Single Rear Wheel or Duals?

JanAndBill

Ok I've got the fever to upgrade. Currently have a dually, but seriously looking at a single rear wheel, with a short bed in hopes of fitting it in the garage (dually currently resides in the shed). I'm really concerned about the stability of towing my fifth wheel, because right now, it's as stable as a rock, and I'd be really upset to spend that much money and not be satisfied. The difference in price is not as important as the towing ability, but the ability to get it in the garage would be nice. I know there are many out there with single rears, how about some feedback on your experiences.

Bones

Some of us had to upgrade from SRW to gain the stability needed as well as capacity. Why go backwards?

MTPockets

We all see many anecdotal stories/testaments about SRW trucks and ability to tow "just fine for years" "no problem". Etc. Payload capacity for the actual truck is one necessary number. Mfg specs show higher than actual truck due to options and cab style. I know of more than one who ordered the SRW truck because the spec sheet said payload capacity was over 4000 lbs, in one case it was 5000 lbs... The new truck was ordered and delivered with a tag that said 3500 lbs., which is more normal. Your Big Horn fully loaded is the other weight you need to know. Not a percentage of total, but actual. My fully loaded 3055RL is 3400 lbs pin weight. We're full time, so may be heavy, but you only know with actual scaled weight. My guess is you need the DRW, but only by using actual numbers can you be sure.
PS, also payload includes passengers, hitch weight, toolbox, auxiliary fuel tank, etc

B

BouseBill

Towed with two different SRW Dodge trucks, currently tow with the F-450, will not go back to a SRW, IMHO you would be making a big mistake.

jdfishing

I've never owned or towed with a DRW, so I can't make the comparison to a SRW. But I will say that my SRW 2016 RAM 3500 short bed tows my Bighorn just fine. I have towed in many different conditions; rain, high winds, slushy slippery mountain roads, steep upgrades and downgrades on narrow mountain roads, etc. I have never had problems or felt any sense of concern with the way the truck and trailer handled. I also wanted a truck I could park in my garage and drive around town with ease. I just don't see the need for a DRW for a 14,000 - 16,000 trailer.

caissiel

We have many full timers in our park. There is mostly SRWs towing large Fifth wheels. I can count on one hand the duellies.
Most of them tow much smaller older trailers except one with a similar sized trailer to mine. Honestly there are a good number of newer Rams 3500 and 2500.
We are 5 units above 37ft parked in a row all SRWs towing.

Kbvols

I tow with a 2014 SRW 3500 and it does great. Prior to this I had a 2001 SRW 2500 and I also thought it towed great however the difference between the 14 and the 01 are significant in my opinion and I would not want to go back to the 01. With you having a DRW I believe you may be disappointed if you go back to a SRW...

z06

Have had both. While the SRW truck handled OK, the DRW handles fantastic. No question that the DRW is a safer tv. I believe you will regret downgrading to a SRW.

szewczyk_john

Since the poster asked about parking in a garage I just wanted to make a few comments about that. Width wise, a dually is only as wide as the mirrors. So if you can get the mirror in without folding them in, then the rear will fit also, you may not be able to walk around it but it can fit. You also mentioned a short bed, so I'm guessing that length also plays a part in this decision. You might want to consider a short bed dually truck. I know the RAM lineup and you can get a standard cab, crew cab, or even the mega cab with a short bed box with dual rear wheels.

GWRam

Szewczyk_john,
Good point on the different cab configurations. The mega cab short bed is on the same frame as the long bed crew cab, so it is longer than a crew cab short bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HornedToad

Don't forget about the height. My old house had a 7ft high garage door with a one inch lip on the floor and my old 2008 F250 4x4 with 20" rims would not clear, nor would my 2013 F350 4x4 dually with stock steel rims. If the dually didn't have the cab top running lights or the floor didn't have the lip it would have barely made it. We're building a new house and I'm having them install an 8ft X 16ft garage door and extend the length to 26 ft with a 3 ft tire stop.

The guy that bought my old house has an F250 with stock rims that fits under the 7ft garage door.

hoefler

Szewczyk_john,
Good point on the different cab configurations. The mega cab short bed is on the same frame as the long bed crew cab, so it is longer than a crew cab short bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, Megs/short bed is the same as Quad/long bed. The crew/long bed is the longest in the fleet.

Dean-Pam

I just upgraded from a SRW GMC 2500HD CC Shortbed to a DRW Chevy 3500 CC Longbed. Fitting in the garage was a concern, but it does fit. I have to fold the camper mirrors to go through the door. Side to side clearance is 3 inches each side and front to back clearance is 5 inches each. I haven't towed yet, but looking forward to the first tow.

JanAndBill

The existing shed/cover next to my shop is only a few steps away from the house, so being in the garage is not absolute necessity. We had large doors put in when we built in anticipation of parking a larger truck, however I'm not sure that we calculated right on the length. Will need to take some measurements to be sure. Having put up with tail wag and instability on previous combinations, I no intention of going back to that. Guess I need to get the tape measure out.

Dean-Pam

JanandBill, good luck on the length. My garage was 22ft 5in in length and the new truck was 21ft 7in in length. I am now looking for a new hitch, leaning towards the B&W Companion. What hitch did/do you have on your dually and would you keep it if you upgrade to a new dually? Thanks

avvidclif

Don't forget about the height. My old house had a 7ft high garage door with a one inch lip on the floor and my old 2008 F250 4x4 with 20" rims would not clear, nor would my 2013 F350 4x4 dually with stock steel rims. If the dually didn't have the cab top running lights or the floor didn't have the lip it would have barely made it. We're building a new house and I'm having them install an 8ft X 16ft garage door and extend the length to 26 ft with a 3 ft tire stop.

The guy that bought my old house has an F250 with stock rims that fits under the 7ft garage door.

Just go whole hog and put in a 14x25 that is 45' deep and you can have the RV, Dually and car all in there.....

dave10a

I have never felt a stability or handling problem with my rig. I don't even know I am pulling a heavy trailer--- until I do a panic stop.