Serious build quality issues

kderector

I have a 2021 33RETS North Trail and have had nothing but issue from day 1.
Anything from missing screws to holding the fresh water tank up to using paper gaskets for the sink drains.

It took 3 months of my warranty period to get almost all things fixed.

Has anyone had similar issues?

centerline

I can only respond to the use of paper gaskets in the sink drains...

the gasket may have been mis-used, which I have no answer for....

but there IS a paper gasket/washer supplied with the rubber seal, to be used with the drain basket assembly in the sink, but its supposed to fit between the nut and the rubber gasket....
after the drain basket is inserted, install the rubber gasket, then the paper washer, then the nut....

the paper is used as a friction washer ("anti"-friction washer), and is usually necessary to keep the rubber gasket in perfect alignment when installing it... otherwise it would be pulled/squeezed/forced outward as the friction of the nut pulls on it when rotating the nut to tighten the assembly in the sink basin....

as for the other problems you are having, NEW RV units are the worst for having issues like you are experiencing.... the work force in the factories are not much better than any of the young aimless adults in your surrounding neighborhood.... and for this type of employee, there needs to be about one supervisor for every 3 workers, but they dont, and will never employ that many supervisors.... so we get what we get, and unless you are willing to spend closer to a half mil for an rv that during the start of the manufacturing process, they designate specific individual inspectors for every individual system in the unit, which then has to be signed off on after TESTING and completed to satisfaction, it isnt going to get any better for us who buy these units.....

EVERYONE i have ever known that purchased a new unit so that they wouldnt have to put up with a previous owners issues, repairs and problems, has ended up with more issues that I ever have, and I have always purchasing USED....

its my opinion that a good clean, well maintained, used RV is always a better deal than a new one, in every respect, because it has had the bugs worked out of it, whereas the new units ALWAYS has a problem(s) somewhere.... and you, as the purchaser has to deal with the issues because you are the first one to ever use all the systems were not "used" previous to you buying them.... they may have had a quick test, but they have not been used like the buyer will use them.... so until the unit is purchased and used, no one really knows if there are any problems or not.....

Last edited:

thewanderingeight

I had a list of issues when I bought our 2021 Milestone. Luckily it was all stuff I could fix myself, even if some of the items were a bit egregious. Although this seems to be an issue across all brands, I think centerline did a good job explaining the workforce above. It all comes down to the training the person received, and probably the type of day they are having. Overall, I think buying an RV should be looked at more like buying a house than buying a car. They really need a good inspector to test everything out to avoid after-purchase surprises, but even then, there is no guarantee of how things will hold up as you go bouncing down the road.

Do I want better-quality units? Of course! Can I afford them? Probably not 😥

sengli

Pre-covid my wife and I took every factory tour we could. Jayco, DRV, heartland, Redwood all in the elkhart indiana area. Honestly these guys and gals, slap these things together as fast as they can. If they drop a screw during assembly, they wont take the time to pick it up, its all about how many can they run thru a station in a day. Hence the fact every new rig comes with a bag of new extra screws found pretty much everywhere!

I have had three new fifth wheels, and I guess I was lucky all of them had minor issues and I had the warranty parts sent to me and I fixed the issues myself. Bottom line is if you have an RV, you really need to be pretty handy. Relying on the dealer for anything... is a waste of time, and in many case a lot of time.

kderector

Thank you for your insight. I see what the issue is, but when you are paying 45000 for a camper, you would hope somethings were done correctly. I could have been driving down the road and had the fresh water tank fall out. Luckily it happened in my backyard where it is stored.

I guess the next owner will be happy to have the kinks worked out.

Funny, I still wish I had my old Sunnybrook. Loved that camper...

Anything from missing screws to holding the fresh water tank up to using paper gaskets for the sink drains.

We've had our Sundance 293RL for a week and a half and so far a window shade is missing, 2 others don't cover the entire window, a cupboard door is broken (you can't see it from the outside as the paper grain is covering it), slam latch on pass through won't latch, it did, the light over dinette broke at stem, microwave door won't open, the cd/dvd player will not accept discs, the shelf above the toilet has fallen off the wall, the paper one a cupboard door in the bedroom is already peeling off, and a marker light cover has fallen off and will not stay on. And let's add a slide out seal is falling off and the black tank flush won't flush...where the water is going I have no clue... Fixable things but still irritating and concerning.

Last edited:

sengli

I think like most people, paying 30, 40, 50K and easily more for an RV. One would think like buying a car it would mostly expected that everything would be perfect. And if its not the dealers are there to make the repair happen seamlessly. Honestly its really sad, that the new RV buyers dont have a clue what they are getting into. I read this forum, and see the threads here and there on brand new rigs with so many major issues. its kinda scary. Looking at the current prices of the new ones just going up and up, they have doubled in price. The build quality hasnt.

centerline

I think like most people, paying 30, 40, 50K and easily more for an RV. One would think like buying a car it would mostly expected that everything would be perfect. And if its not the dealers are there to make the repair happen seamlessly. Honestly its really sad, that the new RV buyers dont have a clue what they are getting into. I read this forum, and see the threads here and there on brand new rigs with so many major issues. its kinda scary. Looking at the current prices of the new ones just going up and up, they have doubled in price. The build quality hasnt.
due to the economy, the price of the parts, pieces and labor continues to go up, which has to be passed on to the one who is buying all the "assembled" parts and pieces.... and the ever increasing price of parts, pieces and labor has nothing to do with training, so yes, the build quality is no better even though the price is higher.....

there is also a severe shortage of people in the workforce, so the manufacture has to push their people harder to get the units out the door... and if they cant get enough units out the door to sell, they wont survive..... and if they arent around for people to buy from, then we either wont get to own one, or will have to pay even more for a unit from a company that is still in business, but isnt producing any better quality....... which is where we are now, (and will always be) as so many manufactures have already came and went before, for the very reason I just mentioned....

Mdelaney

We have a 2021 big horn MBS. Refrigerator never worked after delivery. It took until May before the finally decided the fridge was no good and sent a new one. We’ve had quality issues like molding pulling away Etc.

donr827

That is why doing a thorough walk-through before signing on the dotted line is so important. It is much easier to fix the problems you find then instead of after you sign.

MTPockets

I can only respond to the use of paper gaskets in the sink drains...

the gasket may have been mis-used, which I have no answer for....

but there IS a paper gasket/washer supplied with the rubber seal, to be used with the drain basket assembly in the sink, but its supposed to fit between the nut and the rubber gasket....
after the drain basket is inserted, install the rubber gasket, then the paper washer, then the nut....

the paper is used as a friction washer ("anti"-friction washer), and is usually necessary to keep the rubber gasket in perfect alignment when installing it... otherwise it would be pulled/squeezed/forced outward as the friction of the nut pulls on it when rotating the nut to tighten the assembly in the sink basin....

as for the other problems you are having, NEW RV units are the worst for having issues like you are experiencing.... the work force in the factories are not much better than any of the young aimless adults in your surrounding neighborhood.... and for this type of employee, there needs to be about one supervisor for every 3 workers, but they dont, and will never employ that many supervisors.... so we get what we get, and unless you are willing to spend closer to a half mil for an rv that during the start of the manufacturing process, they designate specific individual inspectors for every individual system in the unit, which then has to be signed off on after TESTING and completed to satisfaction, it isnt going to get any better for us who buy these units.....

EVERYONE i have ever known that purchased a new unit so that they wouldnt have to put up with a previous owners issues, repairs and problems, has ended up with more issues that I ever have, and I have always purchasing USED....

its my opinion that a good clean, well maintained, used RV is always a better deal than a new one, in every respect, because it has had the bugs worked out of it, whereas the new units ALWAYS has a problem(s) somewhere.... and you, as the purchaser has to deal with the issues because you are the first one to ever use all the systems were not "used" previous to you buying them.... they may have had a quick test, but they have not been used like the buyer will use them.... so until the unit is purchased and used, no one really knows if there are any problems or not.....
I think you're correct about used being better than new. Our 2012 Bighorn was in fact much better when we sold it in 2017, than it was when new... tires, suspension, finish, furniture, water system.... that buyer got a heluvu great deal! I believe the trick buying used is, was the unit upgraded in any way, used regularly... that would indicate a conscious user.

We bought a 2022 Fuel F-287, from camping world. I told my sales guy I will be doing a very detailed and careful walk through before signing any papers. He said average walk through is 30 mins …. After 3 hrs of finding issues, asking questions and having them fixed then what I have found wrong; the guy that was with me walked away and said he was done with me …. Still spent another hr before I finished …. They spent 2 days fixing the issues I found .. they were ****ed .. oh well… kept saying just sign all the paper work and they would get to the issues.. I wouldn’t sign anything till all issues were fixed.. So for your best interest thoroughly check every part of your new camper. Check all systems, open & close slides a few times. Take as long as need before you sign paper work.. once you sign your on their time schedule.. they own you.

cdhymas

I can't even begin to list all the issues I have had. Matter of fact it is and has been at the dealership for repairs for the last 3 months. Issues from awnings being wired backwards (in is out and out is in) to fuel tank gages being hooked to the wrong tanks, outside hitch controls not working, slide for the bedroom stuck out and had to drive 3 hours to get it back to town, screws everywhere. Be warned...if you don't want to be totally shocked NEVER go looking at the wiring. Biggest rats nest I have ever seen. $140k for an RV and this is what you get. I am by no means new to RV's, this is #4 for me. Really disgusted with how this thing is built. I am getting very close to getting a lawyer and evoking the lemon law.

thewanderingeight

I can't even begin to list all the issues I have had. Matter of fact it is and has been at the dealership for repairs for the last 3 months. Issues from awnings being wired backwards (in is out and out is in) to fuel tank gages being hooked to the wrong tanks, outside hitch controls not working, slide for the bedroom stuck out and had to drive 3 hours to get it back to town, screws everywhere. Be warned...if you don't want to be totally shocked NEVER go looking at the wiring. Biggest rats nest I have ever seen. $140k for an RV and this is what you get. I am by no means new to RV's, this is #4 for me. Really disgusted with how this thing is built. I am getting very close to getting a lawyer and evoking the lemon law.

You just nailed the problem on the head. In most states, RV’s do not get the same protection that automobiles do. If the laws were the same, we would most likely see a dramatic drop in manufacturing defects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhodies1

There will be no change in quality as long as there are only 3 major players in the game... they don’t have to build quality, and they know it,

Writing to the RV manufacturers and our state and federal representatives and news outlets about all the safety and quality concerns associated with the building of all RVs would be the proper way to get our concerns some attention.

Pazmer

I bought a 2021 Heartland Landmark Newport 365. Sticker was over $150K. Bought it from General RV in Canton Oh. Had over 100 issues. Dealer did nothing to address them. Had factory take it back to repair. Got it back after three months. New roof and slide out were just two issues. Still had numerous issues. They took it back for another three months. Got it back and could not unlock the brand new door. Original door fell apart after only 5 trips. Locks were changed and keys were locked inside. Two master keys later I get in to find lights on, half bath door swinging in the wind. Two major scratches on the outside. Refrigerator door not secure and more has dents. This is the third time for dented door. And the list goes on. Hundreds of issues, poor workmanship or lack there of. Stay away from this brand. Stay very far away. Worst purchase of my life. Spent way too much of a piece of crap. Couches were install with only 4 inch and a half wood screws. 4 windows replaced. Accent lights outside fell off. Water, waste and battery level indicators not working. Kitchen island had to be moved. Slide out was hitting it. Ceiling fan was bad. On and on and on.

Finally got the unit back after another 3 months at their plant only to discover two large scratches down each side, the keys did not work due to new door and morons did not secure refrigerator or freezer doors. Yes, dented to **** and back. So frustrated now that I have not looked at any other issues. Time to hire a lawyer.

Last edited:

2019_V22

There will be no change in quality as long as there are only 3 major players in the game... they don’t have to build quality, and they know it,
WRONG,, there will only be change in build quality when consumers instigate that change...But we as a nation suffer from entitlement issues, and continue to buy these poorly made products, over and over again, accepting and fixing things ourselves, and keep moving forward complaining.
My camper was my first, and I have addressed many many issues, I persisted, and got Heartland to fix the most critical ones. Going forward I am well informed now.