Sidearm choice- for the wife.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Looking at upgrading/updating the wife's choice in handgun. She currently has a simple Taurus 38. Very good for several years but showing some wear and play in the cylinder. She has small fingers and grip. Prefers a revolver for its simplicity in loading and safety, but with some practice, I think she would like a semi. Any suggestions??

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
There are a lot of places where she can go and try out 10 different weapons during the class. This is the best way as each person is different and each weapon will feel differently for each individual.
Don't buy her a weapon unless she has the ability to shoot it and ensure it is a good fit for her and her hand. Opinions don't matter until you know which weapon she is able to handle properly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I were to buy a gun I have heard good things about the Glock 42 and 43.

Peace
Dave

Wmnmy

Ar-15 pistol and 38 special long barrel is DW gun of choice and she is very comfortable with it...

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
J frame Lady Smith .38/.357 or a Glock 19 9mm. Go to a range that rents various ones and just let her try them out. Most importantly let her decide which one is best for her. Safe travels.

weekender01

There are a lot of places where she can go and try out 10 different weapons during the class. This is the best way as each person is different and each weapon will feel differently for each individual.
Don't buy her a weapon unless she has the ability to shoot it and ensure it is a good fit for her and her hand. Opinions don't matter until you know which weapon she is able to handle properly.

This is the best advice out of all the replies. She needs to try various brands and styles to see what works for her.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I know the final decision is hers, but I wanted to get recommendations to try to narrow down the choices. She handles my small framed Taurus PT111 well but there are smaller, thinner gripped options out there.

porthole

Retired
I know the final decision is hers, but I wanted to get recommendations to try to narrow down the choices. She handles my small framed Taurus PT111 well but there are smaller, thinner gripped options out there.

If you were close by we could run over to my club and try several. I have in compact single stack a XDS, Walther PPS and the S&W Bodyguard. I got the Bodyguard for Deb, she will not shoot it. Too small and to snappy for her. I don'e like shooting it as well. Ammo is at least 50% more then 9mm

Tombstonejim

My wife just went thru this. She was carrying a Ruger LCP380. But it hurt her hand to shoot it and she found most semi's to be too hard for her to work the slide without a lot of effort. She tried several revolvers and found the trigger pull on most was too heavy for her. She can shoot them but not as well as she likes. She found the best for her was a hammerless Ruger LCR in 38spc. Lots of people recommended the LCR in 22 mag and she liked it. Specially the recoil but again the trigger pull on the 22 is 2 lbs heaver than the 38 because the rim fire needs a heavier striker and she did not like that. Her final choice was the hammerless LCR in 38. She loads it with Hornady critical defense LITE. A reduced recoil critical defense round http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/

JanAndBill

If she's dealing with me the "sidearm" of choice is usually a backhand if I'm in range :rolleyes: For others it's a Sig P238 .380. She doesn't have a lot of strength in her hands anymore, and it was the only one she could "comfortably" hold and rack the slide.

avvidclif

My wife just went thru this. She was carrying a Ruger LCP380. But it hurt her hand to shoot it and she found most semi's to be too hard for her to work the slide without a lot of effort. She tried several revolvers and found the trigger pull on most was too heavy for her. She can shoot them but not as well as she likes. She found the best for her was a hammerless Ruger LCR in 38spc. Lots of people recommended the LCR in 22 mag and she liked it. Specially the recoil but again the trigger pull on the 22 is 2 lbs heaver than the 38 because the rim fire needs a heavier striker and she did not like that. Her final choice was the hammerless LCR in 38. She loads it with Hornady critical defense LITE. A reduced recoil critical defense round http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/

It's a proven fact that in a shooting situation (gunfight) you won't feel recoil nor hear the gun go off. The ability to work the slide is enhanced by adrenaline. Non-factor. Neither my wife or I carry firearms that are not ready to use. IE: just pull the trigger, the slide will take care of itself. None of this not one in the chamber BS.

On the practice range if she can't load the clip or work the slide I help. All I can say is if the red dot's on you start moving FAST.