Should we be concerned with this scenerio?

uncledon

Her chauffeur
In the process of purchasing a new 2015 Bighorn. It's never been owned. When we looked over the unit a couple of weeks ago we found a number of things that needed attention. Most were items that had been "cannibalized" by the dealer. Not a problem as they would all be corrected. The biggest concern was with an area of the exterior wall on the door side above the basement hatch. The wall had ripples in it that looked like it had no adhered correctly at the factory. We were told that it would go into the body shop and would be fixed properly.

Fast-forward to today when I get a call from the salesman who informs me that Heartland wants to repair the issue at the factory. That's fine, I guess. The salesman says we can do it one of a few different ways...

(1) Heartland will have unit shipped to factory and back to dealer, but cannot do work until November.

(2) We can use the unit until it needs to go to factory and then bring it to dealer who will get it to factory.

(3) We can use the unit and we can take it to the factory.

That's all fine, but we are planning on leaving Michigan for an extended trip south in November. The salesman says that's fine too and that we can get the warranty work done in the spring as it's a 1 year warranty. Anyone have any advice on any of this? I've never had to deal with Heartland on warranty work, but it sounds like the dealer and the factory have talked about this situation as the unit was at the local body shop and then pulled when Heartland said they wanted to do the work.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Oregon_Camper

Not sure why, but that has my internal "Whoa....wait a second there cowboy" alert message going off in my head.

Knowing there is damage to the point the dealer has to send it back to Heartland, would make me walk away from that RV. And that is only the damage you can SEE...what is really under there and will only be discovered once it is at the factory (and you've already purchased it).

Go-Fly

Not sure why, but that has my internal "Whoa....wait a second there cowboy" alert message going off in my head.

Knowing there is damage to the point the dealer has to send it back to Heartland, would make me walk away from that RV. And that is only the damage you can SEE...what is really under there and will only be discovered once it is at the factory (and you've already purchased it).

This ^^^^^^^^^^ x2.

NewHopians

I agree had a different brand and so many problems with factory doing work. Had to attorney before I got a new rig. Now love our Bighorn but, that sounds scary. Walk away.

MCTalley

While I might be willing to accept the unit and have it fixed sometime under the one year warranty, I would want a really screaming deal on the unit. We're not allowed to discuss actual prices here, but I think I'd like to get at least 40-45% off MSRP (easy enough to find out from Heartland). Remember, too, though it is "new", it is a 2015. Heartland is already making 2018 model trailers.

Our current rig was a year old by the build date when we bought it. We got what I consider a pretty good deal on it (around 35% off MSRP). We knew that it had been in an indoor showroom for most of that year so that the exterior was in pretty mint condition. You can tell the interior had been walked through a bit, but we were willing to live with that.

If you do take it and decide to drop by Heartland to get the bodywork fixed on your dime, I'd get something in writing regarding being reimbursed for mileage and/or expenses, depending on situation (or work that into your screaming deal).

kowAlski631

Not only would we want a spectacular deal, we'd want written guarantees from not just the dealer but countersigned by Heartland. Dealers can say anything to get the deal done, but end of the day it'll be Heartland to do the work. Make sure they're 100% in agreement.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Not only would we want a spectacular deal, we'd want written guarantees from not just the dealer but countersigned by Heartland. Dealers can say anything to get the deal done, but end of the day it'll be Heartland to do the work. Make sure they're 100% in agreement.
Yes, good point. DW and I talked and I will be asking for dealers contact and # at Heartland and making a call.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Garypowell

I have been through the HL repair facility twice and both excellent experiences. Great people and excellent work. They even fixed a few things that were not on my list that they spotted.

Frame me flex was first on the list.

Had ad crack in sidewall that looked cosmetic....they did that too.

A week later cosmetic fix cracked. Next opportunity they had me back and tore into side wall and totally fixed the frame

I believe in these people. It seems most who have had second failure don't (or can't go back due to distance) go back to factory.

I would get ahold of HL repair people (I can give you some names but the dealership should be able to) and call them to hear what they think is wrong and what they will do to fix it.

it would seem that on the way to FL you drop it odd and Dona side trip for the week they will keep it......let the dealership pay for that trip.

I assume you are getting a killer deal......but if not the negotiations are now open again.