Slide Awning Rolled Up Onto Slide Out

Greetings all. On my 28brs I had a Dometic slide topper installed on our slide out. On our first trip we noticed a bump and the slide tilted down when viewed from inside, when extending. Looking at it from outside I saw the roller tube had rolled over the slide flange and was now on top of the slide out. It was firmly jammed. I had a mobile awning repair outfit come out and they said it was mounted too low, so they remounted it higher with new brackets. It now works fine but the fabric is now sloped the wrong way, towards the side of the trailer. The original brackets which they left in place, are clearly bent towards the side of the slide out. So, the question is, how could this have happened? Any ideas?

Attachments

• A93A89A3-7C0C-45F5-8499-66EAF002022A.jpg
    A93A89A3-7C0C-45F5-8499-66EAF002022A.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 81433BEC-F40C-4C86-B208-C6C0FFC433CB.jpg
    81433BEC-F40C-4C86-B208-C6C0FFC433CB.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 62

danemayer

If those are the "after" pictures, it appears that the slide roller is at best centered over the outer wall of the slide. Ours and every one I've ever seen the roller is mounted to the outside of the slide outer wall, with a slight gap. On ours, the shaft that the roller is mounted on is a hex shape. If that's what you have, I think the roller needs to be rotated at least one surface of the hex-shaft to the outside.

I can't tell if the mounting shaft is hex-shaped on yours. If it's not, whatever is supposed to keep it the roller from rotating on the shaft is probably not holding well.
Slide topper brackets and roller.jpgSlide topper brackets and roller 2.jpg

No hex shaft on this one. The bracket screwed on the side wall has a long “tab” that a slot on the arm engages when slid over it. The tabs were bent when the roll of fabric rotated over the slide flange. These are after pictures.

If those are the "after" pictures, it appears that the slide roller is at best centered over the outer wall of the slide. Ours and every one I've ever seen the roller is mounted to the outside of the slide outer wall, with a slight gap. On ours, the shaft that the roller is mounted on is a hex shape. If that's what you have, I think the roller needs to be rotated at least one surface of the hex-shaft to the outside.

I can't tell if the mounting shaft is hex-shaped on yours. If it's not, whatever is supposed to keep it the roller from rotating on the shaft is probably not holding well.
View attachment 62542View attachment 62543

danemayer

If the tabs are bent, you probably need replacement mounting brackets and someone who understands how the roller is supposed to be positioned.