Showers

jerryjay11

While boondocking plan your route around truckers' service centers with shower facilities thus extending the gray water tank usage. When it comes to black water tank, well remember the solids need to be washed down, only use enough water to get the job done.

danemayer

While boondocking plan your route around truckers' service centers with shower facilities thus extending the gray water tank usage. When it comes to black water tank, well remember the solids need to be washed down, only use enough water to get the job done.

Hi jerryjay11,

Most people find it pays to be liberal with water when flushing the toilet. If you have solids building up on the bottom of the tank, it can become very difficult to flush the tank.

Lynn1130

And I can tell you right now that my wife is going no where near a truck stop to use trucker showers. Sorry, just ain't going to happen.

There are lists of dump stations around the country that either are free or charge a small fee to dump your tanks.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm certainly not arguing with your wife, but several years ago when I was delivering RV's for short time, I used truck stop showers frequently. The showers were kept spick and span and I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Tsys100718

I'm certainly not arguing with your wife, but several years ago when I was delivering RV's for short time, I used truck stop showers frequently. The showers were kept spick and span and I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

I drove semi-truck for a number of years and if you stick to reputable truck stops you are correct. TA's for example or Flying J's. Most will even let couples use the same shower either together or separately. This way maybe your wife would not be so apprehensive.

Lynn1130

It really has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the showers or facilities it has to do with the people who hang around these and other such facilities. This is NOT a slam on truckers as they are great people or at least most are. We have several over the road truckers in the family. It has to do with the others who are there for one reason or another. I am retired LEO and have some experience with the situations that arise around these places.

I will add that two of my daughters walked from the motel we were staying in recently, across the street and across the truck stop fueling area (Loves)to an eating facility there. They came back commenting on the comments made to them, the wolf whistles, and other inappropriate actions when they walked the area.

Generally we warn against hanging around rest stops. Truck stops are near to them in problem areas.

Most are not problems but how do you know which one's those are?

ATM

When random camping we do a lot of outdoor showers. A couple of tarps attached near the back of the trailer in a "V" pattern provide privacy and allow easy in and out access. We pick up water from local lakes or streams so we are not using our fresh water. We heat the water either over a open camp fire or a turkey deep fryer burner and use a small drill pump and a flower pot water nozzle with a long handle.