Septic smell help!!

sepo454

All of a sudden, septic smell throughout trailer. Started in spare pop out bedroom, and under front belly storage compartment. Tried many things, ultimately unhooking from septic outside to try and isolate. Smell is mostly in spare bedroom and bathroom. Not coming from toilet. Spare bedroom is worst. Dumped black tank and flushed behind with both grays. No smells at first destination on this trip, but at second destination it has been pretty bad (smelly). Thinking I need to crud bust and flush again. Need help. Can’t figure it out, and for all intents and purposes this should not be happening. 5er is only a year old, and only been used 3 times. Crud busted black tank and did a good flush before it sat for about 6 months. Thanks for any help.

carl.swoyer

All of a sudden, septic smell throughout trailer. Started in spare pop out bedroom, and under front belly storage compartment. Tried many things, ultimately unhooking from septic outside to try and isolate. Smell is mostly in spare bedroom and bathroom. Not coming from toilet. Spare bedroom is worst. Dumped black tank and flushed behind with both grays. No smells at first destination on this trip, but at second destination it has been pretty bad (smelly). Thinking I need to crud bust and flush again. Need help. Can’t figure it out, and for all intents and purposes this should not be happening. 5er is only a year old, and only been used 3 times. Crud busted black tank and did a good flush before it sat for about 6 months. Thanks for any help.
Studor air admittance valves there's one underneath each sink. Easy and cheap fix. Un screw the Oled and screw the new on. I carry spares.
3731403e6ed5c95f4fdef24daedf52d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Garypowell

I’d start by removing the Studor valves and capping the pipe. You can initially do this with plastic wrap. If the smell goes away you have found that one of them went bad. If you wait long enough you’ll find out you don’t need them.

I capped mine off 8 years ago and have not had any problems!

After capping, if the smell continues you probably have a leak somewhere…..and that’s a whole other problem.

sepo454

I left us off the park septic overnight. Smell seems to be gone for the most part but still very faint under the bathroom sink. I only have 1 Studor valve under the kitchen sink. Isn’t one under the bathroom sink. I never did have the smell under the kitchen sink.

sepo454

It’s frustrating. Did a black tank crud buster this morning. Unhooked again from park dump. Smell still present in the basement even after leaving both sides open to air out for a couple of hours. Went under and inspected everything. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I mean, straight pipe from toilet down to tank. What else could it be? This is a Bighorn 39MB by the way.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Get up in the roof and pull, unscrew, the little mushroom vent caps. Check the area around the vent pipe. Make sure that the pipes extend above the roof line. I caulked the area around the pipes.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

Studor valves open when your dumping and it's designed to let air in to relieve the pressure/ vacuum.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk