Sheets?!!?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Trying to get everything gathered before we pick up our new baby in March! I need sheets! But need to know if I can use regular king size sheets or if I have to buy RV sheets? If I have to use RV sheets - do you have any suggestions of a good brand?

Kelly (lets see how long it takes Michael to notice that I've posted!) :p

kkamshop

We put a 2 inch foam topper on the mattress and use regular king sheets - they don't fit tight like they should, but they stay on. I have one set that is shadow striped and that helps to figure out which way to start. The other set seems to be just as long as it is wide.

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Trying to get everything gathered before we pick up our new baby in March! I need sheets! But need to know if I can use regular king size sheets or if I have to buy RV sheets? If I have to use RV sheets - do you have any suggestions of a good brand?

Kelly (lets see how long it takes Michael to notice that I've posted!) :p

Kelly,
If you have sheets, by all means use them! You don't have to spend extra money for this. I do however have a suggestion for making the bed in your unit; get cheap table cloth (plastic one works) and put it under the mattress, that way you can pull the mattress down when you change sheets. The mattress does not slip off the frame but just makes it easier to move. We have a 4 inch foam topper and I use King sheets even though we have a queen mattress. :)

2psnapod2

Hi Sam,

Was so nice to meet you at the Tampa show! We really enjoyed taking with you.

We currently have a queen bed so will have to get new king sheets one way or the other - just wonder if it's better to get the RV sheets or if regular sheets will work.

I think we'll use the table cloth suggestion as I wondered what kind of feats we were gonna have to pull off to make the bed!

Also looks like from both posts that we should buy a foam topper to the bed!

Kelly

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Queen will fit, I use the king because that's what we have at our house! I do use queen also on the bed they will be snug but will not come off when you sleep (I know this because I'm a sleep mover!) If you do decide to get some king, find some at a discount store, they will be seconds but it will save you some money, as you will discover there is no end to what you can buy for the camper!
If you have extra stuff at home don't go out and buy new! Its easier to store things in the camper than you realize!
We are going to use our dinnerware and take out the plastic stuff we have (we're tired of eating on plastic!) We also have half of our REAL silverware in the camper, it's so nice to use a real fork instead of plastic or dollar store silverware LOL (I think they purposely bend the tines on them before shipping!)
ok I guess I've rambled enough.... good luck in you new venture! I'm excited for you both!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I like Sam's (MrsSouthernNights) suggestion for covering the board underneath the mattress. I put down contact paper which has worked well for 4 years but is now starting to come off. Guess I'll go buy somemore, pull the other off and reapply. With a smooth surface, it works great for sliding the mattress down for making the bed.

jnbhobe

Another way to go is to use peel & stick floor tile squares under the mattress it will slide real easy then.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
2psnapod, here is a good place for special fit sheets. CLICK HERE
We have purchased 2 sets of king sheets and a mattress pad for the BH and are pleased with the fit. The top sheet actually is "fitted" at the foot of the bed so you don't have to worry about having it pull out overnight.

2psnapod2

Hi Ray,

This is exactly what I was looking for! However, looking at the website it says for mattresses up to 9 inches in depth and Michael seems to think that our Key Largo's mattress will be 12 inches think...ugh! Does anyone know if thats true?

PS...Ray - we lived in Rhinelander, WI for 9 years, Dodgeville for 10 and our oldest son currently lives in Slinger WI (just north of Milwaukee)...glad to see you're a part time Wisconsinite!

Kelly

dieselsweetheart

Hi Kelly, I can't emphasize enough the importance of getting a good foam topper for that mattress. One night on it without one and you will understand what we all mean. I also use regular sheets for our BH bed but the top sheet doesn't tuck in... I like the idea of a fitted top sheet but I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy them special at extra cost. You might even be able to make them yourself if you sew or know someone who does! But it's not a big deal to readjust in the morning when you make the bed...

Congrats on your new RV and hope to see you at a national rally someday!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hi Ray,

This is exactly what I was looking for! However, looking at the website it says for mattresses up to 9 inches in depth and Michael seems to think that our Key Largo's mattress will be 12 inches think...ugh! Does anyone know if thats true?

PS...Ray - we lived in Rhinelander, WI for 9 years, Dodgeville for 10 and our oldest son currently lives in Slinger WI (just north of Milwaukee)...glad to see you're a part time Wisconsinite!

Kelly

Kelly...yes, the mattress is a 12" with a built in foam top...I'd try it before adding any topper to it. It looks and feels like a really nice mattress, especially in an RV...

2psnapod2

Thanks, everyone! Looks like we found a website (http://www.bedderbedding.net) that makes custom sheets (lots of different options: bottom of top sheet elasticized, sewed or velcroed etc) and I have a friend who's MIL sews and she is checking to see if she would be able to make some sheets.

Since we will be full-timing we are want comfort and if we have to pay a little extra we'll do that. I sat on the mattress at the Tampa show and wasn't real impressed so we'll wait til we pick ours up and see how it feels before we buy a topper.

caissiel

When we got our new 2009 trailer we went shopping for a new matress. The king in the trailers are the same lenght as a queen mattress. So we modified the bed frame to suit a queen and I have been leeping great for the past 2 years.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We used the original bed for a little over a year and it got to bad for us to keep using it. Or chiropractor strongly suggested that we get a natural rubber bed to stay away from the formaldehyde exposure of most foam rubber mattresses. He did say to stay away from spring mattresses.

The normal King Mattress in an RV is 80" x 72". We found ours to be a very tight fit and with the particle board on the platform it makes it very difficult to pull the mattress out. I went to a store that has Linoleum and tile. I bought some remnant Linoleum and glued it to the surface of the bed platform. It works great.

We did order a all natural foam mattress but had it made 80" x 71" to make it easier to pull out.

Our king size sheets are bigger than the mattress so we just tuck in the bottom sheet and we sewed the corners of the top sheet to fit around the sides of the mattress.

Works great for us and we sleep very well.

Hope you have fun with your new Landmark. Don't get in to big of an hurry to buy things. There is always a Wally World, Lowes or Home Depot close by to get the things you need. Many of us first started out buying everything we thought we needed only to end up getting rid of them later on. Be Patient and take your time.

BC

2psnapod2

Thanks Bob, we are not planning on buying much. Needed new pots and pans and some kitchen items. Most of what we had was pretty heavy pottery bowls and such. My wife has been busy resupplying her kitchen with new stuff. Some of the old stuff we have sold, some is going in storage and other items are being inherited by our sons. Some they don't even know they are getting. But most of the storage stuff is what we had in the old SOB and stuff we had stored stuff around here. We have been down sizing our possessions for about 5 years now. So we are not buying much. I have water hose, sewer hose and that kind of stuff so we will be good to go at least on that stuff. We are upgrading to a King bed from a queen, so we do need to buy sheets. We had a new Lands End Blanket that we bought a while back that we are exchanging to a king. But other than that we don't plan on buying that much. Thanks for the advice. I read every post and store things that I think I need and the other are there in the forum if I find we need anything else. We are having so much fun getting things ready to move into the LM. This is making the wait somewhat doable.

Michael

rvn4fun

On our Big Country we use regular king sheets. The bed in our rv is 6 inches narrower then a regular king bed, but sheets still fit. We found the exact dimensions out when we had to replace the matress, because the one that comes with the unit is a throw away.