Shower Hose Smell

RVFun4Us

Getting a skunky smell for the first couple of seconds when turning on the shower and running the hot water. Took off shower hose and head and put in a baking soda/vinegar solution for a couple of hours. The hose still smelled after doing this so think the plastic hose needs to be replaced since it evidently has been infiltrated by something causing the smell. We were at a campground in May that had a high sulfur content in the water and suspect that may have compromised the hose since we did not have the problem before that. Shower head appears to be OK. Secondly, getting a musty smell from the shower drain. Went behind the storage wall and removed the shower p-trap and cleaned. Also cleaned up the stand pipe to the drain. After doing this, the smell is still there. Since the p-trap is full of water, the smell must be coming from the pipe going from the drain to the p-trap. Both Air Admittance Valves have been replaced by Studor valves in the bathroom sink and kitchen sink. Have used a baking soda/vinegar mix in the past down the shower drain. Also have put a bleach mixture down there to possibly help. Running out of ideas on how to fix this smell issue. And yes, I have replaced the anode rod also and run a bleach mixture in the hot water tank.

wdk450

More likely your hot water tank is compromised from the high sulfur water. I suggest you do a hot water heater maintenece, draining and flushing out any residue, cleaning the electric heating element with a wire wheel on your electric drill, and similarly cleaning off the sacrificial anode rod (if you have one). See: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/Water Heater Usage Guide V1.1.pdf

The flusher wand referred to on the user guide looks like this: RV Water Heater Flusher Wand.jpg

RVFun4Us

More likely your hot water tank is compromised from the high sulfur water. I suggest you do a hot water heater maintenece, draining and flushing out any residue, cleaning the electric heating element with a wire wheel on your electric drill, and similarly cleaning off the sacrificial anode rod (if you have one). See: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/Water Heater Usage Guide V1.1.pdf

The flusher wand referred to on the user guide looks like this: View attachment 65947
I have done all that. Flushed the hot water tank with the wand that you suggested and that I have on hand. Sanitized the tank with bleach mixture in spring but not since the sulfur incident. And how in the world would you wire brush the electric elements without pulling the tank out and removing the elements? The anode rod was replaced since the sulfur incident so all is good there.

Bobby A

I have done all that. Flushed the hot water tank with the wand that you suggested and that I have on hand. Sanitized the tank with bleach mixture in spring but not since the sulfur incident. And how in the world would you wire brush the electric elements without pulling the tank out and removing the elements? The anode rod was replaced since the sulfur incident so all is good there.
On my unit the heating element is located behind a black plastic cover on the outside of your water heater, I had to remove the burner tube first. Its not that difficult, just take your time and watch what your doing for reassembly.

wdk450

I wanted to add to this thread from recent personal experience. I have not had the sulfur water smell problem for a long time until about 4 months ago when my Scalesweeper electronic water descaler stopped working due to a poor electrical installation by me that allowed leaking hose connection water to drip onto the 120 volt AC to 18 volt Ac power cube transformer. The GFI blew a few times and eventually the transformer quit working. I gave this job a low priority, it took me about 4 months to order a new cube transformer off E-Bay and get it wired in. IN THE MEANTIME, I NOTICED THAT MY WATER DEVELOPED THE STRONG SUFUR SMELL. After i got the Scalesweeper working again, I noticed that the sulfur smell in the water was gone in short order.

Just my experience.
https://www.amazon.com/Field-Contro...1&keywords=scalesweeper&qid=1628966302&sr=8-4

RVFun4Us

I think my Oxigenics Shower Head and hose might be compromised. We can smell the skunky smell on the hose when just hanging in the shower. The sulfur addition may have permeated the hose since it is plastic/vinyl. Will try replacing that before moving on to the other things mentioned. Guess we won't stay at that RV park again if the sulfur is so high there..