen it exposed on here before.

WB

Thanks for this tip, Bill. Mine just broke, and it was as you described, for left hand door. So, I ordered the correct one to replace it. Again, thanks to you for this tip.